Dealer crossthreaded a lug--recourse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asand1
Plastic radiator tanks certainly don't need help cracking. I think your was a coincident or purely from the stress of pressing down and turning one last time.

I MIGHT believe that IF this place had also not stripped
EIGHT studs on BOTH front wheels.

I've replaced a few lugs. Nothing to it in most instances. Cheap, to be sure. A set of nuts, maybe not so much.

Put the nut on it a bit and go get a BFH. Bang it out. Put the new one in, put a bunch of washers on it, and use the nut to pull it into the hub.

Then I"d go back to the dealer to show them what they did and either get a replacement nut, or set thereof, and some consideration for time, expenditures, and trouble.

I go in today for this; when I went in yesterday they didn't give me grief. I verified yesterday that it would be free.

I am tempted to go home and break loose the nuts, and retorque, "just to make sure".

I would absolutely make sure.

A local Chrysler dealer cross-threaded one of the wheel bolts on a 2003 Grand Caravan we once owned. They fixed it. I went home to make sure. Now a different one was cross-threaded. I took it back. They replaced ALL FIVE wheel bolts. I went home to make sure. Finally...they got it right.

That was aggravating. No cost to me. But their 5-Star service sign is a joke. It says that the customer should never have to be the QA on a job. Ha.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I would absolutely make sure.

A local Chrysler dealer cross-threaded one of the wheel bolts on a 2003 Grand Caravan we once owned. They fixed it. I went home to make sure. Now a different one was cross-threaded. I took it back. They replaced ALL FIVE wheel bolts. I went home to make sure. Finally...they got it right.

That was aggravating. No cost to me. But their 5-Star service sign is a joke. It says that the customer should never have to be the QA on a job. Ha.

Good call. One lug was only half tight. Another... not so good. Something nicked the threads halfway down. It threads on halfway, then needs a good amount of force (nothing crazy, but certainly not something you can do with fingers). I dressed it best I could with a file, it's not so bad, but I doubt you could remove the lug if it was jacked up.

Maybe it was an honest mistake, I dunno; or maybe this is the new stud and it was defective out of the box. (didn't look to compare colors). But when I rotated tires the four good lugs didn't have this issue. If they hand threaded on, then zipped in with the airgun, they would have missed it. Maybe it doesn't matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back