Daughter failed test in grad school ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am nearly done with a PHD in an engineering field. The concepts are TOUGH, abstract and filld with complex math.

My wife is a DPT, and I recall her hard times going through that. She lost at least 50% of her class, so one has to realize that they do make it tough to weed out the weaker students. But to me at least, that alone is a motivator.

Look at your signature line... "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
Ayn Rand".

That desire to achieve is why she is feeling bad, so she needs to just channel the energy in a positive way and use it to work harder and excel. My wife had to know all kinds of crazy stuff in DPT school. Neuro-related classes as I recall were the hardest. Its not a cakewalk, and you really need to know the down and dirty details of all aspects of the Human body, both from a physical standpoint, but also all the medical stuff like a doctor has to learn, because it is a matter of treatment with and around a lot of the same ailments.

Here is a perspective... Ive heard that Chemical Engineering is harder than Med school academically. Ive done it at a top 10 program undergrad, and got through it, and now am finishing up my doctorate. Looking back at all the stuff that my wife had to learn in what amount of time doing her DPT, both the breadth of info, the amount of it, the timescale to master it all and also build the professional knowledge, it was TOUGH and I never envied her schedule, the material she had to learn, or anything else, despite coming from a tough set myself. It was hard stuff. So she really is in a tough field, that is very challenging and takes a lot to get through. I think she should be proud to be in the program and be getting through. One failure is just something to chalk up to experience. Learn from it, channel the energy, and run with it.

She isnt doing something easy. She needs to remember that.

Good luck to her.

Being recently out of grad school I can attest that expectations are different between it and undergrad, and that is a good thing. I made easy A's even in undergrad engineering school, but I failed many tests on my way to an MS. It was good for me to have my butt kicked a few times and really have to struggle with the content my professors presented. I worked hard and got good grades in the end. It was a very valuable experience for me. Also, being someone that always got good grades easily it was a good life lesson to be truly worried about passing a class!

I'm reading/enjoying all that you guys are posting. Thanks I appreciate the info on your wife and her trials JHZR2. I will forward that to my daughter.

I Pm'ed Oilboy with our family's recent "failure story".

In it, I also told him that when I embraced the "failure = success" concept, I told my work supervisor that I was going to start trying to fail much more often. My supervisor was not amused.
grin.gif

My boss's daughter was your typical straight-A student. She could repeat facts as presented, do math, etc. Then she got forced into an art class and was out of her element. Teacher said "make me something" and her response was "What do you want me to make?" She was stuck in a teacher-pleasing mode that she picked up in kindergarten!

Needless to say that class made her think, which is why we go to school. If you just want to repeat facts, work as a librarian!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I am nearly done with a PHD in an engineering field. The concepts are TOUGH, abstract and filld with complex math.

My wife is a DPT, and I recall her hard times going through that. She lost at least 50% of her class, so one has to realize that they do make it tough to weed out the weaker students. But to me at least, that alone is a motivator.

Look at your signature line... "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
Ayn Rand".

That desire to achieve is why she is feeling bad, so she needs to just channel the energy in a positive way and use it to work harder and excel. My wife had to know all kinds of crazy stuff in DPT school. Neuro-related classes as I recall were the hardest. Its not a cakewalk, and you really need to know the down and dirty details of all aspects of the Human body, both from a physical standpoint, but also all the medical stuff like a doctor has to learn, because it is a matter of treatment with and around a lot of the same ailments.

Here is a perspective... Ive heard that Chemical Engineering is harder than Med school academically. Ive done it at a top 10 program undergrad, and got through it, and now am finishing up my doctorate. Looking back at all the stuff that my wife had to learn in what amount of time doing her DPT, both the breadth of info, the amount of it, the timescale to master it all and also build the professional knowledge, it was TOUGH and I never envied her schedule, the material she had to learn, or anything else, despite coming from a tough set myself. It was hard stuff. So she really is in a tough field, that is very challenging and takes a lot to get through. I think she should be proud to be in the program and be getting through. One failure is just something to chalk up to experience. Learn from it, channel the energy, and run with it.

She isnt doing something easy. She needs to remember that.

Good luck to her.

Diff EQ and calc 3 were a son of a gun here at Iowa State. Organic chemistry isn't fun either! I can only image how tough your classes are. Good luck!

PT is NOT an easy field to get into. I'm doing the same as your daughter, just plugging away. She needs to keep her chin up and keep her head in the game..
Dusty

Yes she was really out of her element trying to get into a school for the graduate program. Very competitive. Good luck with your PT endeavors.
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
PT is NOT an easy field to get into. I'm doing the same as your daughter, just plugging away. She needs to keep her chin up and keep her head in the game..
Dusty

Originally Posted by oilboy123
She has always done outstanding in all her years of schooling. She has done well since starting in the fall at University of New England. She just told me she failed a test and feels like a failure today.
I tried to lift her up today and she was beating herself up.......It was hard for me to let her know that this is just a blip in the road to her becoming a physical therapist.

Any motivational words you can impart to her are appreciated. I might let her see this thread.....But don't know if that is the best idea at the moment. Thanks
The existence of problems with the examination is a bad problem. Your daughter should read this one - https://steemit.com/learning/@charlesksigler/learning-by-thinking-how-reflection-improves - article to understand that learning is the main aspect of her life that is why she should not have problems with the exam.

Wow, thread back from the dead.

Six years later--I wonder if the OP's daughter made it.

Originally Posted by supton

I got folding money that says she did.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14

wink.gif

Yup!

P.S. How is your "drinks lots'a coffee" little lady?

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Astro14

wink.gif

Yup!

P.S. How is your "drinks lots'a coffee" little lady?

You're very kind to remember!

Thank you!

She is quite well.

Finishing her 4th year of medical school, and just finished 15 residency program interviews. Her little sister keeps a similar pace, and is in her freshman year of college. Visited her a few days ago, and after an art museum tour, we stopped by the coffee shop...

It is not about being perfect, but did she learn from it and what did she learn from it?

Maybe it is a different field than in the past that she is not yet adjusted to? Maybe it is finally something challenging and will make her learn from it? She still has decades ahead of her, a test won't matter down the road.

Failed test on paper is just paper. How we deal with it outside in the real world is more important. She will be fine. We can not be afraid to fail and if we are then we won't even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back