Dash cam - driver stops on highway for birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only idiot in that whole situation was not the other driver who stopped. You were following too close its that simple.
Its you that need to go back to driving school.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If you can watch that video and think that guy was 100% justified in stopping like that, then I would advise you to go to driving school for remedial.

Nah. 30+ years of not running over living critters NOR getting rear-ended while panic-stopping on highways, I must be doing something right. But thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I learned from a Mr. Hurley, the football coach, how to drive in drivers ed in a new 1962 Ford Falcon. Mr. Hurley taught not to follow too close so if there is any situation ahead, you won't be too close to stop. It could be birds, children, whatever, if someone stops and you run into them, it is your bad driving that causes the accident, not his. Mr. Hurley showed us about not tailgating and keeping a safe distance. It's not for people to judge why someone stops, just to mind their own affairs and not hit the car in front.

That's the basic rule of the road, you must be able to stop the vehicle if someone panic stops in front of you. It doesn't matter 55, 65 or 100 mph.
It makes no difference if its bird, bricks, metal, people, etc whatever the reason is you must be in control at all times. Anyone that ever rode a motorcycle for a longer time and is still living knows this all too well.

In Germany and other countries they often measure your distance between cars and if its too close you loose your license and get a fine and rightfully so.

Page 49 of the Florida Driver's Manual says break for animals:

"If you have time to avoid hitting an animal, reduce your speed, ... If there are no vehicles close behind you, brake hard without locking your wheels."

Says nothing about it's illegal to come to a complete stop on any road because of animals in the road. This is all going to depend on who's driving, as each person will have their own idea of what's prudent about avoiding animals on the road.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/englishdriverhandbook.pdf

My three year old was in the back seat, there were cars coming up behind me (rapidly), tires screeching, and I swerved left so as to not get rear ended. I'm actually surprised that moron man didn't get rear ended himself. You see the birds on the video, before I saw them. I didn't see them until I was in the left lane, as my attention had been diverted to the rear view/side mirrors to see how much space I had before I got rear ended.

What you're saying doesn't really match what I'm seeing. I'm seeing brake lights in front of you long before you apparently do anything about it. The other driver slowing down to a stop is obviously not good, but it looks like you were given plenty of warning which you should have reacted to by slowing down yourself. But yes, it's easy to pick apart these situations after the fact when you can watch it over and over again.

I think you're just wound up because you had a close call with your child in the car, which is understandable.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I learned from a Mr. Hurley, the football coach, how to drive in drivers ed in a new 1962 Ford Falcon. Mr. Hurley taught not to follow too close so if there is any situation ahead, you won't be too close to stop. It could be birds, children, whatever, if someone stops and you run into them, it is your bad driving that causes the accident, not his. Mr. Hurley showed us about not tailgating and keeping a safe distance. It's not for people to judge why someone stops, just to mind their own affairs and not hit the car in front.

That's the basic rule of the road, you must be able to stop the vehicle if someone panic stops in front of you. It doesn't matter 55, 65 or 100 mph.
It makes no difference if its bird, bricks, metal, people, etc whatever the reason is you must be in control at all times. Anyone that ever rode a motorcycle for a longer time and is still living knows this all too well.

In Germany and other countries they often measure your distance between cars and if its too close you loose your license and get a fine and rightfully so.

Trav,
with all due respect, can you tell the other BITOG-ers, how long is the practice period (both car and book) for a full-adult-can-drive-at-any-time German driving license?
Just to compare German average driver with US average driver....

About 14hrs each theory and on the road is minimum. Many go for many more on the road hours and the written and road test is difficult and its not cheap.
The motorcycle license 1A is very difficult, time consuming and cost a lot of money. The bottom line is you have to be able to drive/ride, not just aim the thing. There is no such thing as a learners permit, you must go to a driving school.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
What you're saying doesn't really match what I'm seeing. I'm seeing brake lights in front of you long before you apparently do anything about it. The other driver slowing down to a stop is obviously not good, but it looks like you were given plenty of warning which you should have reacted to by slowing down yourself. But yes, it's easy to pick apart these situations after the fact when you can watch it over and over again.

Its a video. That you can watch over and over again to analyze. I didn't have that option.

In real life, its sunny. You cant see brake lights all that well in direct sunlight. And in real life, you don't expect someone to stop in the middle of a road that you have traveled hundreds of times before. As to stopping, in the real world there is reaction time. The gov states that average reaction time to hit the brakes is 2.3 seconds or so. My reaction time is actually pretty good once you realize that. My brain had to see a problem, plan what to do, and act. And the gov says that takes almost 3 seconds to do.

Always avoid hitting something large enough to do major damage to your vehicle, or worse yet, cause personal injury/death.
Always hit something that is small enough to do minimal/lessor damage, if the condition above is unobtainable.

Let's face it; some folks shouldn't be allowed to drive. But the standards of this "privilege" are pretty darn minimal here in the states.

This is about choosing the lessor of some menu of evils. Few would want to hurt the animals, but it's preferable to the major catastrophe that was nearly induced.

Who would want to ever drive into a large metal light pole at 45mph? I would, rather than hit an on coming car swerving into my lane, (closing speed doubles and a car outweighs a light pole). It's about choices, and minimizing the impact (physical and fiscal).

But, some people (many, perhaps) cannot reason well, and react in split-second scenarios with lethargic ineptness.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
I'm just glad it wasn't another one of those dumb Canadians. We would never hear the end of it.

It's the Quebecois!
On their way to Cancun...

But you ain't seen nothin' until you saw a NY minivan mom....

Last edited:
He's probably lucky he wasn't killed. There was a local case around here where some woman stopped on the highway when a mattress fell off a truck. She got rear ended and was killed. I don't think they ever found the truck. From the accident, it looks like the guy behind her didn't even stop, probably texting or not paying attention, her back bumper was in the back seat.

I could see those birds causing some decent damage.

In the eye of the law, you need to be in control of your vehicle.

The beemer in the slow lane should have braked as well. The bird-stopper might have been stopping for a child or something important.

Counting the dotted lines while you tailgated the beemer in the right lane I noticed less than 2 seconds following distance.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
In the eye of the law, you need to be in control of your vehicle.

Seems that is a tough thing for most people on the road to do these days.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Looks like you had plenty of time to stop and chose to go around instead of fully stopping. Going around him in the turning lane was a bit aggressive (though I would have done the same thing). Did you know he was stopping for birds before you went around him or did you decide to continue around him after seeing that it was only birds?

My three year old was in the back seat, there were cars coming up behind me (rapidly), tires screeching, and I swerved left so as to not get rear ended. I'm actually surprised that moron man didn't get rear ended himself. You see the birds on the video, before I saw them. I didn't see them until I was in the left lane, as my attention had been diverted to the rear view/side mirrors to see how much space I had before I got rear ended.

That's what I get for watching the video and only quickly looking at your OP (I hate when people do what I just did!) Thanks for not giving me a thrashing.

Looks like you did a great job averting danger - very well done!

How do you like your cam? I had an Aukney cam that stopped working within a week or so. I haven't been able to find any well-reviewed cams, even moderately-priced ones. The cheap ones seem to be very hit or miss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back