Dang Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
bouncing around $3.60 this morning. If you guys are using a smart phone, there is an APP called gas buddy. It will show you cheapest prices by your location

The Chevron refinery in Northern California had a fire the other day and gas prices in the LA area have jumped 20 cents per gallon in the past 2 days to $4.00 or more from around $3.80. A few weeks ago, gas was down below $3.60 per gallon.

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
The Chevron refinery in Northern California had a fire the other day and gas prices in the LA area have jumped 20 cents per gallon in the past 2 days to $4.00 or more from around $3.80. A few weeks ago, gas was down below $3.60 per gallon.

There appears to be a knock-on effect all the way east to at least Ohio.
Gas prices have risen sharply, with regular now at 3.69 to 3.84.
I was happy to find fuel at 3.78 last Wednesday, since I was doing a 200 mile commute the following day, and was uncertain what prices would be to the north on Thursday.
They were actually about the same.
We used Kroger fuel points to fill two cars for 3.34 this morning.
Fifty cents off a gallon from a station 2.5 miles from our house was certainly nice.
The Forester took 15.8 gallons, while the '99 Accord took 11.5

Here in KC prices have gone from $3.29 to $3.59 in the last month. Half of that has been this week.

Here in Northern New Jersey looking at 3.599 for regular this weekend (Shell a cents more naturally) after being in the mid 3.40s last week. When will Romney/Ryan and Obama/Biden address the need for for a REAL energy plan for this country?
One refinery in CA goes down, prices shoot up and nobody can pick up the slack? Huh? We need to upgrade/build more refineries at least for immediate future of our economy/country. Please stop the tax returns/birth certificate nonsense ant talk real issues that affect all of us in this country!!!!!!!!!

This will probably not help either....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19206199

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
Here in Northern New Jersey looking at 3.599 for regular this weekend (Shell a cents more naturally) after being in the mid 3.40s last week. When will Romney/Ryan and Obama/Biden address the need for for a REAL energy plan for this country?
One refinery in CA goes down, prices shoot up and nobody can pick up the slack? Huh? We need to upgrade/build more refineries at least for immediate future of our economy/country. Please stop the tax returns/birth certificate nonsense ant talk real issues that affect all of us in this country!!!!!!!!!

Oil refinery business does not make money, who is going to spend billions to build a refinery plant that earn less than 5% a year ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Redpatches

Oil refinery business does not make money, who is going to spend billions to build a refinery plant that earn less than 5% a year ?

And IIRC, all of the refineries are from the 70s early 80s. Upgrading probably is not practical due to the howls when gas prices shoot up. (I suppose they would have to shut one down while modernizing it?)

Building new ones? Not with NIMBY in play.

Last edited:
Gas at my local Shell station went from 3.80.9 last Tuesday to 4.05.9 yesterday and I doubt that the increase in the prices will stop as Labor Day is coming and so is winter and the need for heating oil.

The gas prices should go down between the holiday and end of the year. Unless Bernanke accelerates printing money for some reason.

One more comment re: BITOG. You can't ridicule hybrid cars in one thread and then complain about gas prices in another. That is very illogical.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
The gas prices should go down between the holiday and end of the year. Unless Bernanke accelerates printing money for some reason.

Never mind, QE3 started, sky is the limit. I suspect gas will fluctuate somewhere $4-5 before economy caves in again.

$4.19.9 today - Chevron
The Chevron down further is usually about a nickle cheaper, but it would make less than a buck difference if I had gone there.

We have an independent station here that sells ethanol free gas here. The station usually has the lowest prices in town,but the station is 10 cents higher than everyone else. I suspect the other stations to match the $3.85 he was charging for regular pretty quick. Gas was 50 cents a gallon cheaper in the next town over. The station is usually packed,but it was deserted on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back