Cutaway compare Motorcraft vs the World (almost)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I like Motorcraft filters very much, but why they won't upgrade FL-1A to a silicone ADBV baffles me.

That would be my dream filter as well, but as they pointed out it's only spec'd for older applications, it's just not gonna happen.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

I think the 4.0L was the last engine to use the FL-1A. Rangers used it up until 2000 and Explorers until 2001.

It was used on the 5.0L until 2001 too.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I like Motorcraft filters very much, but why they won't upgrade FL-1A to a silicone ADBV baffles me.

That would be my dream filter as well, but as they pointed out it's only spec'd for older applications, it's just not gonna happen.
frown.gif

Just get a pure1. They have silicone valves, right?

If you want an FL1A-sized filter with a threaded end bypass and a silicone adbv, there's always the Wix 51515.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

frown.gif

Just get a pure1. They have silicone valves, right?

They do, but for me anyway I get start up death rattle once in a while with PureOnes.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
If you want an FL1A-sized filter with a threaded end bypass and a silicone adbv, there's always the Wix 51515.

That's what I thought till I tried one, for my application anyway the FL-1A is superior, but it could be a great option for some one else.

Been posted here before at least once before. Not doubt a well made filter, especially helps that now there is a known respectable efficiency rating thanks to Amsoil.

While most have thread end bypass and silicone adbv, not true of all applications. Some have nitrile adbv and some others have nitrile adbv and dome end bypass. In the latter case, little or nothing gained over a Purolator Classic, if the Classic can be purchased for less.

K&N looks strange, 55 pleats must be bunched up on the opposite side, really bad.
I would think standard end cap removal sockets would slip on the small MC flutes.
Media size and filtering much more important than the valve designs.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Because they haven't made an engine that uses the FL1A in like 700 years?

700 years later, Ford still makes aftermarket parts (stock and performance) for the engines that use the FL-1A, so I think there's some relevance to it since Ford is still cashing in on it.

Only the popular filters have been upgraded. While legacy engines run on FL-1A, there are not many new engines that take the filter, meaning a shrinking market demand.

The was a similar PDF on the FL500s vs the world. I've searched like mad but haven't been able to find it. I was starting to think I was dreaming until this thread came up. Anyone have a link?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Does anyone have an idea of the max OC interval a MC filter can go? Can it make 10,000 miles?
In a clean engine, probably, especially if you're using an oversize filter for your application (IMHO)-like an FL400S in place of a tiny Toyota filter (like the Puro L14476).

The new Mustangs recommend a 10,000-mile OCI, and that's on the smaller FL500S, I believe. There's no reason any MC filter with a silicone ADBV can't go that mileage on an engine in sound mechanical condition.

if you look at the K&N comparison, it says 55 pleats, but the picture show like 37 (same as fram). I believe the k&n doesn't have that many filter pleats, as it's not designed as a long term filter.

In my case, I don't care about the ADBV, my filtes face upwards so the can is always full of oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back