Cut-open TecSelect T4612

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Originally Posted By: labman
Funny how an ST 6607 was recently beaten up for uneven pleats.

I was thinking the same thing. Since it's made by Purolator, uneven pleats is ok.

Exactly

Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Found the thread and the Mighty Branded filters are Champ. The Puro made TecSelect must be a separate filter line they carry.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...471#Post1555471

Maybe 7 months ago. I think that filter is clearly a Purolator. No identifying letter stamped on the base plate and the characteristic Purolator bypass. There are still non Ecore Champs around, but that wasn't one of them.
Thanks for the tip, that's already been determined. If you read my post(s) you just repeated what I and others posted.

And more than likely the Mighty Plus is still the same, as the TecSelect clearly isn't a Mighty Plus filter made By Champ. Being supplied through Mighty Parts is not neccesarily the same obviously, as made for their Mighty branded part.

Until you prove that the Champ made Mighty Plus/Mighty Branded is still is not also made/sold and used by Mighty don't post it as fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The bigger question is "why is a dealer using a non-OEM filter?". If I'm going to pay dealer prices, I expect factory parts, not some rebadged, potentially inferior, "value-line" product.

Disclaimer...I'm not referring specifically to the filter in question, but I still think they should have used a Kia filter.

I was thinking the same thing last year when I changed the oil in my aunt's '08 Tucson. (She comes up from Florida for 2-3 months in the summer) It had a PowerFlo filter on it, but my aunt says it has never been anywhere other than the dealer.

I wonder if it is some quick lube program between Hyundai/Kia, and Purolator, or just the dealer trying to keep their costs down ?

When I worked for a Toyota dealer here in NH, our quick lube bay always used Toyota filters.

Don't know what the Kia dealerships generally do or don't do. I do know there is nothing special about the Nissan filter for my Altima, nor would I pay more more or go out of my way for it. Busa too has cut them open and they are nothing special. I've used Advance Total Grips, Puro Prem. Plus/Classics with no issues for less cost. That said, it does appear they could have used the recommended longer L14610 app.

Perhaps the Kia dealer should use OEM filters, especially if that's what the customer thinks they are getting. That said, IMO that TecSelect looks better made than the Honeywell/Honda A-02 (Tough Guard clone) I've cut open and the Honeywell/Subaru filter posted here. Unless the OEM term means something special, as it seems to for some, there's nothing special about them. I know I wouldn't pay more for either.

Lastly, not knowing what the KIA dealer charged, but how much worse could it have been then the $50 buck rip off by Goodyear. The stealership it's sort of expected, but Goodyear?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Sure it was actually the dealer?

Yep. That is where she said she had taken it last and the window had a Kia oil change sticker from 3400 miles ago.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Lastly, not knowing what the KIA dealer charged, but how much worse could it have been then the $50 buck rip off by Goodyear. The stealership it's sort of expected, but Goodyear?
whistle.gif

Having friends that own and work at both independant shops and dealership service departments I can tell you that there are just as many independant shops that will "take you" as dealerships. It really all depends how the managers wish to run the place.

When I did my aunt's oil change on her Tuscon, it had a Hyundai lube sticker on it, and the date, and mileage lined up with the interval.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
I wonder if it is some quick lube program between Hyundai/Kia, and Purolator, or just the dealer trying to keep their costs down ?

When I worked for a Toyota dealer here in NH, our quick lube bay always used Toyota filters.

My local Nissan dealer has a "Quik Lube" facility that services all makes and models.

They used to be a Valvoline-supplied service center, but they recently switched to Formula Shell lubricants. So, on their shelf they have a ton of Valvoline oil filters but they still use Genuine Nissan filters for the Nissan/Infiniti vehicles that come in for a service.

Hey I stumbled across this Topic and just wanted to set the record straight. Mighty was for a long time supplied by champ, as of August of 2009, the supplier switched to Purolator. I know because I Work for Mighty. We have two lines and they are both made by Purolator.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The bigger question is "why is a dealer using a non-OEM filter?". If I'm going to pay dealer prices, I expect factory parts, not some rebadged, potentially inferior, "value-line" product.

Disclaimer...I'm not referring specifically to the filter in question, but I still think they should have used a Kia filter.

The Honda/Toyota/Kia/Hyundai/Scion Dealer down the road from me charges $9.99 for all oil changes. I know they re not using OEM filters. Some dealers chrage $30 for an oil change, chances are OEM is what you are getting.

I agree.
That filter appears to be the same as PowerFlo/ProMotive from behind the counter at AAP.
These are the shorter can versions with fewer pleats and coarser looking media than the regular Purolators.

i opened up a federated, i used a coping saw i recently bought (the guy at meijer suggested it'd work to cut open a hastings filter) and it had only 30 something pleats, similar to a fram, but it did have a legit antidrawback valve, it seems slightly better than a fram orange but in the same league, and when i opened it up for a 2700 OCI, some of the pleats weren't straight and were bent, whereas i opened up the mighty filter on the taurus the quick lube used and it was a 6k oci on conventional (yes, went over) and none of the pleats were bent/collapsed and it had like 60 something, way more media, and the adbv was also black or rubber rather than the red/silicone that the motorcraft uses, which is what i put on the taurus

so it seems you get what you pay for, the quick lube place servicing the taurus cost 35 dollars and the filter was a mighty, which i heard was similar to s purolator and it held up well, despite going over the normal OCI!

whereas, for a short OCI, the federated OCI didn't hold up as well, it did its job, and it wasn't entirely collapsed, but you started seeing some of the pleats collapsing/not working and it had less media, but it had a coil spring, and no carboard end caps, so its "better" than a fram, albeit not by much

You sure do like reviving old threads...

Anyhow, the most interesting part of this is that the filter above has torn pleats (you can barely make it out)... no one caught on to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back