(Cut Open) Denso FTF 150-1007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 91' Nissan Pathfinder with 245000 Miles. Filter was ran for 7K miles (2) 3500 OCI with PYB.

Lots of carbon grit. Has that engine always shown that much crud in the filter?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Lots of carbon grit. Has that engine always shown that much crud in the filter?

yes, more so when I switch to PYB at 200k miles. The valve train doesn't look pretty, lots of carbon like deposit.

The filter itself looks really, really good. What's in it looks a bit rough. Like others have done said that's a lot of debris in there.

Originally Posted By: stang5
Car: 91' Nissan Pathfinder with 245,000 Miles. Filter was ran for 7K miles (2) 3500 OCI with PYB.

Looks like the oil is doing some decent cleaning action, and the filter is catching it well!

Are these engines "prone to getting dirty", or is this normal?

I have never, ever seen a filter "pile up" all the crud at one end like that.
Usually - it fills the valleys in the pleats fairly evenly.

This is a pretty significant amount.

These are no longer made, went to China for manufacturing. I believe this filter sits base down with no filter bypass. It did a good job and the crud is where it would be expected. if this had a filter bypass it could be a lot of that dirt would have been sent to the engine bearings.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Looks like it did what it is supposed to. Makes you not want to change it using a Purolator.
What is the vehicle history?
What went back on/in it?

Same oil and filter went back in with a can of Lubro Moly MOS2. I bought this Truck back in 2000 with 99k miles. The first 30K miles I ran synthetic at 7K miles OCI and thereafter Dino oil at 4k Miles OCI. I also tried ARX, MMO and HDEO oil several times.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
These are no longer made, went to China for manufacturing. I believe this filter sits base down with no filter bypass. It did a good job and the crud is where it would be expected. if this had a filter bypass it could be a lot of that dirt would have been sent to the engine bearings.

If this filter had a bypass valve and it goes to bypass mode, all this junk gets flushed back to the engine and gets recaptured by the filter?

Originally Posted By: stang5
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

If this filter had a bypass valve and it goes to bypass mode, all this junk gets flushed back to the engine and gets recaptured by the filter?

Yes, but it goes though the engine's oiling system first before making it back to the oil filter.

If the engine has a built in filter bypass valve (like most GM V8s), then the crud in the filter wouldn't get swept through the bypass valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back