Cut open a used Amsoil SDF-42

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally had a few moments of “free” time to cut open a used Amsoil SDF-42 oil filter (from my wife’s 850 Volvo) and inspect it, plus measure the shell thickness.

First let me talk about the thickness of the shell. As I suspected – it depends on where you measure, but on average the sheet metal is about 0.020” thick. (The lowest was about 0.0185”). But after cutting through the thing, anyone worried about any 0.015” wall or greater, filter can exploding under even the worst oil overpressure run away, should well, relax a bit. Amsoil does not give one straight burst PSI to cover their filters, but the tech folks say minimum burst is 2x OEM rating on some up to 4x OEM on others. What is OEM burst strength (PSI), any way? Again as noted earlier I’d worry more about seams failing than the can bursting! (Read about at least one type with a thick can failing because the seam didn’t hold: Filter Study ) But both failure modes seem unlikely if the bypass is working.

The main worry with can thickness is FOD penetration. I sometimes worry when I run dual Motorcraft FL-1A’s on the 245Ti, because they are a bit exposed. They feel thinner (the minimopar study had them at 0.011” thick) so I feel better with the SDF-42/15 or the Mann….but a sharp object at xx or xxx mph….

Also the design does encompass a wound spring (vs. sheet metal spring) for by-pass. This seems more uniform – but maybe doesn’t matter much. If the filter does ever clog, the entire filter element will be pushed back indeed, (as most (?)) built in by-pass filters do. I don’t necessarily think ALL the filtered crap will go back into the oil stream, but still best to avoid clogging a filte...

Now for the meat of the thing: the filter element. Oops, too oily to inspect. Looks like it did it’s job. The media looks somehow thicker than other used filters I’ve cut into – but it’s difficult to say. The filter did seem to have less pleats than the equivalent Mann (Volvo OEM) - this doesn’t mean either has more surface area – maybe someday I’ll destroy some new filters!

I really, really wish I had a lathe to cut these things open.

The Amsoil SMF 103 is the motorcycle filter that I reported which had a shell thickness of .010".

I have a Honda and a Suzuki where the filter sits directly behind the front wheel.

Here's a pic of the Honda, the Suzuki isn't much different. You can see why shell thickness might be a concern.

-

Bro - I'm with you - I would look for the thickest casing you can find!! (assuming that the filter inside is good
grin.gif
)

One of these days - I'll snap a pict of my dual mount...with real long filters they become exposed - I use nothing longer than a FL-1A.

Pablo,
I had concerns about Amsoil filters which Amsoil tech support refused to answer (I wish I'd saved those emails!).

For example, for my '96 850, the Amsoil SDF42 filter has an 8 psid bypass valve. The Baldwin electronic catalog lists their B1434 with a 20 psid bypass. I know that Baldwin makes the filters for Amsoil and also supplies them with their reference catalog. I asked Baldwin tech support which filter to use--the SDF42 or the B1434. They said to use the B1434 with the 20 psid bypass. Then I asked Amsoil why their filter recommendation was the SDF42, not the Hastings LF490 (identical to the B1434) according to Baldwin's recommendation. Amsoil's first response was to ask my why I got Baldwin involved. My answer was, "Because I wanted to." Amsoil's second response was that they stand by their recommendation, and they did not provide an explaination as I requested. Their third response to me said that it was an automated response and that more would follow. I figured that this was a phony, because it was from the head tech guy. There was no more response.

So, for my Volvo, I'll use the Hastings LF490 or the Mann, not the SDF42. Same thing for my Toyota V8--the Amsoil filter has the wrong bypass valve setting, Amsoil will not tell me why their filter is correct, and I'll stick with the correct Hasting LF494 or the Toyota 90915-20004.

Does the bypass valve setting matter? I don't know. I asked Amsoil and they refused to answer.

Ken

I can never account for Amsoil tech service answers - I think it depends on who you talk to. One guy seems like a real a-h*le.

I guess a couple things, Amsoil only has a certain number of configurations for the SDF filters. I've been using the SDF-42 on the 850 for 3+ years now and no issues.

Are you sure the by-pass is only 8 psi in the SDF-42? I mean, that spring seemed really hard to depress....

Let me think - if it's lower it'll open "sooner", hmm...I'll call tech service myself.

quote:

For example, for my '96 850, the Amsoil SDF42 filter has an 8 psid bypass valve. The Baldwin electronic catalog lists their B1434 with a 20 psid bypass. I know that Baldwin makes the filters for Amsoil and also supplies them with their reference catalog. I asked Baldwin tech support which filter to use--the SDF42 or the B1434. They said to use the B1434 with the 20 psid bypass....not the Hastings LF490 (identical to the B1434)

Here's what I found out so far:

1) Amsoil does list the SDF-42 as 10-12 psi by-pass. I can not vouch for the accuracy of that.

2) A Baldwin B1434 is an Amsoil SDF-42

3) I don't actually think a Hastings LF490 is identical to a Balwin B1434. (which would make it the same as a SDF-42, in theory
smile.gif
) Have you opened one? If so, good savings!!

4) I think we need to find out - (the REAL question
dunno.gif
) What is the relief valve PSI on the Volvo oil filter OEM Mann???? Let's see if we can find this out!

5) I have my thoughts that a lower opening PSI (but not TOO low) is a "better than" condition....but no science behind those thoughts.

Thanks a ton!
cheers.gif

KEN - just to add to the fun:

I found out a Mann W 917 has relief pressure of 16 PSI!!

So now I start to wonder about the wisdom of using anything but a Mann!

One aftermarket filter at 20 psi pressure relief, the other a 12 psi - OEM is 16 PSI which one is better???

OK - In theory, the "valve" ONLY will open when the filter media will not allow oil to pass for whatver reason. Clogged, cold, etc. How often does this happen? I don't know...but not too much if you are using the right oil visc. for ambient and your oil is not too nasty.

I'm thinking a lower psi one is "safer" in several aspects, keeping lube flowing etc - but does it open "prematurely"?
The higher one, does it stress things (pumps o-rings, etc) when the filter goes into "clog" mode?

What say you others???
patriot.gif

Ken,

If you run a low viscosity synthetic I believe the bypass valve opening pressure is really a non issue...

Vw has always used 20-25 psid valve opening pressures on their oil filters, since they were recommending 15w-40/15w-50 and 20w-50 oils for temps as low as 5F. If you were to run a 0w-30/5w-30 synthetic in this motor there would be much less pressure drop across the filter under all conditions. I have been running the 8 psid Amsoil filters in VW/Audi gas engines for twenty years and the oil analysis results are excellent. I did notice that Amsoil switched from recommending the SDF-15 filter for VW diesel engines and now recommends the Hastings LF-517 filter, which matches the OEM in terms of the bypass valve. But they still recommend the SDF-34 and SDF-42 - with 8 psid valves - for the newer 4/6 cylinder VW/Audi gas engines. So this may have been a concern that had to do with soot loading within the filter ....

As a general practice I think it's a good idea to match the OEM filter in terms of bypass valve opening pressure, but if you use an oversized filter element and/or low viscosity synlube I wouldn't lose any sleep over this ....I have a couple of local Volvo customers who run the SDF-42 in the 240 and 740 models, but have not done any analysis on those engines. I'd consider it to be similiar to the VW/Audi situation ...

The oversized SDF-96 or SDF-15 Amsoil filters might fit on this Volvo engine - just a thought.

Ted

I wanted to add there are some applications where Amsoil has matched the OEM filter in terms of by-pass valve opening pressure. The SDF-13/20/10/44 filters all have high opening pressures.

So I do think they take this into consideration to some degree ....

[ November 25, 2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back