Current thoughts on GM OLM?

I’ve rarely followed the OLM. Thought about it this OCI with a test run of HPL, but then again I have a GM turbo direct injection. About 4 months and 2k miles on my current fill of HPL and at 72 percent oil life. Means this would be a long run mileage wise, and the bitog in me says no lol

What’s the current thought on gm olm? Follow it. Ignore it? Regardless I’ll probably move back to my original plan of 5k/6 months on mobil1.

It can probably vary from one type of car to another but in the three Corvettes that I have had that have OLMs I have found them to work very well. In all three of them I've gotten UOAs done after the OLM counted down to zero, and the oil was nowhere near done yet. My current Corvette even has it's OLM programmed to automatically hit zero after 12 months regardless of mileage. The previous two didn't have that feature. For Corvette owners I think that was a vital change because there are a lot of Vette owners who only drive 1000 miles a year or less so if they waited for the OLM to hit zero they might not get an oil change done for 7 or 8 years.

I have a 2.0 LTG in my Malibu. I think the 2.0 in your Acadia is the successor to that. The LSY. I am 110,000 on mine now. No issues.
I change the oil in that thing every 4000 to 4500 miles. Cheap insurance with the direct injection and small engine. I have run Mobil 1 the entire time.

On our 2011, I use it. Because our cars are almost 100% city driving, it seems to be 0% at 3700-4500 miles. There was a stretch where it was used on the highway and it led us to 7,100. I believe there is something to the algorithm so I do my changes when it is 0% and sometimes 10% if I know I can’t get to it…my .02 ymmv

I have always used it on GM vehicles. I am being conservative with the Kia, first change was at 3k miles, and from now on it will be 5k miles. OLM seems like it would take me out to 7-8k miles.

I have always gone by the GMOLM in my vehicles that had them. It this point, that was quite a few years ago. I've had UOA's done on these trucks and each time, there was plenty of life left in the oil.
As I've said before, the GMOLM is designed to reduce your cost of ownership and to protect the environment, WITHOUT sacrificing engine longevity. If these are things you don't care about, you can change your oil every week if you wish.

I also agree with patman's comment, up to the point about the Corvette owners. I doubt anyone with a Vette would go 7 - 8 years before getting an oil change, but hey, people do strange things. I'm sure an oil change on a new dry sump Corvette would set you back several hundred dollars.

I have always used it on GM vehicles. I am being conservative with the Kia, first change was at 3k miles, and from now on it will be 5k miles. OLM seems like it would take me out to 7-8k miles.
And what’s wrong with that? That is where my Corvette’s OLM takes me and it’s direct injected. UOAs showed the oil to be in great shape and little to no fuel. With the right oil 7-8k is a walk in the park.

And what’s wrong with that? That is where my Corvette’s OLM takes me and it’s direct injected. UOAs showed the oil to be in great shape and little to no fuel. With the right oil 7-8k is a walk in the park.

It is a DI turbo 1.6L engine from a company that has a history of fuel dilution and engine failures...thought I would play it a little safer.
Like I said, if it were a GM, I would follow the OLM. I follow it in my Vette and my Colorado (although both get a diet of 5w-40 or 0w-40).

I also agree with patman's comment, up to the point about the Corvette owners. I doubt anyone with a Vette would go 7 - 8 years before getting an oil change, but hey, people do strange things. I'm sure an oil change on a new dry sump Corvette would set you back several hundred dollars.

It absolutely does! Which is why I don’t understand why a lot of Corvette owners still ignore the OLM and do their oil changes every 3k. And it also is crazy that a lot of them won’t do their own changes. Instead of spending $200-300 at the dealer they could be doing it themselves for $60-70.

In all three of them I've gotten UOAs done after the OLM counted down to zero, and the oil was nowhere near done yet.
There are many, many people just shaking their head at this as they're in full-blown denial ! Or, they'll just pretend they didn't see your post. 🤣

My old ‘12 GM 3.6 would get changed at around 5-6K miles (20-25% OLM) with VL blend and it worked great. Sold it with +200K miles.

Current ‘24 GM 1.5T gets changes with FS based on the OLM which translates to around 7.5K miles usually. It’s a lease though so it will only get what is needed to maintain the program. No reason to spend more on a rental.

It's because folks are finding out over time that may oil test fine via UOA, but they are still getting rapid timing chain wear or other oil-related issues. The UOA's are not always providing a complete picture of oil condition, mainly because the particles being captured are of a certain size range. This has been especially problematic with GDI engines due to the soot levels in the oil.

^^So you'd be OK with more frequent oil changes? I am.

Just yesterday I spoke with a VW salesman who mentioned the pre-paid maintenance you get with a new car purchase.
"10, 20 and 30,000 mile changes..." When I mentioned slipping in changes at the "Fives", his chattiness subsided.

Congrats Comrades - dozen and a half posts on GM without orange level advisory - 😷 Seriously - as a long term GM owner - their OLM works well IMO - and if you prefer 5K - that’s good too …
Since they don’t do much port injection - study up on your plans and test - even with “upscale” lubes …

I do 5000 miles in everything else. Everything I own is GM with an OLM. I do not follow that thing. A standard oil analysis is 35 to 40 dollars plus shipping. So you do one a year. I do two oil changes a year on everything. It is about a wash.
Malibu oil change is about 45 bucks. Just change your oil, that is unless you have a certain problem you are looking for. Seems simple to me, then you know that oil and filter are good.
Oil change in the Buick is less than 40 dollars. Truck and Caprice is close to 70 dollars. The Trans Am is about the same as the Malibu.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
went by my 2002 silverado's OLM from 60k to 233K with zero issues. im going to shoot for 8k on HPL PCEO 5w-40.

Back