CRAFTSMAN, still honor lifetime warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say a bench vice counts as a "hand tool". Just straight metal construction. That's a long time for a vice to last.

Man, what junk worksmanship. It only lasted through 42 years of abuse.

wink.gif

I think you got your money's worth out of it, but it sounds like you've been using it to pinch pennies this whole time. Maybe you should buy another one instead.

I picked up a couple of ancient Craftsman screwdrivers with broken tips at a flea market. Took them to Sears and they were replaced with new ones, no questions asked.

I have to ask though....how do you go about breaking a vise? Almost like breaking an anvil, eh?

I have a Craftsman vice my dad gave me 45 years ago. He must have bought it ~ 1940. I have beat the heck out of it and it is still good, if a little skinned up. How do you break a vise? I have heard that some people can break an anvil though.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I'm not sure they sell a vice worth having anymore, it certainly wont be as good as what you had.

I haven't looked at the vises lately, but they probably are Chinese and similar to the ones at Horrible Freight.

Yes what they said, Craftsman vises are a joke these days,pure [censored]. You are better off finding an old Reed, wilton (USA), columbian etc. vise off of craigslist and cleaning it up.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
How do you break a vise?

By doing something stupid like hammering on a machinist vise, putting a pipe on the handle or dropping it. I assume the OP's stupidity falls into one of these categories.

No, I have 2 4" Reed machinist vises from the early 1900's and use them as needed. I don't abuse them though (both were abused before I bought them). I try to use the proper tools for the job. Again if you are able to break a vise either you have bought a cheap vise or you are using it as you shouldn't be.

Anyhow yours seems seems to be the mentality these days though, abuse a tool, who cares if it breaks it has a warranty. Again if you need to hammer on your machinist vise or use a cheater bar until it brakes maybe you should get a bigger vise or an anvil or a proper press.

Quote:
Again if you are able to break a vise either you have bought a cheap vise or you are using it as you shouldn't be.

Anyhow yours seems seems to be the mentality these days though, abuse a tool, who cares if it breaks it has a warranty. Again if you need to hammer on your machinist vise or use a cheater bar until it brakes maybe you should get a bigger vise or an anvil or a proper press.

Craftsman only sells "cheap" Chinese made vises of lower quality, not the US made stuff they did 20+ years ago.
I take very good care of my tools but they get used as needed.
I broke a newer Craftsman vice (upper end of their scale) when I overtightened the swivel lock by hand because it couldn't hold the vice stiff enough to not wiggle on it's base. It was not abuse and I didn't take it back for warranty because I didn't want replacement junk.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I'd say a bench vice counts as a "hand tool". Just straight metal construction. That's a long time for a vice to last.

They will replace it, but do not think your going to get the same quality.

Also, the Beam type old-school torque wrench is US made and lifetime warranty.

My grandfather used to use their screwdrivers as "hot wire testers." They took them back by the bucket full but finally gave him a warning, explaining that if there wasn't a tip on them they couldn't keep doing it as it was not under "normal use."

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I broke a newer Craftsman vice (upper end of their scale) when I overtightened the swivel lock by hand because it couldn't hold the vice stiff enough to not wiggle on it's base. It was not abuse and I didn't take it back for warranty because I didn't want replacement junk.
I broke 2 of 1970's vintage. The screw used was soft garbage. I bought 2 grade 8, ground them down to work as intended, and had no more trouble.

hope they still honor the lifetime warranty, I have a 500 piece tool set from them circa 1998.

Vises are excluded from the lifetime warranty,i have no idea if this is applicable to the units made 25 yrs ago.
It seems to me anyway that Sears is getting tired of their Lifetime warranty,i see now they are offering rehashed ratchets instead of just giving a new one.If this brand continues lowering its quality any further it wont be long before they are out of the tool business altogether or just selling Chinese pig iron rubbish.

Thankfully i have all my top shelf German tools from the last 35 yrs and my son will probably be using them long after i am gone.
Craftsman up to the 80s were very good tools,its seems they went down hill ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back