Craftsman lawn tractor will not manually roll.

Good afternoon,

I have been gifted a Craftsman lawn tractor from my in-laws and need to get it home to service, etc. Looks like a 2014 year model that hasn't ran in 4-5 years. This model has the hydrostatic transmission.

Craftsman T3000 / Model 917.203900 / Serial # 021714A00317. The tractor will not manually roll. I have pulled the release pin in the back out and locked into position and made sure the parking brake was released. Tires are low; not completely flat. I need this tractor to roll to get it out of their shed and onto my trailer.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jack up the back and put it on a furniture dolly, use a board or something if your dolly isnt wide enough for the back tires. The front tires should roll on their own.

Depending on how the transaxle is designed, the lever you are pulling may not be making proper contact with or actuating the bypass button on the trans case. I've seen grass/debris built up cause issues like this. It's why I recommend blowing the entire machine off with a leaf blower after each use.

If the parking brake was on, the brake pads may have stuck to the rotor. (The brake assembly not at the wheels, it is a small single rotor on the side of the transmission.) Also it's going to be hard to roll without the tires full.

My Toro Zturn requires turning the ignition to the “on” position in addition to pulling the release rods before it will roll. I had to read that in the owner’s manual to find that out. Could be the same for your mower.

So I went and got the lawn tractor today. Was able to get in in freewheel and rolled onto my trailer.

I checked plugs, oil level, etc, I took off the shroud and blew out about ten pounds of mice nest and dirt.

I hooked a jump pack to it and it started up after a few seconds. I drove it around the yard some and it stalled and sputtered some after jumping it back off. I have the batter on charge now.

The deck belt is a tangled mess. I will take the deck off tomorrow and be sure the belt is routed correctly.

It does have the CVT transmission. I have blow it off as much as i can get to as the fuel tank is directly under the seat. Is there a way to really get to the transmission without dropping it out of the tractor?

Thanks

Back