Correlation between oil consumption and viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used either Mobil One 5W-20, PP 5W-20 or Amsoil 0W-20 in my wife's 2006 Pilot since its first oil change. The engine now has about 60K miles and has slowly worked it way up to ~1/2 quart make-up oil during ~5K mile OCI's. Before starting the sermon about wasting money on synthetic oil and extended OCI's, realize that I change the oil in this vehicle according to the Oil Life Meter to keep the warranty intact.

I know that 1/2 quart is not much make-up oil, but it leads me to ask if it would be better to try 5W-30 or 0W-30 to see if consumption drops off? I believe that others have tried 5W-30 or 0W-30 in this engine with virtually no impact on fuel efficiency or wear in UOA's. I live in Houston, Texas by the way. We have hot summers (~100°F Max) and cool winters (~15°F Min). Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hello,

I used 5w20 in my RSX, with 1/2 quart of consumption in 6k miles. I switched to PP 5w30 and noticed virtually no consumption, and its been 8k miles already. Just my personal experience.

Wouldn't hurt to try a 5w30.

Last edited:
Half-a-quart in 5000 miles is nothing and isn't much of a consideration IMO. Does your Pilot have an OLM? If it does, I'd just top it off and go by that (up to 10K)...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Half-a-quart in 5000 miles is nothing and isn't much of a consideration IMO. Does your Pilot have an OLM? If it does, I'd just top it off and go by that (up to 10K)...

Yes, it has an Oil Life Meter. I could reset it and extend the OCI, but wouldn't feel right about doing so while it is still under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Hello,

I used 5w20 in my RSX, with 1/2 quart of consumption in 6k miles. I switched to PP 5w30 and noticed virtually no consumption, and its been 8k miles already. Just my personal experience.

Wouldn't hurt to try a 5w30.

Thanks for your reply. I may give 0W-30 a try.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Lyondellic - I would be very pleased if it was my vehicle and that it is consuming a little lubricant

Small amounts of consumption should be viewed as desirable IMO

Thanks for your reply. Could you explain why you feel that small consumption is a good thing? I have always figured that consumption equates to wear, but am the first to admit that this may be a misconception.

We have the same engine*, same year - in our Honda Odyssey and it doesn't use a drop at around 65,000 miles. Maybe it is your heat. In fact I have been doing 2X OLM changes, and now I'm on 50% of a 3X OLM OCI (~15000 miles) no oil usage at all.

*Does yours have the cylinder deactivation MPG thing?

Man I never knew it ever got that cold in Houston.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
We have the same engine*, same year - in our Honda Odyssey and it doesn't use a drop at around 65,000 miles. Maybe it is your heat. In fact I have been doing 2X OLM changes, and now I'm on 50% of a 3X OLM OCI (~15000 miles) no oil usage at all.

*Does yours have the cylinder deactivation MPG thing?

Man I never knew it ever got that cold in Houston.

Hi Pablo,

Yes, the 2006 Pilot uses cylinder deactivation to improve fuel efficiency. I should also mention that this engine is primarily used for short trip driving, though it does see some highway miles as well. The consumption happens no matter what the time of year is. There has been less consumption with Amsoil 0W-20. Maybe this can be attributed to Amsoil's higher Noack number?

Houston almost always hits 95°F+ in the summer, but lows in the winter usually bottom out at ~30°F. Every few years we have a hard freeze and may see 15°F or 20°F for brief periods of time, though this is rare.

Try a different brand or weight... I have seen engines burn oil with 30wt's that stop with a 20wt,

I have also seen engines burn oil with one brand versus another. Same CST readings for both at 40 & 100.

Engines can be sometimes picky...

How is your PCV BTW this could lead to increased consumption.

Also why are you concerned about following the OLM for "Warranty" but then use Amsoil which is a non licensed API oil? Shouldn't you be more worried about this instead of changing as per the OLM? Just saying...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic

Yes, it has an Oil Life Meter. I could reset it and extend the OCI, but wouldn't feel right about doing so while it is still under warranty.

Honda's warranty is all about the OLM, any good 5W-20 'conventional' will take you to 5000 miles. If you're adding half a quart at 5K, you might as well go another few thousand on a premium synthetic like Amsoil, SOPUS, or Mobil1 IMO...

Two things: First, my experience show that you can reduce oil consumption as my 06 Corolla uses about the same amount of oil IF its filled with Toyota's 5w20 BUT I switch very early to RedLine 5w30 and zero consumption next oci and even at sustained high speed travels (70 mph 2800rpm) there is NO oil consumption. Second, I would assume that less consumption would be ideal, I guess it depends where it is been lost but I would venture most is burned at the top of the cylinder ring travel. Now isnt that also where there is the most cylinder wear as well? Thats a tough job lubricating the top of the cylinder and most oil I feel is adequate but consumption says that oil is being burned because it cant survive the high temperature area, I always attributted RL zero consumption to its high temperature qualities and assume (correct me if I am wrong) that this points to better lubrication of this vital area. Better lubrication at this critical point is probably one reason I prefer high quality synthetics like RL and if they can keep lubricating the rings and cylinders and transfer heat, reduce scuffing, seal conbustion and resist migration (it must be hard to keep oil at the highest point of piston ring travel) well that gotta be worth something, right?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Try a different brand or weight... I have seen engines burn oil with 30wt's that stop with a 20wt,

I have also seen engines burn oil with one brand versus another. Same CST readings for both at 40 & 100.

Also why are you concerned about following the OLM for "Warranty" but then use Amsoil which is a non licensed API oil? Shouldn't you be more worried about this instead of changing as per the OLM? Just saying...
21.gif

Good point about the PCV valve. It is easy to get lulled into a sense of complacency by the 100K mile no tune-up thing. I never gave much thought to the API certification, perhaps because I know that Amsoil far exceeds the specifications that would be required to meet API. It is a funny thing though now that you mention it...LOL.

I find more of a correlation between oil formulation and consumption, given the person making the distinction knows a decent amount about the formulations in question.

For instance, chincy EC 5w30 will burn out at a regular rate in the Camry engine, but Redline 0w10 won't- even all summer. Counterintuitive from the viscosity standpoint, but it makes good sense from the formulation perspective. Since most people don't use Redline or other non-VII, high quality based oils, their experiences can be compared by viscosity instead.

Honda's warranty is all about the OLM, any good 5W-20 'conventional' will take you to 5000 miles. If you're adding half a quart at 5K, you might as well go another few thousand on a premium synthetic like Amsoil, SOPUS, or Mobil1 IMO...

Thanks for your reply. But then I would have to wait even longer before changing the oil (twitches) LOL. I agree with what you have said. Perhaps I will extend the OCI by ~2K miles and then get Blackstone to do a UOA. If the UOA looks good I will decide whether or not to extend the OCI further.

I just wonder if cylinder deactivation has something do it with it...we opted not to get that (I'm paranoid of stuff like that, even though it probably works fine)

And yes lower NOACK may bear out in real life "consumption" rates. I think you meant to type "lower", rather than "higher".

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I just wonder if cylinder deactivation has something do it with it...we opted not to get that (I'm paranoid of stuff like that, even though it probably works fine)

And yes lower NOACK may bear out in real life "consumption" rates. I think you meant to type "lower", rather than "higher".

My bad, yes I meant lower on Noack.

Thanks for your reply. But then I would have to wait even longer before changing the oil (twitches) LOL...

If I can do it, you can it.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

21.gif

Good point about the PCV valve. It is easy to get lulled into a sense of complacency by the 100K mile no tune-up thing. I never gave much thought to the API certification, perhaps because I know that Amsoil far exceeds the specifications that would be required to meet API. It is a funny thing though now that you mention it...LOL.

I disregard the API thing when it comes to oil and use what I think is the best lubricant for the application. Right now I'm using Amsoil because it does an excellent job for my conditions...

If you replace the PCV (I would at your mileage), replace it with one from the dealer. Aftermarket ones can cause problems...

Steve
cheers3.gif

Using a little oil shows the upper cylinder area is getting a good supply of oil.
Some V8 performance engine builders strive for a qt in 2-3,000 miles. they can get the engines to not use as much, but they are concerned about plenty of lubrication. They play with ring tension and types to do this.
So using a 1/2 qt in 5,000 miles is hardly worth considering.
And this is with used oil, which thins and otherwise starts to burn more as it ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back