Corolla will now be built in Mexico...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
They have good jobs being brought to them, yet they are still flooding over the border illegally? Something doesn't add up.

Not everything you watch on fox news is true. In fact, the majority of what you watch on fox news is not true. Shocking I know.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
They have good jobs being brought to them, yet they are still flooding over the border illegally? Something doesn't add up.

Because a Mexican vehicle plant worker makes a tiny fraction of what the same worker makes in the USA. Mexican workers are
slave wagers.

And their cost of living is substantially lower in Mexico. You cannot equate the U.S. cost of living with theirs. When I used to haul freight to and from the border in the 80's and 90's, I would cross over all the time and get a great sit down meal and a beer in a family run restaurant, and as of 1998, only $1.50 for the entire meal. I usually would tip more than the actual meal cost! You couldn't get the beer or the meal separately in the U.S. for a buck fifty. Gas at the pump over there was still under a buck a gallon. And there are only so many of those decent factory jobs to go around. The other folks who have none of those opportunities, or are trying to get away from the violence and drug cartel stuff are crossing the border.

And it isn't about "cheap labor" that causes companies to move south of the border. If they want to sell products in Mexico, they have to make some of them there. And the government here strangles business with so many regulations that it becomes more of a burden every year. And the U.S. has the highest corporate tax rate in the world. But those of us who own business's are already painfully aware of all of this. Even in Communist China the corporate tax rate is only 25%. The U.S corporate tax rate is roughly 39.1%, the highest in the world, which is a factor of the 35% Federal and average state corporate tax rate.

I can promise you that almost NO ONE working at those
vehicle plants can afford anything them make there.

The ONLY reason the mfrs are building plants there is for
DIRT CHEAP SLAVE WAGERS who are very subservient and accept
abuse from their employers without much protest working long hours for little pay.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And their cost of living is substantially lower in Mexico.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Not everything you watch on fox news is true. In fact, the majority of what you watch on fox news is not true. Shocking I know.

If the majority of what is watched on Fox News isn't true, then NOTHING from the other media outlets must be true as they are far worse at spewing garbage than Fox is...

abuse from their employers without much protest working long hours for little pay.

Going to the Ford Mexico site, the Fiesta is $182,200.00 (pesos). The average daily wage for a Mexican worker at a Ford plant down there is $26.40 USD (340 pesos) as of 2010.

So, assuming a 5-day work week, he/she is making $1700 pesos a week, $6,800 pesos a month or $81,000 pesos a year.

On a 7-year term, that Fiesta would be ~28,000 a year or $1,180 pesos bi-weekly. Certainly affordable for somebody making $6,800 pesos a month.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Going to the Ford Mexico site, the Fiesta is $182,200.00 (pesos). The average daily wage for a Mexican worker at a Ford plant down there is $26.40 USD (340 pesos) as of 2010.

So, assuming a 5-day work week, he/she is making $1700 pesos a week, $6,800 pesos a month or $81,000 pesos a year.

On a 7-year term, that Fiesta would be ~28,000 a year or $1,180 pesos bi-weekly. Certainly affordable for somebody making $6,800 pesos a month.

That would be like the average person here buying an S-class MB though... 1/3 of their gross pay just for the purchase price for 7 years? I'm sure after all the other costs are factored, it would be near 2/3 of their net income....

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

That would be like the average person here buying an S-class MB though... 1/3 of their gross pay just for the purchase price for 7 years? I'm sure after all the other costs are factored, it would be near 2/3 of their net income....

True, but the point is that they COULD buy one. The cost/earning alignment isn't what is implied by antiqueshell's post (agenda).

The Ford Ikon is $137,400; roughly $20K a year or $830 bi-weekly.

GM has some models that are even less expensive.

Originally Posted By: grampi

If the majority of what is watched on Fox News isn't true, then NOTHING from the other media outlets must be true as they are far worse at spewing garbage than Fox is...

see there is your problem, you watch news outlets.

Originally Posted By: grampi

see there is your problem, you watch news outlets.

I get my news from a variety of sources...they aren't all bad...just makes me curious why you would point out Fox News, and not say anything about the other media sources which are far worse...

Last edited:
He's pretty good about posting something asinine, but never backing it up. All bark you might say..

I use to wonder if he was being a troll, but I think he actually believes the things he posts.
21.gif

The average daily wage for a Mexican worker at a Ford plant down there is $26.40 USD (340 pesos) as of 2010.

Source?, that has to be a blatant LIE.
crackmeup2.gif
20.gif

Quote:

They can't afford to buy one without sacrificing the rest of their needs. Typical obscuficatory post.

Last edited:

The average daily wage for a Mexican worker at a Ford plant down there is $26.40 USD (340 pesos) as of 2010.

Source?, that has to be a blatant LIE.
crackmeup2.gif
20.gif

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...rs-get-26-a-day

Quote:
GM workers in Mexico earn wages and benefits of 340 pesos a day ($26.40) on average, or less than $4 an hour, said Tereso Medina, head of the union for GM’s 5,000 workers in Saltillo, a city that makes one in four Mexican autos. Ford workers in the U.S. earn about $55 an hour with benefits, compared with $50 an hour for Toyota Motor Corp.’s U.S. workers, Lewis Booth, Ford’s chief financial officer, said on a Jan. 28 conference call.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20120201/BLOG06/120209989/mexico%E2%80%99s-auto-boom-is-about-wages

Quote:
Even after years of Mexico’s cost of living inching up and American wages going down, Mexico’s labor rates are still a fraction of U.S. rates. Mexico’s auto assemblers nowadays pay $4 to $5 an hour. U.S. rates differ all over the map now, from $28 an hour in wages for the Detroit 3, to $14 an hour for new Tier 2 Detroit 3 workers, to hourly wage rates at the transplants that vary from $15 into the high $20s.

That took all of about 30 seconds on Google
smirk.gif

Quote:

They can't afford to buy one without sacrificing the rest of their needs. Typical obscuficatory post.

I see you neglected to note the less expensive options I also cited
smirk.gif

And quite frankly, the above example is pretty in-line with most of the financially less-responsible US and Canadians so my point stands. They can definitely afford it despite your posit that:

Because you can't promise that. It's complete and utter tripe drummed up in a fear mongering escapade that is so typical of basically anything you post that is outside of vehicle maintenance advice.

And Ian's very welcome point begs the question about the massive cost of living difference between the US and Mexico, something another poster touched on.

Let's be fair.
Most of what 'shell posts concerning vehicle maintenance is also utter tripe.
This member is one angry man and only he knows why.

I see I've hit a nerve, with all the incoming "comments" regarding
how only if typical Mexican auto worker sacrifices the rest of his
necessities of living costs can he afford to buy even the
cheapest car. The cost of living is cheaper in Mexico but the cost of that most inexpensive vehicle is still much more than it would be in the USA (taxes) so it doesn't negate the overall calculations. Again very few Mexican auto workers can actually afford to buy a cheap vehicle without sacrificing other necessities of life.

I see I've hit a nerve, with all the incoming "comments" regarding
how only if typical Mexican auto worker sacrifices the rest of his
necessities of living costs can he afford to buy even the
cheapest car. The cost of living is cheaper in Mexico but the cost of that most inexpensive vehicle is still much more than it would be in the USA (taxes) so it doesn't negate the overall calculations. Again very few Mexican auto workers can actually afford to buy a cheap vehicle without sacrificing other necessities of life.

Again, another tripe-filled post. If he's making 7K a month and spending 2K on a car, he's not "sacrificing the necessities of life". He's got 5 grand to cover the rest of his costs, costs which are low because HE LIVES IN MEXICO!!!!!

Your posit is that these people are being paid slave wages and can't afford what they make. The reality is that they are paid well for where they are and they can most certainly afford the lower-tier products they manufacture.

Another example, a house:

Quote:
New housing registrations for the “Economic” segment, with price range up to MXN 223,591 (US$ 17,107), fell to 4% of the total in 2012, from 6% in 2011. The “Popular” segment, with price range up to MXN 378,967 (US$ 28,994) also declined from 60% of the total in 2012, from 64% in 2011.

Also, the income bracket we are dealing with, the personal income tax is 10.88% as per this list:
http://www.capitaltaxconsulting.com/international-tax/mexico/mexican-income-tax/

Which leaves them with an after-tax income of 68,181 (net), or $5,100 a month. Assuming their mortgage is around $1K a month, even if they bought the Fiesta, they'd still have 2K a month to cover the rest of their costs like power, food, gas....etc.

And they'd be living like many of our neighbours and probably better off than many students servicing massive educational debt
wink.gif

And this also of course assumes ONE working person, not a wife and husband both contributing to the income pool. If they both work on the line, these figures double.

You haven't hit a nerve, you've hit the wall.
Have you ever even been to Mexico?

If you guys think Mexican workers have problem with low wage compares to the cost of a new car. If you calculate you will see that the cost of a new car is about 2-2.5 years earning, now if you know average Chinese(and most Asian) earning is about 1/5 to 1/8 of a new car price, you will see that Mexican didn't suffer much in term of wage. If you dare to search for average wage of an African earner you will shock to know that a new can costs about 10 to 15 times their yearly earning.

Yes, Mexican auto worker salary is way less than American counterpart, but they are not as low as may other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back