Cooper ZEON RS3-A Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother's 2010 Altima will be needing tires soon because the fronts are at 5/32 and the rears are at 4/32.

With the current DTD blowout sale, I can get a set of the Coopers ZEON RS3-A in the proper fitment for only $258 shipped! While I would love to get a set of Primacy MXM4 for this car, it is quite difficult to justify the extra $400+ in this case.

Treadlife really isn't a concern for me since the car only sees 6-7k/yr. I will probably be replacing the next set of tires due to age, not wear.

So far, my research has found that the Zeon RS3-A tires have very positive feedback from the online community. Consumer Reports has also given the tire some very positive remarks.

Can any BITOGers share their personal experiences with this tire? I think my parents would be most interested in a quiet ride above anything else.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You have a strange size there. That tire for my size costs about the same as your size. But other, more premium tires I can get right now for not that much more. Your differential for the best tires is huge.

But, taking the warranty as an indicator of actual life, 40k is low by today's 70k standard so are the Coopers really cheaper per mile?

The 14 DTD reviews on the Coopers are high overall but the lowest score is for road noise.

The Altimax RT43 are getting rave reviews and have a 75k warranty. Maybe wait for a deal on those?

Quick math:

Cooper: $258 + $80 install = $338 / 40000 miles = 0.845c per mile

RT43: $364 (DTD EBay) + $80 install = $444 / 75000 miles = 0.592 per mile

Hey Critic, sorry for my 3rd post but I just found you what looks Iike an even better deal. The General RT43s!

They cost 30% less per mile than the Coopers and have great reviews on TireRack (and on BITOG).

Those tires have been OEM on Focuses for a while now. Mine came with Continentals but I had a rental with the Coopers. The Coopers seemed a little sharper handling. Didn't notice any significantly increased road noise.

I've been extremely pleased with the RS3-A; I run the tire year round on my son's X3 2.5 and as the winter tire for my Mazdaspeed 3. In both applications the tires have proven to be extremely competent, durable, and quiet. I actually like them a bit better than the PZero Nero All Seasons that I ran previously on both the truck and the car.
The only tire that I think might be superior to the RS3-A is the Pilot Sport A/S 3.

What size do you need? Is it the 215/60-16 size? What is the OE speed rating?

How about the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum? Another good choice might be the General Altimax HP. Both are better than the Chinese RS3A

one is a nice high performance tire cooper

one is a standard touring tire general

cant really compare them.

I bought a set for my Cruze Eco a couple of weeks ago. They handled well, very good traction in snow, and were relatively quiet. Alas, for me they had a significant impact on MPG- I swapped them for Pirelli P7's and have not looked back... Night and day difference- feel like a world class tire- super quiet and very comfortable ride. I actually like these better than the Primacy MXV4's I had on my previous car.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
The 14 DTD reviews on the Coopers are high overall but the lowest score is for road noise.

The Altimax RT43 are getting rave reviews and have a 75k warranty. Maybe wait for a deal on those?

Quick math:

Cooper: $258 + $80 install = $338 / 40000 miles = 0.845c per mile

RT43: $364 (DTD EBay) + $80 install = $444 / 75000 miles = 0.592 per mile

Interesting, thanks. The RT43 never crossed my radar. I will have to investigate.

Originally Posted By: milehigh
I bought a set for my Cruze Eco a couple of weeks ago. They handled well, very good traction in snow, and were relatively quiet. Alas, for me they had a significant impact on MPG- I swapped them for Pirelli P7's and have not looked back... Night and day difference- feel like a world class tire- super quiet and very comfortable ride. I actually like these better than the Primacy MXV4's I had on my previous car.

Thanks for the info. Fuel economy is also a major factor due to this car's MPG. CR gave the tire good ratings for rolling resistance, but I think the rating was relative to other tires within the tested segment.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'd suggest them, but I don't want to hear how many wheel weights he needed to balance them for the next 6 years... lol

Are there known balance-related issues with Cooper?

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I think RS3-As would be a little overkill on mom's Altima. Are the current tires UHPAS?

The originals are Turanza EL400-02 tires. Probably LRR to an extent. I have about 24k on the car right now.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
What size do you need? Is it the 215/60-16 size? What is the OE speed rating?

How about the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum? Another good choice might be the General Altimax HP. Both are better than the Chinese RS3A

215/55-17 is the size. This is the 3.5SR V6 model. Are we having concerns that are strictly related to the Chinese COO, or are there general concerns over the quality of Cooper as a whole? My only experience with Cooper has been their CS4 tire -- which I found to be a very average tire.

My son put them on his 02 Altima last year. Unfortunately, I have not driven since the switch. Also unfortunately, he views his cars more as appliances, so his feedback is not very nuanced. He would say - "fine."

He lives in KY, which tends to get more ice than snow, and his roommate's 2WD Trailblazer struggles enough with the ice that he begs a ride from my son.

I realize that ice is not a consideration for you.

There are general concerns about Cooper tires already, and the Chinese part just makes it worse, and certainly doesn't help!

Besides the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum I already suggested, her are some other good options:
Dunlop SP Sport Signature
Dunlop Signature II
Falken Ziex ZE950
Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I REALLY like the tread pattern/looks of this tire, BUT, they are ALL made in Sinoland, a deal breaker for me (unless they were less than HALF the cost of my BFG Super Sport all seasons).

As I noted earlier, I run RS3-As on my son's X3 truck and my Mazdaspeed 3 commuter sled. After 22,000 miles on the truck and over 36,000 miles on the Mazda the tires are quiet and still pretty sticky for all season rubber. As to the RS3-A's production site, the tires-on the MS3 at least-are labeled "Made in USA."
That said, I refuse to buy any UAW assembled vehicle, so I understand and respect your decision to boycott Chinese products. With the exception of the RS3-As, my vehicles are usually fitted with tires made by Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, or Pirelli...

According to their HQ 'techs', EVERY tire in their line up (not just the RS3-As, but even their summer only RS3-Ses, and even the made for Rousch versions of those) is now made in China.

IF they were made here (even for A LOT more coin than they are currently), they would be on my car as we speak.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back