conventional valvoline vs castrol gtx

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by simple:
Which would be more preferred? These are the only two choices also. From what I've been reading on this site, it seems like valvoline is not that preffered. However, looking at the product data sheets for both products it seems like the edge goes to valvoline when looking at certain areas.

Wow, That is rather limited criteria. I have run both, although Valvo has a poor rep and GTX seems to get good reports, both are overpriced for what you get. You can't go wrong with either, my prefernce is niether, the valvo seems to thin out real early and the GTX seems to darken in the motor very early(yeah, it's not scientific and is probably meaning the oil is working but you know what Granpa taght us?)
If indeed those are your only two choices buy the cheapest.

There are better choices for less however as was mentioned above.

welcome.gif

Are we talking Valvoline All Cimate vs. Castrol GTX? What specs. do you find better? Also would need to know what car and the recommended viscosity you would run.
grin.gif

I prefer GTX, Pennzoil, Havoline, and Motorcraft first. Valvoline seems to be a basic oil at a premium price.

[ January 02, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
welcome.gif

Are we talking Valvoline All Cimate vs. Castrol GTX? What specs. do you find better? Also would need to know what car and the recommended viscosity you would run.

Yes, valvoline all climate vs gtx. I find the VI index, and the % of ash to better in valvoline than gtx. (at least this is what the sheets say that I'm looking at) I would be using 10W30 in a 1998 chevy silverado with a 5.7L, and a bonneville with a 3.8L.

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:
10w30 dino in January in Wisconsin????

Dave

Your point is??????? My bonneville recommends 10W30 and my silverado's manual says I can run either one as long as it's 0 degrees and above. In my opinion, and talking to many mechanics in my area, 5W30 isn't that drastic of a change between 10W30. I've been running 10W in my vehicles all year for over 7 years with no problems. The average temp here is probably about 30 degrees. I don't see a problem running 10W.

Everyone knows that 5W30 usually will sheer to a 20 weight. I feel better running the 10W.

Can we get back on topic please?

Based on all the UOAs I've read, uh... whichever is cheaper.
Both oils are "just good enough, but not any better".
Based on that, if you pay a premium for either, you're doing someone a favor, not buying anything.
Save the money. Spend it on your woman, your kids, donate it to a worthy cause or save it for retirement.
Honestly, if you're not going to buy one of the higher-rated conventionals like Havoline or Pennzoil, you might as well buy Wal-Mart's store brand conventional and save your money.

quote:

Dave

Off topic, but I agree. Since we are talking conventional oil, I prefer 5W-30 this time of year, even in Tennessee.

Ed Hackett, wrote a lot about sulphated ash, but if you aren't burning oil then what is the problem? There is beginning to be "ashless" additives now, too. Witness lower zddp ,but good performance.

VI can be misleading as you don't know how the obtained it. Shell XHVI that is stable or a cheaper unstable polymer.

I would not evaluate two oils based on this.

Below freezing 32F, I'd run Pennzoil or Castrol 5-30.

I wont' say much about Valvoline,but I would be running the 5W now.

I'm not skating the question, but whatever you choose a 5W-30 would be better imho until +50F.

I would listen to your mechanics - they tear engines apart every day and they know oil. Valvoline even says it's the preferred choice of mechanics.

For the criteria you are considering, both oils meet API specs and will provide adequate lubrication to at least 3,000 miles. Why don't you run each oil and do an oil analysis to see which oil these engines run best on. That's the only way to get a guestimate on which oil might be a little better.

With the brand new SM oils out, we are starting all over again regarding performance. It will be interesting to see if the trends change.

quote:

quote:

Dave

Off topic, but I agree. Since we are talking conventional oil, I prefer 5W-30 this time of year, even in Tennessee.

I appreciate the reply, but I disagree. As I stated, 4 mechanics told me that I should stick with the 10W30.

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:
Valvoline even says it's the preferred choice of mechanics.

Another topic, but I would like to know how they base this on? Oh, for those who don't know, I've been using valvoline for years. I was thinking of switching to gtx, but I don't know.

Most (not all) advertising claims are based on the same principle: marketing research. Tell people what they want to hear to convince them it is better.

Another great example is Bose speakers. Because of research and superb marketing, they are the best speakers available. Just go to audioreview.com to find out....the truth.

quote:

Most (not all) advertising claims are based on the same principle: marketing research. Tell people what they want to hear to convince them it is better.

Another great example is Bose speakers. Because of research and superb marketing, they are the best speakers available. Just go to audioreview.com to find out....the truth.

So, in reality this could be just a bunch of $#&%?

quote:

quote:

Valvoline even says it's the preferred choice of mechanics.

Another topic, but I would like to know how they base this on? Oh, for those who don't know, I've been using valvoline for years. I was thinking of switching to gtx, but I don't know.

The Valvoline thing is marketing. I prefer Technicians to work on my car, not Mechanics.

If you would like to stay in the Valvoline family of poducts, I might suggest DuraBlend 5W-30 for weather to come.

Can at least I get you to go for the Valvoline Durablend 5W-30 for your climate?

Does not the cold pumpability make sense??

I used DuraBlend 5w-30 religiously for close to 100K in a '00 Civic before I laid it to RIP (..in pieces). It was never fed anything else than DuraBlend. That car received a significant amount of beating during that time frame. Still, it burned almost no oil, and produced about just as much power as when it was new. Maybe Valvo is a bit overpriced, but it held up to it's promises as far as I'm concerned.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dave

I appreciate the reply, but I disagree. As I stated, 4 mechanics told me that I should stick with the 10W30.

Well, I guess it depends if you want to trust your mechanics or someone you dont't know on the Internet.

I humbly submit that if you use Pennzoil, Castrol, or Valvoline during the Winter with a normal oci, these guys are just full of bull crap. You will get better cold starts. Valovoline Durablend 5W-30 would work well.

quote:

Everyone knows that 5W30 usually will sheer to a 20 weight. I feel better running the 10W.

Really? Making a general comment like this on an oil forum where there is plenty of proof otherwise is not too smart. You say you have read here, but apparently not much.
You seem to be very close minded when it comes to your oil choices. You have several people here giving you some good advice and suggestions, but don't even want to listen.

You want a simple answer, here you go. Use Valvoline 10W-30 and a Fram filter and change them every 3000 miles and your engine will never have an oil related problem as long as you own it.

[ January 02, 2005, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: blupupher ]

well see I am on a Phillips Trop Artic kick tonite,, check Wallys for their new semi,5w30 at 1.14 per qt, worth also checking the Chevron/Havoline family,,,, BL

Reading through this thread, I generally agreed with the sentiments expressed by Bryanccfshr, haley 10, and TomJones76.

Either oil is "OK" but there are plenty of better choices available ... especially for the money. But between the two, I'd pick Castrol GTX. Valvoline seems to have the skimpiest additive package in the industry. But I'd still take Chevron, Pennzoil or even Motorcraft over either of your two choices.
cool.gif

And yes, of course you should be using the 5W-30 in the winter during Wisconsin.
rolleyes.gif

Mechanics who truly know a lot about motor oil are very rare. Most give out a lot of home-spun propaganda which is a mix of experience, hype they've heard along the way and immeasurable personal branding biases all rolled into a weird soup. I used to work alongside a bunch of mechanics decades ago and some of the 'wisdom' they passed along to me and others was just plain WRONG.
spaz.gif

I believe mechanic's advice on oil type/brand is no better or worse than a typical do-it-yourselfer. We've had entire threads here on BITOG on this subject alone.

It seems to be true that 5W-30 will shear down in some applications in as little as 1,500 miles ... but 10W-30 is shearing down almost as fast, lately.

But as blupupher hinted at, there is plenty of room for error in oils. You will probably be fine no matter what you use.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back