Continental ExtremeContact DWS-35k Ouch my ears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Conti DWS were nice and quiet new and to about 25k miles. They rotated regularly. They appear worn evenly but have simply grown more noisy as time/mileage passes. The wear level is such that the S(now) has nearly worn off all around.

Somewhat frustrating. I did not experience this on our previous Nokian WR G2 and OEM Bridgestone RE92a's both with 45k.

Similar experience with DWS, very quiet the first 5-10k miles then noisier after that. Tread is down to about 5/32" after 17-18k miles, I don't think it will lasted beyond 30k miles.

I had a set on the wifes Toyota...now I am running Nexen N5000 tires instead...less expensive and all of the same qualities as the Conti's which got noisy at 20k for us as well.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I did not experience this on our previous Nokian WR G2

We had Nokian WR on wife's Jetta. They became rather noisy within 20-25K miles, too.

As for DWS, we have them on the C300. When they were brand new, they seemed noticeably noisier than the worn out ContiProContacts that they replaced. I can imagine they'll only get more noisy as they wear.

I think Nexen, specially N5000, is a good low cost Korean tire. The problem is availability, not many big chains carry it. America's tire/Discount tire doesn't have Nexen.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think Nexen, specially N5000, is a good low cost Korean tire. The problem is availability, not many big chains carry it. America's tire/Discount tire doesn't have Nexen.

Try tirebuyer dot com.

Have you checked the alignment?

Most noise problems are caused by alignment issues.

I have them on the 330Ci. (staggered set up) and only have about 5k miles on them....they're great so far in pretty much all aspects, but i know it's way too soon to tell.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
2nd vote for alignment.

Say the alignment is off(not apparent at all in driving) then I align it. The tires are going to remain noisy?

btw my guage of even wear/proper alignment is when driving over dust and it is all over tires evenly, vehicle is aligned. Not sure if valid test though.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
2nd vote for alignment.

Say the alignment is off(not apparent at all in driving) then I align it. The tires are going to remain noisy?

Probably. You could rotate them and hope that in their new position they will develop a different wear pattern. They might not, but it is worth the trouble as the alternative is replacing the tires.

But before you go get an alignment, there are a couple of things you need to be sure of.

1) My experience is that the alignment tolerance (not the target value, the allowabale deviation from the target value) is too wide by half. Put another way, the vehicle has to be within the inner half of the spec.

You should find someone who will get the values there. Shop until you find one.

2) Just because the factory didn't build-in adjustablility doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't adjust the alignment. There are various ways to get adjustablility and there should be no excuse for a vehicle leaving an shop with the alignment "out of Spec" just because the operator is too lazy to figure out how to get it in spec.

3) Many alignment specs call for a lot of camber. I think anything over a degree will causes wear issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back