Connect a printer with parallel port to USB port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My church has an old office laser printer that comes with only a parallel port. We want to use it to print business cards through MS Publisher because it has the single sheet feeding feature that can accommodate the thick paper. The problem is that our laptop has only USB ports.

My question is how to connect the parallel port on the printer to the USB port on the laptop. My modern all-purpose color printer does not have the single sheet feeding feature. I am concerning that the business card paper will be too thick for it to handle.

They make reverse gender parallel port cables with USB plug on the other end.Dont know if that will operate the printer or not.

Parallel to USB adapters can be finicky and getting Windows to recognize them can be problematic. For setup, many adapters require that you connect the adapter to the USB port before connecting the printer. Be sure you read the recommended procedure that comes with the adapter. That one has very good reviews and for less than $20 shipped it's a great deal.

It's been awhile since I've dealt with parallel to USB adapters, but for problematic parallel printers I've always found the Belkin adapters to be the most compatible. Of course, they run about $40 IIRC. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: bubbajoe_2112
Parallel to USB adapters can be finicky and getting Windows to recognize them can be problematic. For setup, many adapters require that you connect the adapter to the USB port before connecting the printer. Be sure you read the recommended procedure that comes with the adapter. That one has very good reviews and for less than $20 shipped it's a great deal.

It's been awhile since I've dealt with parallel to USB adapters, but for problematic parallel printers I've always found the Belkin adapters to be the most compatible. Of course, they run about $40 IIRC. Good luck!

Yes, I've had good luck with the Belkin ones in the past as well
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Just make sure its parallel and not Centronics on the printer side. If not:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000510T7/

Centronics is a lot more popular on desktop printers.

You use the regular parallel cable that came with the printer to connect to the adapter, it doesn't connect directly to the printer. This is because they normally are, as you noted, centronics.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Just make sure its parallel and not Centronics on the printer side. If not:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000510T7/

Centronics is a lot more popular on desktop printers.

You use the regular parallel cable that came with the printer to connect to the adapter, it doesn't connect directly to the printer. This is because they normally are, as you noted, centronics.

Ah, yeah, I guess I should have looked at that a little closer.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back