Concorde cockpit

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Never saw a commercial airliner cockpit look anything like this. Pure guess minimum crew of three?

327876909_3143303315961370_5981640548018207442_n.jpg
320726393_1196378017964252_6215761380795153499_n.jpg

Last edited:
I know that looks seriously complex to the average person. But to those of us who deal intimately with such things, that's pretty much as expected for the cockpit technology of that time. For the most part, there are multiples of everything, making it look quite busy.

Here is a modern Gulfstream G600 cockpit. Not much in the way of analog stuff.

RFRQiTd.jpg

Always thought the British inverted ram's horn yokes were cool. I prefer them, at least from my (very) limited experience in a Hawker.

Didn't realize Gulfstream went to side sticks, been out of that scene for a while...

A wonderful aircraft.

My old mum was fortunate to get a flight on an Air France Concorde. Paris to RAF Finningley. The Concorde landed at an airshow.

When you consider that she was born in 1925, the age of the biplane, yet in her lifetime she was able to travel at Mach 2 over the Bay of Biscay in a civilian aircraft. The technological advances over such a short period never cease to amaze me.

Shame that British Airways did not take up Virgin's offer to buy the fleet and keep them flying. Hopefully, those who know about these things will explain why this did not happen.

I wanted to go for a ride on the concord but it was tommorow until tomorrow was too late. There are some cockpit flight videos on
Youtube, the cockpit crews make it seem easy !

The flight engineer on Concorde was quite busy. In addition to all the normal FE responsibilities, the airplane Center of Gravity had to be closely managed as the airplane went supersonic.

The center of pressure would move aft during supersonic flight, and make the airplane “nose heavy”. The pilots could have trimmed nose up to counteract, but that approach requires ever increasing deflection of control surfaces, and causes more drag.

By moving CG to keep it just ahead of CP, you can reduce that drag, keeping the airplane performing at its best. Sustained Mach 2 required that performance edge.

A wonderful aircraft.

My old mum was fortunate to get a flight on an Air France Concorde. Paris to RAF Finningley. The Concorde landed at an airshow.

When you consider that she was born in 1925, the age of the biplane, yet in her lifetime she was able to travel at Mach 2 over the Bay of Biscay in a civilian aircraft. The technological advances over such a short period never cease to amaze me.

Shame that British Airways did not take up Virgin's offer to buy the fleet and keep them flying. Hopefully, those who know about these things will explain why this did not happen.
Due to the age of the airframes, as they only have so many hours to fly on them, fuel and noise issues. It burns 2885 gallons per hour at full thrust. Kick in the afterburner known as "re-heat" and it jumps to 6150 gallons per hour to get it over mach 1.5. Basically the fuel bill alone would eat an airline alive.

Nice looking cockpit ( old analog gauges still look nice ).

No APU, first with FADEC engine controls and FBW IIRC.

Look at the old, monochrome weather radar ( good thing it flew so high ).

Used to see it flying into Toronto in the summer.

A well-known Concorde CA said it was easy to fly but a much more complex operation to run.

FE job was busy.

An amazing piece of engineering.

IIRC, 6 months long coarse for type rating ( all crew )

Many of the engineer's instruments are monitoring engine parameters like oil pressure and temperature. That is all automated with engine computers now.

Way back when it was still flying, while working at IAD Dulles (Washington DC area) for Mobil Oil's flight department, I was fortunate enough to occasionally be able to get near the taxiway, on one of our approved vehicles, fairly close to the Concorde on takeoff. Righteous noise level, that's for sure! And always an impressive sight.

brittish-airways-concorde-taking-off-from-edinburgh-tournhouse-airport-C0KKW1.jpg

Back