CompTia has lost it's mind and it's constituency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I got mine I thought it was stupid that they don't expire. Hardware, software and networking has changed drastically since then, and since I haven't kept up with new tech, my certs are mostly useless.

It's been a job requirement that I keep my certifications updated. My certification for Solaris System Admin that I earned when Solaris was 2.5 or 2.6 doesn't mean as much today as my certification for Solaris 10, so I updated my Solaris admin and Solaris networking certifications in the past year.

I can see both sides. There is something to be said for adding certifications, as the technology changes. There is also something to be said for keeping your word and a certification was for life.

All they really have to do is change it, create something like A+ 2010 or something like that.

So then, sure, you are A+ certified, but if someone is looking for A+ 2010 or whatever they call it, you won't have it. So technically one would still be A+, but the certification world has moved on.

For one, I think it's a realistic step to say, we'll assume you keep the skills we were looking for in A+ if you ADD certifications, and if I understand the announcement, that's what they are saying.

If you want to keep your A+, add another certification after the 3 year period.

Frankly, with how fast IT still changes that makes sense.

Certification simply proves you can pass a test. I formerly taught for Sun, and there were many who were there just to pass a test, not to be better SA's, or Network Admin's or Programmers or whatever I was teaching that week.

I tended to teach to being better at the job, not so someone could pass a test.

It's a touchy subject, and passing these tests is merely a positive discriminator, not a statement of talent.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It's been a job requirement that I keep my certifications updated. My certification for Solaris System Admin that I earned when Solaris was 2.5 or 2.6 doesn't mean as much today as my certification for Solaris 10, so I updated my Solaris admin and Solaris networking certifications in the past year.

I can see both sides. There is something to be said for adding certifications, as the technology changes. There is also something to be said for keeping your word and a certification was for life.

All they really have to do is change it, create something like A+ 2010 or something like that.

So then, sure, you are A+ certified, but if someone is looking for A+ 2010 or whatever they call it, you won't have it. So technically one would still be A+, but the certification world has moved on.

For one, I think it's a realistic step to say, we'll assume you keep the skills we were looking for in A+ if you ADD certifications, and if I understand the announcement, that's what they are saying.

If you want to keep your A+, add another certification after the 3 year period.

Frankly, with how fast IT still changes that makes sense.

Certification simply proves you can pass a test. I formerly taught for Sun, and there were many who were there just to pass a test, not to be better SA's, or Network Admin's or Programmers or whatever I was teaching that week.

I tended to teach to being better at the job, not so someone could pass a test.

It's a touchy subject, and passing these tests is merely a positive discriminator, not a statement of talent.

Some very good points there, but the point I was stressing was that if they say it's for life and it's major selling point has been the lifetime aspect, wouldn't it be reasonable to honor your word? There absolutely is a need for expiry of exams, but (as you said) a grandfather clause or new test would accomplish the same thing without controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back