Compass bubble / refill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

I've had a very trustworthy Silva Ranger for probably over 20 years, which unfortunately developed a bubble quite awhile ago.

And it's not getting any smaller.

Does anybody know who can purge and refill these compasses? I don't care for the latest 100% plastic versions of the Ranger the last time I looked and not really inclined to get another one.

I must be gettin' stubborn!

Any ideas?

RnR, I still have my Silva Ranger from college, some 35 years ago! Back then they had a generous lifetime warranty and I remember a few people getting theirs repaired or replaced under warranty for bubbles.

Today's lifetime warranty is a bit hazy, as it says it doesn't cover things past it's "normal service life", normal wear and tear, etc..

Here's what their site says: "If a bubble larger than 1/4" in diameter appears, it is probably the result of a leaking capsule, usually caused by some form of shock damage, and the capsule will have to be replaced. In that case, just call our customer satisfaction department for a return authorization number and shipping address. From the U.S.A, call 1-800-572-8822 between 8 am-6 pm, eastern time. From Canada, call 1-800-263-6390."

It might be worth a phone call to see if they still bend over backwards to maintain happy customers.

Good Luck.

That's a great summary - and from another Ranger owner to boot!

Mine is a 15T model (with a metal bezel) and as best as I can recall, has never been subjected to external shock, thus I am perplexed as to how the bubble developed. But I'll touch base with the company and see what they have to say in regard to repair/replacement options.

Thanks for the info.

I own an Expidition 54 that I've had for about 12 years now. It developed a bubble in it a little over 2 years ago. I called the company, and was told to send it in for replacement. Had a new one in about 2 weeks. Very good company, and courteous customer service.

Called the company this morning and the gal I spoke to indicated that it would likely be replaced after inspection. If so, a 515CL is apparently in my future.

Now all I have to do is (gingerly) kick the old one down the road... although a trusted old friend deserves better.

Thanks Gents!

Just to wrap this thread up... Johnson Outdoors replaced my baby with a 515CL. Had one in my hand in about a week - so no complaints about their service at all.

The 515CL is a bit more than I like in a compass - primarily due to the split in the mirror, but I can't complain too loudly about that as I'm a sporadic user and perhaps it has great utility during rigorous field use. The compass ring (if that's the proper term) is of course all plastic (sigh~ but easier to read admittedly) and setting of the declination correction is quite different now as it is accomplished via an adjustment on the bottom plate. Different but no less effective.

Overall - we're back in business again and I am thankful for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back