Coldest and hottest temperature you've experienced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in our area, -27F and 104F respectively.
Greatly prefer the latter to the former.

Coldest, certainly here in Winnipeg. We had a prolonged cold snap in late '95/early '96 that challenged records for most consecutive nights exceeding -30 C/most consecutive days not going above -20 C.

We broke -40 C a couple of times. One of those days I was taking a course on the other end of town, and decided to run to work. It was about 30 km to drive, but only about 20 km to run. Anyway, I left around 0530 and arrived earlier than I'd expected, about 0720. Had to wait around until the instructor got there, which was the cold part. My wife surprised me with a cake when I got home. The icing had a pair of running shoes and the temperature (-42.x C). [Oh, to be that young and fit and ambitious again.]

We had lived here for three years when I was a boy. I just remember it being cold, but didn't know the temperature. Per Environment Canada's records, it hit -45 C in early 1966, on at least one of the days I walked to school.

I have seen about +42 or so when living in the BC interior some years ago and like Garak, this fine Province has given me about +36 or so I can remember and lows of -40C ambient.

I've experienced over 40 here once or twice, but that's not too common. Fortunately for me, I like the heat. Unfortunately for me, the cold is murder on me, yet I still live in Saskatchewan. The upside is the G37 throws enough heat and does so quickly enough that I could wear shorts on the way to work on a cold day, were I crazy enough to try.

I've only been way too hot once in my life, and oddly enough, it was only 19 C in Prince Rupert. The humidity there was unbearable, and I didn't think I was going to make it.
wink.gif
Here, I used to do 12 mile runs in 34 C. Well, Brian, it looks like we won't go below -20 C again until 2017, thankfully.

In high school I worked in a "blast freezer" in a meat packing facility. It was one of the larger units, maybe 10x10 feet, and we needed to get "suited up" prior to entering. It was typically -40F (C also) and would occasionally get considerably colder. We'd stack vacuum packed, cardboard boxed meat on the shelves.

This thing was billed as an alternative to "flash freezing" and had some really serious mechanical equipment driving it.

As you might expect, we were kids and we'd play with the cold. Putting anything we wanted frozen in there. One could spit and it would hit the floor frozen. In short order, the spit would be gone.

Very strangely, if someone passed gas in there, it greatly affected the odor and was unbearable. So, as you might expect, one employee made a game of this.

Because it had rapid air circulation, it could freeze skin in a few minutes. Our suits were really just heavy, fur lined arctic jackets with a balaclava and fur around the hood. Even so, 5 minutes was about all we could take. The Meat was frozen solid in no time.

-56 (f) January 1972 here in central Minnesota, I worked part time going to college at local radio station with one of those outdoor white boxes that were Nat Weather Service approved. I had a day trip about 100 miles away so overnight I plugged in my 69 Chevelle, it started right up, then I stopped at the radio station to let my car warm up and the announcer was on a chair with a ruler and black marker adding slashes to the glass face of the official thermometer. It only had marks down to -40, so he marked the glass and said it was 'apox' -56 at 7am that morning. School buses were still going, life went on, unlike today's pansy people.
smile.gif

Coldest probably in ND somewhere between -30 and -40F without wind chill. The hottest was 151F on the flight deck of a C-5 in Saudi...

-07 degrees in the Ozarks one winter that was unusually cold. I make it a point to not live in, breath in, travel in, or travel to states and other locations when it's below zero. I failed on that one.

119 degrees in Death Valley. I love traveling at night in the Mojave during a heat patch when it's still 102 in Needles at midnight.

I think this is pretty much a tie....

125 in Death Valley..... my V6 Dodge Avenger started overheating on the climb over the mountain, so I slowed to 40

-30 in Minnesota

I don't remember the coldest but i sure remember the hottest because i experienced it just this past summer. I do HVAC work and i am somewhat used to the heat in FL, last august I had to do a repair in an attic of a house that was under remodeling, the roof was being changed and only had tar paper on it. I went in to assess the situation and it was scorching hot, said to myself im coming back in the morning.... this is too hot to be messing with at this time of the day. Long story short i went ahead and did the repair because there was only about 15 mins worth of work and didn't wanna go back the next day. Took a thermometer with me and went up there, thermometer read 150 degrees F, I almost passed out on my way out of the attic, heart was pounding, felt like there was no oxygen. Went down trying to cool off slowly, eventually hopped in the van and turned the AC on. After about an hour my body was still overheated and sweat pouring out even though i was driving with the AC running.

250 degrees F would be deadly for any human or dog IMO.

Last edited:
Over 150f in the top of a powerhouse that was built in the 40s and poorly maintained. The instrumentation that was up there stopped functioning over 150ish so I have no idea how hot it actually way. It was bad enough that you didn't want exposed skin and you would start shivering and feeling cold. It used to only get to 140 in the summer up there till they redid the boilers for emissions. They added a bunch of fgr equipment and poorly insulated it. In the winter time it stayed around 120f and you would half to walk up the stairs fully dressed for sub zero temps to work on a dust collector on the roof.

In the same building in the winter time one year no one had checked to see if the house heat was working and all the openings were closed up to keep the lower levels from freezing. It was below -20f outside and stuff began freezing up taking down the boilers. I was on the top floor that is normally 120f in the winter thawing out a transmitter. I had my glove off to drain the thing and as soon as the water hit my bare hand it froze.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
I think this is pretty much a tie....

125 in Death Valley..... my V6 Dodge Avenger started overheating on the climb over the mountain, so I slowed to 40

-30 in Minnesota

Hey when you get a chance, don't forget to post a picture of your Challenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back