Coffee - Your Current Brew

Found some good coffees! I made the medium dark roast. Very tasty.

Not too expensive, super fresh and rich.

These are the oiliest water decaf beans I have ever seen. These will blend well with my Brazilian.View attachment 140431
Neat-O! I'm heading to WF later today or tomorrow, and the store I frequent has an Allegro coffee bar and roasting equipment on site. Might buy a cup and give their beans a try. Thanks!

Neat-O! I'm heading to WF later today or tomorrow, and the store I frequent has an Allegro coffee bar and roasting equipment on site. Might buy a cup and give their beans a try. Thanks!
It was $11 bag. It's the only whole bean decaf they had at Whole Foods that I could see - which is ironic - WHOLE foods.

I'll try the French roast tomorrow. Interesting if those beans are oily as well.

French roast - Allegro decaf is amazing. Way smoother than the apparent roast and aroma. Again super oily

E7F45369-C883-44A2-A027-0DA34FB415AF.jpeg

This is incredibly inexpensive and will blend with my bling coffees. $17 for 2.5 pounds - and is swiss water decafed. View attachment 141123
I tried the regular version in the green bag. It is excellent...I was surprised because I was thinking Starbucks...but it's a go to coffee for sure. Been rotating through the Peets Major Dickasons, Kirkland Colombian Supremo, the House Blend and one they usually carry but not always, Mayorga Cubano roast. Not a bad cup of Joe from any of them. Under $20 for 2-3 pounds/bag.

I tried the regular version in the green bag. It is excellent...I was surprised because I was thinking Starbucks...but it's a go to coffee for sure.
Gonna try a cup straight this AM. As I stated, I make my own decaf blends. Find some typically really great decaf beans, spend the big$, and find some good low cost beans and mix them up.

Gonna try a cup straight this AM. As I stated, I make my own decaf blends. Find some typically really great decaf beans, spend the big$, and find some good low cost beans and mix them up.
Well ok mmmm I won’t say it’s burnt but yeah over roasted for a medium roast. Aroma is off thaws are not the best beans. Flavor was ok. I can use these but not over 25% of any blend.

Coffee for those that think they want or need it...not to really enjoy it.
Of course, when it comes to matters of taste — well — de gustibus non disputandum est.

As one who in the past year has (depending on how one counts age) embarked on my ninth decade on this mortal coil, i have consumed one, and sometimes as many as two, cup(s) of freshly brewed coffee about 360 mornings of every year since I was a teen-ager, and I have developed opinions, based on experience, that, fatuously, we might think ought to carry some weight; but, after all is said and done, de gustibus non disputandum est.

We have read a limited sampling of the posts under this BITOG topic, and have been struck by the focus upon the beans (and the roasters) mentioned in the contributions. The importance of the method of brewing the coffee cannot be over-stated. After years of experimenting with almost every procedure and technique to brew coffee (and the expenditures that we have made to carry out that experimentation), we ended up giving away our French presses, our pour-over equipment, our automated drip brewers, and our (very expensive) true espresso machines, and settled upon just two brewing methods: vac-pot, sometimes called "syphon," brewing, and moka pot brewing, the latter enjoyed by somewhat north of 95 percent of adult Italians as part of their morning ritual. Those two techniques produce very different results, so divergent that one might call each a compete rebuttal of the other. The coffee beans that we grind to brew by those two different methods come out of the same batch, and the brews differ accordingly.

That said, we have, at the same time, discovered specific cultivars of beans, sourced from a very good roaster in Florida who is a member of a famous family, that are among the best coffee finds that we have unearthed over the years. The roaster's business is Geisha Coffee Roasters, and its steward is a member of the Lamastus family, which has attained a status akin to coffee royalty in Central America. Some lots of coffee grown on the Lamastus Estates have sold for the highest prices that EVER have been paid for unroasted coffee beans. The estates where are grown the coffee cultivars that we favor are situated on the slopes of Volcan Barú in the community (not large enough to be called a town) of Boquete in Chiriquí Province, Panamá. Volcan Barú is, depending upon definition, an active or a dormant volcano on the border that Panamá shares with Costa Rica. From its summit, one can see both the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, which is a view that few places on earth can offer.

Our purchases from Geisha Coffee have focused upon two varietals: Elida Estate Natural ASD and a well-blended traditional Mocha-Java mix. The Mocha-Java coffee has a round and balanced mellow richness; the Elida Estate Natural ASD coffee is very unusual and distinctive. The "ASD" part is an acronym for Anerobic Slow Dry, a technique in which, after the just-picked beans are quickly washed, and still damp, they are placed in hermetically sealed tanks to age and to begin fermenting, in the same manner that some red wine grapes are fermented before they are mashed, for a carefully monitored period of 60 or more days, before being spread out on drying racks. The aging gives the coffee brewed from the beans a subtle tangy edge that is unique. The dried beans are then bagged and shipped to coffee roasters, including Geisha Coffee in Tampa, Florida. The Lamastus family were early-stage pioneers in developing the ASD technique.

Purchased something completely unknown today
I was in a local market this morning and these beans caught my eye. Made by a local roaster, their description looked interesting and a little different. I'll brew a cup in the morning and will discover what's in the bag.

1678058906915.jpeg

Of course I MUST order this.

Of course I MUST order this.

I looked into the coffee I purchased today and is a Burundi/Guatemala blend.

Burundi Coffee Story​

All coffees from Burundi are small production micro-lots. Many are heritage coffees from plants with no genetic modification, often growing in the shade of banana trees, among cassava plants, corn, beans, and tea. Their quality is genuine and pure.

In Burundi, cultural norms shift slowly, and women still lack full property ownership rights or equal access to education. JNP Coffee uses the power of specialty coffee to transform the lives of women growers by paying them directly for their work, encouraging community and challenging customs as they become central participants in their local economies. Typically, women reinvest 90 percent of their income back into their families and community. No wonder women-produced coffee commands a premium in today's market. We recognize that it holds a value beyond coffee.

Guatemalan Coffee Story​

La Ceiba is a collective of more than 40 indigenous Poqomam farmers from Palin. The Poqomam farmers have cultivated coffee for over 170 years, and are reclaiming the hillsides for the first time in 50 years. Red Bay Coffee and non-profit organization Farm2Cup have worked together for the past two years to help facilitate the export of La Ceiba's coffee, paying the farmers a fair price for the green coffee through a direct trade relationship.

Last edited:
This was surprisingly good coffee, especially for the price that Trader Joe's was selling it for. Apart from a nice flavor, albeit just a scosh thin for my taste (I give it an 8.5 out of 10), there was no discernable chaff in the first two pots that I brewed. It's quite good brewed stronger and enjoyed with milk or half-and-half. I'd very much like to try their Kenya blend.

1679232121223.jpeg

Back