Coffee - Your Current Brew

I'm pretty much a Folgers man for everyday coffee. I used to like the high-priced stuff more than I do now, and I used to like Starbucks. Chock Full 'o' Nuts is pretty good for supermarket coffee, I buy it when it's on sale. Recently tried Yuban, the "normal" flavor, whatever they call it, and it was also pretty good.

Anybody try the coffee that's been pooped out by civets?

Rand, I'd really like to try some of your coffee.

Seattle's Best (med roast #3)
8 O'Clock (med roast, ground)
Clover Valley decaf from Dollar Store

Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker from Walmart ($17.99)

I roast with a hottop roaster, and get my beans from sweetmarias.com

Doing it for years, can't stand Charbucks or Tim Hortons now.

I figure the money and time I've saved not waiting in line. I truly look forward to my coffee in the morning.

There's only two types of coffee Arabica and Robusta. All the fancy names and locations come from these two types of plants. Useless fact for the day. I wish I could remember useful stuff!

Last edited:
The best thing about my coffee(not a shill I dont sell it lol)

It isnt bitter. You can just use more for stronger. It can also take heat better and roast darker.
I usually stop at CITY+ about 10-15seconds after second crack.

Most dark roasts taste horribly burnt to me. IE half of starbucks coffee.

Some local roasters here are good but they use cheaper beans than I do.. and charge around 10$/lb

I use better beans and my cost on this Grade A bolivian comes out to about 3$/lb (cost of beans +shipping) also there is about 13% weight loss during roasting so you have to take that into account.. my final price is about 3$ + my time. Electricity is around 10cents a lb of coffee roasted.

In the past I've used coffee costing as much as 10$/lb and while its better its not enough better to justify it. I will probably get Grade AA next time it is definitely better than this Grade A I have now.. but not amazingly better.

current coffee=
http://invalsacoffee.com/collections/bolivia/products/bol-a-uchumachi

next coffee(in 3-4 monthes)
http://invalsacoffee.com/collections/bolivia/products/bol-aa-san-ignacio

Last edited:
Bought two cans of Trader Joe's Organic Fair Trade Bolivian yesterday. I have been buying this for about the last year, because its organic, and tastes consistently good. It has a nice caramel aftertaste and is moderatly sweet without sugar. Kinda like hot Green tea. It also tastes like it has a bit of cream in it. Always a interesting single origin at TJ's. The previous trip it was organic from Honduras.

The Starbucks French roast is the darkest coffee I've ever seen. The whole bean comes out of the bag black in color. I drink my coffee black so the taste I get is the taste of the coffee and I've never tasted a coffee I like as much. It is far and away my all time favorite cuppa'!

We used the home version of the Bunn coffee maker, like the op has, for over twenty years, and loved them. The last few we had started leaking within the first year. Bunn was always good about replacing them but it got to be a hassle and the cost of shipping back the leaking machine isn't cheap. A couple of years ago I started looking for something simple and easy that would make good tasting coffee quickly. Been using the Melitta ever since. Makes a brew similar to a French Press but without the grit.

7hhy.jpg
i58v.jpg

If you are not going to grind your own beans before brewing than you might as well drink any pre-ground swill like Folgers...after all it's mountain grown : )

So get high quality low speed burr grinder and then buy small batches of whole bean coffee until you find what you like best. Sumatra coffees tend do do very well in blind tastings.

I switch between Costco sold Seattle's Best Sumatra

http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Mountain-Bodied-Sumatra-Coffee/dp/B000TBHEIQ

Or Java Pura Expresso blend beans which are without a doubt the finest tasting smoothest coffee I have ever tasted.

http://www.javapura.com/merchant2/mercha...ory_Code=BLENDS

I use a aeropress to make coffee on mornings that I don't drink tea. It is simple, inexpensive and makes superb coffee very easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

btw - Starbucks seems completely incapable of roasting and producing anything other than burnt, bitter, nasty tasting coffees. When I see the clue-free crowds in a Starbucks I am amazed.

btw - A word of caution, don't even start down this path unless you are a serious coffee drinker - once you get used to the good stuff the normal swill offered in stores, offices, and restaurants will become completely undrinkable...I'm serious, it won;t even taste like real coffee. In an emergency I can drink [censored] coffee with copious milk and sugar (instead of black like I normally drink) but it's tough duty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brandini
I use the local guys: http://www.blanchardscoffee.com/

Currently going through my bag of Malwai Estate Washed AA

Otherwise I can't recommend them highly enough. Tiny operation, US owned, and they go way past Fair Trade: http://www.blanchardscoffee.com/2/post/2013/08/straight-talk-about-sustainability.html

I use an electric kettle, Chemex, and my grinder is a radial burr 1/2 horsepower behemoth from a convenience store. MSRP of these things are $800 new, this one works great and I snagged it for $60. Some think conical burr is better- but I've seen a few tests where they analyzed the grinds and the radial had fewer fines and more consistent sizing. For drip coffee, it's truly hard to beat. For espresso, go burr or go home.
2010-07-13%252018.30.44.jpg

That is a beast. Nice on the Chemex too, do you get the fancy paper filters you have to fold up?

I have a mazzer grinder. They say the grind is more important than the coffee or esspreso maker. I get lazy with my espresso machine and find I just use the Technivorn day to day.

Cringe at the blade grinders, nasty.

I love coffee, probably a coffee snob.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: double vanos
I use Eight O'clock coffee as well but tell me, how is the Chock full o nuts? I've wanted to try it for a long time, Krogers carries it. How does CFON compare to the eight o'clock?
Thanks!

LOL, we can make acronyms out of anything!

I like the CFON. It's my go-to coffee in a can. It's darker than the 8:00, richer, not as "bright." Blends well with other coffees.

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
The Starbucks French roast is the darkest coffee I've ever seen. The whole bean comes out of the bag black in color. I drink my coffee black so the taste I get is the taste of the coffee and I've never tasted a coffee I like as much. It is far and away my all time favorite cuppa'!

We used the home version of the Bunn coffee maker, like the op has, for over twenty years, and loved them. The last few we had started leaking within the first year. Bunn was always good about replacing them but it got to be a hassle and the cost of shipping back the leaking machine isn't cheap. A couple of years ago I started looking for something simple and easy that would make good tasting coffee quickly. Been using the Melitta ever since. Makes a brew similar to a French Press but without the grit.

7hhy.jpg
i58v.jpg

Hmm... You're by far not the first person I've heard talk about a leaky BUNN. We'll see how she does.

Back