code reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to decide whether to purchase a code reader but don't know what I should look for. Can they all clear codes? I saw one at Wal Maet for avout $90 and there are a few on e-bay for around $60. Any recommendations for the average mechanic with 2 later model cars?

what are the two cars, how much do you want to be able to do? do you want be able to read manufacturer specific codes, diag ABS and airbag lights as well?

all cars from 1996 and newer use OBD II protocol and you can get a scantool to read those codes for all cars sold in the U.S.
the basic code reader will read codes, scroll through them and erase them. some of the fancier ones will give you the generic definition so you don't have to look in the book.

if you get an OBD-II scan tool, make sure it can read CAN codes as well. (CAN=controller area network)

if you have a car older than 1995 then everything changes. each manufacturer had their own standard. Actron and Equus make a scantool that has the connectors for the older cars, but not all of them. Actron is better because it gives you live data on a few things, whereas the equus I had just said whether a sensor was "ready" or not.

01 Park Avenue, 06 Colorado. No, probably not the airbags, never had an ABS problem, so I don't whethr it's worth the additional cost. Trying to decide whether I should just keep going to AZ to get it done.

I have Innova Equus 3100 OBDII code reader and reset "Check Engine Light", it also can clear all codes. It is CAN (Controller Area Network) capable.

There is a barely used Innova Equus 3100 from Ebay seller jjg4048, no one bid on it yet with starting bid of $49.99 and free shipping.

The other one may be better (it is a newer version) from seller h22civswp ($45 + free shipping)

I have an Actron Pocket Plus that I purchased at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9410-Pock...7781&sr=8-1

You can put a battery in to save codes and can go online to get the details. After so many times I think you have to pay. My problem was the women of the house was not tightening the gas cap on her Lexus RX300. It would throw two or three codes when it happened. I ended up being able to train her to tighten the gas cap. Maybe wait until you have a situation where you need to read codes? You may get lucky. Or, you can be prepared and have another toy, I mean tool. I have mine in my car. I had a EGR problem that almost stranded in the country one day. A code reader would have come in handy.

+1 for the Actron Pocket Plus. Advanced Auto Parts for $79, I think. Reads code and supposedly IDs major vs minor problem and erases codes

I bought one of the less expensive acutron palm sized ones years ago. Paid $80 for it at that time they now sell for $50/$60 bucks. It does everything I want and super handy, and yes it does clear the codes, but of courst you can do that by disconnecting the battery. The one thing is you have to look the code up in the book, or on the computer, but thats no big deal.

I prefer the scan tools that allow you to read the data stream: actual coolant temperature, the actual output from the O2 sensors, etc.

I picked one up from AZ for 170.00. Its pretty cool, it will read and delete, give you live data and tell you what the code means. OBII and CAN compliant....but if your live close to a AZ they can read the code for you for free.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
.but if your live close to a AZ they can read the code for you for free.

Only if you do NOT live in Kalifornia!

on some cars you can disconnect the battery for like 10 minutes and code(s) will clear out. It isn't always the case though.

as for AZ, yeah, in CA they're not allowed to read codes for you, but they are allowed to loan you the tool and YOU can read teh codes.

In general, OBD-II codes are not cleared from the computer when the battery is disconnected. The standard requires fault indications to persist.

The codes on pre-OBD-II computers are typically cleared when the battery is disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back