Coast Guard announces 3 p.m. ET press conference following 'debris field' discovery for missing submarine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Structural failure was, sadly, the most likely scenario.

To lose communication two hours into a three hour descent points to failure before they reached the bottom. There were ballast fail safes that would have allowed ascent without electric power when they were a few hours past their planned time on the bottom.

“Once more on the deck I stand, of my own swift-gliding craft: Set sail! farewell to the land! The gale follows fair abaft.”

peace out

I love escalators and hoistway elevators. It's not that I can't stand hydraulic elevators, I don't like how slow they are.

There's probably 1 elevator / escalator tech for every 5,000 elevators and 500 escalators. Rarely do I hear about incidents. I'll admit I don't know all the inner-workings of a hoistway elevator, but I've seen how they work a little. Anyone probably has a better chance at winning the lottery and getting struck by lightening than to have an issue on an elevator that causes injury or worse.

I think most of the injuries suffered on escalators are 99.9% caused by the rider with their foot placement, footwear and .... just being stupid. I don't see much harm in standing in the middle of the steps and resting your hand on the hand belt.

The sounds that they had picked up were likely normal sounds of the sea. I watched a former Navy submarine officer last night explain that the ocean is a very noisy environment and filtering out sounds to figure which was natural and which was manmade was not easy.

I spent a lot of time going to sea on Submarines. 12 patrols on two different SSBNs, plus the work I do now. The only out come that would have been better is if they lived. This tells me they went fast and that is how I would have wanted to go. I have a lot of thoughts and opinions on this whole subject, I will keep them to myself. All I will say is after serving on Submarines no amount of money in the world could have got me on board that submersible. At least they found it. It will provide a small amount of closure. Maybe now we can leave that area of the ocean alone and let everyone there rest in peace.

The resting place of the Titanic should be off limit to tourists. It's not a tourists spot. Leave it alone

Perhaps or perhaps not. Obviously the technology and engineering needed to transport people down that deep is still a work in progress. The same can be said for space travel.

There are a lot of shipwrecks worldwide that get attention and are popular dive sites. A lot of WW2 wrecks in the Pacific have become popular

Latest report says memo discloses the debris is from the exterior of the Titan submersible vessel. We will probably get confirmation soon at the 3:00pm E.T. press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back