Cleaning - wear and accuracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Would you explain "back bored"?

Back Boring is usually for shotguns.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=103

I think he means re-crowning or deep crowning. Basically they take a drill and drill out the rifling for about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

In all of the FFL dealer ads I used to get it was listed as "some bores may be dark and/or back bored". Usually these were com block rifles. And a few I sold, especially beat up 91/30 Rifles had well over an inch back bored. Google around and you will see others use the term as well. We just associate it with shotguns now cause several brands market their products as having "back bore technology" Sometimes you will see it called counter bored as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I
I have also seen remarks that guns can be ruined by over cleaning, sometimes making references to military firearms being worn out due to too stringent of cleanliness standards or having nothing else better to do during idle time. Again I ask, what is the actual cause of this? Damage to the bore from metal cleaning rods? I ask so I can make sure to avoid it while caring for my own firearms.

Think about this for a minute. You are probably pushing a jacketed bullet down the barrel at 900-1,300 FPS over and over. metal rubbing on metal. I don't think a metal rod and cotton patch is going to do anything. If you are worried, use a plastic rod and patches. The only issue I have with a dirty gun is my Mossberg 500. The fired shell will not extract as well. This is only an issue if I run about 300 rounds without cleaning. I always clean my handgun and AR after each shooting trip. It doesn't matter if I fired 50 or 500 rounds that day

You know what? I DID think about what you said.
And you make a lot of sense!
I will note that the crown is important and can be fussy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back