Clatter noise after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Keep using the larger filter. Full it slightly better. Let the oil soak into the media and then fill it again. You will get more oil into it

So does this larger filter have the same by-pass pressure rating. If not that could be a/the problem.
If the by-pass ratings are the same then my guess is the clatter is from the top end being dry when the filter gets removed. Not much you can do about that other than .
Check out the by-pass ratings on the stock piece vs the one you are using. If its more than a few psi different then I suggest using the appropriate filter.
Bigger isn't always better.

I looked it up when he posted it- bypass pressure rating is identical. Burst pressure is lower, but that's generally true for larger filters and is still well over 200 PSI. All three filters mentioned in this thread (I added the 51515 to the discussion) are interchangeable, the only differences being outside dimension and media surface area. Chrysler has even OEM'd all 3 at different times on this engine in different vehicles, depending on space constraints.

And as mentioned in other threads, "turning the engine over with the coil unplugged to build pressure prior to start up" is FAR worse than just starting it up and building pressure fast. The slow grinding of parts together at low RPM with the starter for a long time scrapes off the remaining oil film and increases metal-to-metal contact. Its best to let the engine fire in as few turns of the starter as possible- the clatter is less damaging than cranking, higher-speed contact doesn't wipe away the residual oil film as badly since a hydrodynamic wedge can form and keep the parts separated... even before oil pressure builds up.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Keep using the larger filter. Full it slightly better. Let the oil soak into the media and then fill it again. You will get more oil into it

So does this larger filter have the same by-pass pressure rating. If not that could be a/the problem.
If the by-pass ratings are the same then my guess is the clatter is from the top end being dry when the filter gets removed. Not much you can do about that other than .
Check out the by-pass ratings on the stock piece vs the one you are using. If its more than a few psi different then I suggest using the appropriate filter.
Bigger isn't always better.

I looked it up when he posted it- bypass pressure rating is identical. Burst pressure is lower, but that's generally true for larger filters and is still well over 200 PSI. All three filters mentioned in this thread (I added the 51515 to the discussion) are interchangeable, the only differences being outside dimension and media surface area. Chrysler has even OEM'd all 3 at different times on this engine in different vehicles, depending on space constraints.

And as mentioned in other threads, "turning the engine over with the coil unplugged to build pressure prior to start up" is FAR worse than just starting it up and building pressure fast. The slow grinding of parts together at low RPM with the starter for a long time scrapes off the remaining oil film and increases metal-to-metal contact. Its best to let the engine fire in as few turns of the starter as possible- the clatter is less damaging than cranking, higher-speed contact doesn't wipe away the residual oil film as badly since a hydrodynamic wedge can form and keep the parts separated... even before oil pressure builds up.

Now THAT is excellent info to know.

Thanks 440

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back