civic turbo running mobil1 HM 10-30w

Status
Not open for further replies.
BuickGN,

If a car is made to run on 87 octane but you go ahead a pour 92 into it, does the PCM advance the timing when there's 92 in the tank?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: cpvue
honda's come from the factory stock running pig rich. lean them out and then you get more mileage. makes sense doesn't it?

How did you lean it out, did you reflash the PCM? Also, if you've got it leaned out, why are you worried about fuel dilution?

they man that tuned my car chipped the ECU to run a form of standalone (ectune). it's leaned out during part throttle but it does richen during boost. also, it does still have cold starts where the fuel maps are richened until the engine hits a certain temp. i let my car at least get to 'warm up' to the bottom of the cold line. anyone who has a turbo car almost never wants to drive it 'cold'.

I can totally see better fuel mileage turbocharged. With the cruise on, leaner in vacuum, and probably not that rich with just a little boost (like cresting grades and such), it's a no brainer. With the turbo, when the engine sees just a hint more load like on a light hill, just a couple psi of boost is all it takes with barely anymore throttle; where as a stock motor would have a higher load doing the same.

BuickGN,

If a car is made to run on 87 octane but you go ahead a pour 92 into it, does the PCM advance the timing when there's 92 in the tank?

Nope. They dont work like that.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I can totally see better fuel mileage turbocharged. With the cruise on, leaner in vacuum, and probably not that rich with just a little boost (like cresting grades and such), it's a no brainer. With the turbo, when the engine sees just a hint more load like on a light hill, just a couple psi of boost is all it takes with barely anymore throttle; where as a stock motor would have a higher load doing the same.

I have a low pressure, low inertia turbo in my saab. What you claim seems to be accurate to what I see in terms of turbo gauge and my foot position in typical careful driving...

Apparently the Bosch/saab trionic version 8 is pretty advanced. Not sure if that has anything to do with it...

JMH

I'm late to this thread but I would like to ask why the oil brand change? With that many miles you were doing pretty well. Do you expect an improvement in lubrication performance for the added expense?

BarkerMan, it was really random to tell you the truth. i seen it on sale at wally world one day and just bought it because i've read of people having good UOA on M1 HM 10w-30/40. i just wanted something fully synthetic for the turbo. they didn't have full synthetic maxlife in the 5 quart jugs at wally world at the time.

i've actually had to replace the valve seals because of horrible oil burning in the upper rpm range.

i still have pretty even compression across the board.

BuickGN,

That would be nice but no. Most cars are designed to run on 87 octane but can't sense octane and that's where the extra mileage can be extracted with a better tune. The extra timing helps to lower the higher EGTs from the lean mix. I only experimented because I was driving from Bakersfield to Fresno every day when my beater car was broken and had lots of time on my hands. It's no longer set up that way because it had a horrible studder when I would accelerate or climb a small hill from running too lean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back