CILANTRO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Chinese Parsley(Cilantro) in soups or steam fish. Also use green onions to blend the flavor, good combo. I like eating Asian veggie soups with Cilantro a good body detox.

I work with a guy that has the same hate of cilantro. I've noticed he doesn't much like spicy or herbed dishes in general.

I seem to have a tipping point. I like a bit in certain salsas. Too much in certain soups and it tastes....soapy.

I love cilantro. Even if I didn't though, I couldn't imagine it being so prevalent there is no way to avoid it. It is primarily used on Mexican food, so just don't eat Mexican food.

Originally Posted By: aztec12
I like cilantro mainly on salsas ,pico de gallo,authentic tacos etc,but I would not use it on pizza, burgers, hot dogs,etc.
My point is that while its great on some food it's not on every food.

I like it in marinara. I put some in a bok choy soup once and my wife did not like it at all.

Originally Posted By: 96Cherokee
Cilantro is great!

X2, just love the flavor it gives when used in Mexican cooking, how could you not like it
crackmeup2.gif

That's probably a Minnesota thing. Spicy foods probably are not a favorite there, and cilantro usually accompanies spicy foods.

Go eat some lutefisk if you don't like it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Too much in certain soups and it tastes....soapy.

Exactly, I'll be eating something trying to figure out the wierd aftertaste. Sure enough, it's Cilantro. Some people seem to think that thier seasoning of choice is what the food should taste like. All seasoning should enhance the natural flavoring of the food, not transform it. Salt is one of the most over used flavor enhancers. Just a dash brings flavor out, I don't want to eat a salt lick.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
That's probably a Minnesota thing. Spicy foods probably are not a favorite there, and cilantro usually accompanies spicy foods.

Go eat some lutefisk if you don't like it.
grin.gif

They're not any less a favorite than anywhere else outside of the deep south in the US.

Cilantro to me is vile, I can taste it in the most minute quantity. I never went to Chipotle or Qdoba because they had the cilantro in the rice. Finally I found out you can ask for it without cilantro (and I found out the hot salsa has no cilantro). It turned both those places into a couple of my favorites.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Cilantro to me is vile, I can taste it in the most minute quantity. I never went to Chipotle or Qdoba because they had the cilantro in the rice. Finally I found out you can ask for it without cilantro (and I found out the hot salsa has no cilantro). It turned both those places into a couple of my favorites.

Cilantro may have conflicts in taste from cultural upbringing. When Cilantro are used in certain cuisine health benefits are passed down from years ago.

Cilantro are very common in Asian cuisine so some may have conflicting taste who aren't accustom to Asian cuisine. It's a choice though if one dislikes the after taste.

I am not a violent man, but I have been known to strike people for bringing cilantro too close to me.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I work with a guy that has the same hate of cilantro. I've noticed he doesn't much like spicy or herbed dishes in general.

I seem to have a tipping point. I like a bit in certain salsas. Too much in certain soups and it tastes....soapy.

My Mexican girlfriend introduced me to cilantro. My first impression was that it did indeed taste like SOAP! Many years later I have become accustomed to it and enjoy it in proper proportions. I don't like it on everything mind you....but in recipes where it belongs I find it refreshing in flavor.

And lemonade drinks taste like lemon scented dish washing liquid. Seriously who ate soap and how do you even draw that comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back