Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A base 300 or pick-up (either/both with a Hemi) sounds like a pretty good deal to me...

Of course, I probably keep my cars & trucks a little bit "...longer than the average bear, Boo-boo!"

Cheers!

"All seals, gaskets and for me a 4WD the front hubs alone can be $1200.00 to replace and they usually wear out by 100,000."

Panzerman makes a good case above. My base Pacifica is pretty simple: 4 speed Auto, 3.5L., and I think this is a good deal. But give me one of the new 6 speed auto, or 4x4, or turbo, and I can't even imagine the cost of repair on those. Everything has to break at some point. Too bad diesels not included, but can understand why.

Okay, here is the rub: the powertrain warranty will be interpreted as only covering a powertrain part if a powertrain part was reponsible for the failure. Confusing? The way way they have interpreted this in the past is if you have a piston with a hole in it, then they say it was caused by a lean mixture from a vacuum leak in the PCV hose. Then they say that the PCV hose is not a powertrain part, therefore they will not rebuild your engine because a non powertrain part destroyed your powertrain. Get it?

IMHO the the lawyers who write the unlimited powertrain warranty leave unlimited loopholes for denying powertrain repairs. What do really want to bet that I am wrong? How long have automobile manufacturers offered something for nothing? Don't fall for this ruse.

"This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle."

Sounds like Chrysler is betting the bulk of customers will ignore this 2 month window giving them an out.I give it half-third will be quite annoyed when this period passes....

I agree with rjundi. This is more about human behavior than it is a technical exercise. The same idea with rebates. What is the submission rate?... 30%? People will simply be too busy to go to the dealer every 5 years, especially if their car is running fine.

Quote:

"This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle."

Sounds like Chrysler is betting the bulk of customers will ignore this 2 month window giving them an out.I give it half-third will be quite annoyed when this period passes....

Chrysler knows the percentage of new vehicle buyers that keep the vehicle beyond 5yrs is low. Couple that with the 60day window, the percentage gets even lower.

Joel

My negative view of corporate biw-wigs makes we wonder if the warranty is a scheme to run up stock values so the big-wigs holding that stock can sell it for BIG bucks and are thus prepared when the "corporate ship" sinks beneath their feet.

Since chrysler is in a financial bind, it would be stupid to give a lifetime powertrain warrany and deny people left and right because of a loophole. talk about losing customers for life.

None of the small print on "powertrain inspections" kicks in for five years.

Five years from now is a very long time in automobile company years.

By then, Chrysler could be gone, or could be turned around and making mountains of money.

Either way, they could stick it to the old customer who forgot that detail and not care a wit about the consequences.

Until then, it looks like a decent five-year warranty.

A "ruse?" It's free to new vehicle buyers. What exactly, then, is the expense downside??? And if Chrysler goes belly-up? GM was interested, and a dozen or so others, there will be a buyer. (May not be any repair coverage, like Daewoo, but...).

Nobody out there has ever had a CV joint and/or boot break? Transmission? Amazing! What cars do you guys have? I want one of those...

Okay, here we go....you lost your CV joint? "Sorry sir that is not covered by the warranty because that is damage caused by a road hazard." I have been in this business a long time and I have heard all these fabulous warranties explained away in person. There is no way Chrysler is really going to warranty your powertrain for life.I have seen Chrysler try and weasle their way out of failed pistons in the first 5000 miles on a new Durango. "Our warranty does not cover abuse". There was no abuse involved at all, just normal driving.

Quote:

Okay, here we go....you lost your CV joint? "Sorry sir that is not covered by the warranty because that is damage caused by a road hazard."

It's stated right in Chrysler's 'what's covered' documentation that CV joints and boots are covered. I suppose you could run over something & tear up a boot, but that would be rare. That aside, you know the dealership service dept will work you over for collateral damage money makers. "We found your brakes severly worn when we dropped the steering knuckle to replace the CV joint boot, the ABS exciter ring is too rusted, etc...etc.." There will always be extras. I'd still be happy with that warranty anyway.

Joel

Quote:

Since chrysler is in a financial bind, it would be stupid to give a lifetime powertrain warrany and deny people left and right because of a loophole. talk about losing customers for life.

Chrysler already lost this customer for life. POS fuel pump, or, more probably, some other undiagnosed problem has turned me away for good. They replaced OVER 20 Fuel pumps on one car. At the time, I wasn't keen enough to know the Lemon Law, or I would have gotten a new car from them. Then again, I didn't want a new car from them. I actually had to buy a car a couple of years ago and wondered onto a Chrysler lot...by the time I looked at the condition of the fasteners, the pressed steel parts that looked too flimsy, the gold-colored bent and shaped trunk latches, etc., I kicked myself in the seat and thought, "No way".

I hope they improve. They'll have to in order for me to ever even wander onto their lot again. I think they may have a winner in the 300 Series, but, you can't ride the "hemi engine" theme forever before people realize it's much more complicated than a "theme engine".

Re-reading these posts, it looks like I am an apologist for Chrysler. I'm not. The worse car I've ever owned was a 1976 Plymouth Volare. So...I know what a bad car is all about. Decades later, I chanced a PT Cruiser, which turned out to have been the best car I've ever owned (and I owned a 2000 Honda CR-V, as comparison). I'm just saying, a free extra "warranty" is better than none at all, although I readily concede a "covered service" might not get covered in real life, especially (unfortunately) when domestic manufacturers are involved.

OK, everyone now buy a Subaru and sleep well...

Please forgive me while I beat this dead horse. Okay, the warranty specifically covers broken CV joints. Once again,Chrysler can elect to say that the CV joint failed from a road hazard "not a manufacurer defect". I am telling you, they don't actually fix stuff on these unlimited warranties. The only thing unlimited about them are the number of loopholes they devise to avoid fixing the car. The "road hazard" they refer to is dirt or ice. It is up to you to prove that dirt or ice did not tear your CV boot.I only know this because I used to work on cars professionally and I have seen all the unlimited warranties and extended warranties in action. If you want, send me another warranty item and I can weasle out of paying that too.

deadhorse.gif

Quote:

If you want, send me another warranty item and I can weasle out of paying that too.

Who are you, Bob Nardelli's Son in Law?
laugh.gif
Gimme a break. If the claim is legit and one Chrysler service dept wont warranty it, another will. Unfortunately since dealerships are independently owned and operated businesses, that's the way it will always be.

Joel

I do have to hand it to Chrysler my wifes uncle has a 2001 Dodge Ram with the Offroad package and for the longest time had this clunking noise everytime he made a turn. They started with the basics then changed the power steering pump and pretty much rebuilt the front end and all it was was a loose bolt from the skid plate. All this didnt even cost him a dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back