Chrome no longer supports Linux Mint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
An update for Chromium hit my computer last night, in the package download title it said "The open source version of Chrome"

Out of curiosity, what is the version of Chromium now on your system after that update? And which distro/ version are you using? Still Mint MATE 17.3 32 bit?

I just updated to the development version of Ubuntu 16.04 and have Chrome 48.0.2564.82.

Version 48.0.2564.82 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on LinuxMint 17.3

I'm still on Mate 32-bit.

Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
Originally Posted By: badtlc
I think I just witnessed a meltdown.

I doubt you could discern the distinction between "a meltdown" and "open source."
18.gif

I have not been involved in that topic but your reading comprehension has been shown to be lacking in this thread. Please attack the appropriate target if you feel like trolling.

I'm finally getting the "Chrome is no longer supported" message, guess it's time to switch over to Chromium.

I'm finally getting the "Chrome is no longer supported" message, guess it's time to switch over to Chromium.

Be mindful that you'll likely have to (manually) install the addons that provide Flash playback and PDF display: Those are the main closed-source things Google adds to Chrome. I am unsure what they're called exactly in the Ubuntu or Mint repositories.

Chromium works fine for 32-bit at this time. You may want to try other options such as Firefox or Opera. If Opera, get it directly from Opera as its .DEB installer should add the Opera direct repositories for updates.

Originally Posted By: StorminNorvin
Chromium works fine for 32-bit at this time.

And Mint 17.x/ Ubuntu 14.04 will continue to receive security updates for a good few more years; so Chromium - even if it stops getting version bumps from the Ubuntu LTS repo's - will not be left entirely out in the cold.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Be mindful that you'll likely have to (manually) install the addons that provide Flash playback and PDF display: Those are the main closed-source things Google adds to Chrome. I am unsure what they're called exactly in the Ubuntu or Mint repositories.

Chromium appears to have Flash and PDF viewer built in. I have yet to find a difference between Chrome and Chromium.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Chromium appears to have Flash and PDF viewer built in. I have yet to find a difference between Chrome and Chromium.

It does not. It requires the chromium plugin package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back