Chrome clad wheels are a bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only vehicle I've had with these was an '05 F-150 that I bought in 2010. They looked like new, I had no idea they were plastic until I went to wash them.

!st encountered this trash on a 2006 Ram w/ 20 inch rims. Was royally pee'd. Traded that for a 3/4 ton Cummins version. This one has 17 inch, eight-bolt rims that are, wait for it, crome-bloody-clad... Hate it.

John.

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
!st encountered this trash on a 2006 Ram w/ 20 inch rims. Was royally pee'd. Traded that for a 3/4 ton Cummins version. This one has 17 inch, eight-bolt rims that are, wait for it, crome-bloody-clad... Hate it.

John.

Good to know you get those wheels on a 50K truck as well!

My first exposure was on my 2004 Ram 1500. I didn't have any problems with them in the 4 years I owned the truck, including new tires installed at Walmart.

My 2012 Silverado LS has the chrome steel wheels with the bonded caps. They look good, but I never realized all the work that had to go into balancing them once I saw the video Traction posted.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Traction

Well that's part of the point. The manufacturers always changing something, and it greatly adds to the total costs. I would think I would think a few hub diameters, and wheel bolt patterns would work for everything, but no, GM had to come up with a 6 on 132mm bolt pattern, instead of something more common. Collectively, not just me, but just that one change will cost everyone millions.

Man, what's up with this? MIL has a buick Lacrosse that takes 5x120. GM used to be 5x114.3 and now they're 100, 110, 115, 120. I figure it's to sabotage swaps to older rims without TPMS, or maybe also they have some different offsets and don't want to upset their stability control with non-carefully chosen rims.

It's because they are using what they call global platforms. The Lacrosse has the same basic underpinnings as the Regal, which is actually a rebadged Opel Insignia. One of the first global cars that was an import to us was the Cadillac Catera, another Opel, and then the Pontiac GTO(Australian Holden Monaro). All these cars were 5x120 because it was the common layout in their markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back