Chrome clad wheels are a bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like many manufacturers are going to plastic chrome clad aluminum wheels. Probably because they could never get chrome plated wheels to hold up for very long in winter conditions. Most people are shocked to find out their new wheels are nothing more than a chrome hubcap permanently bonded to the wheel. Easily scratched or cracked while mounting and balancing tires. They cannot be repaired, and must be replaced. Many shops will end up destroying them. I just had a 2013 Jeep Liberty yesterday with chrome clad wheels, and between 8 different balancing cones, and flange plates, they wouldn't even mount up to the balancer. So, I had to spend another $800 to order a set of low taper cones, and another adaptor. If you think it costs too much to balance a wheel, it is not the installers fault, but more of the OEM's fault for re-inventing the wheel constantly, and not standardize on anything. I have now spent over $3000 dollars just on wheel centering equipment. That more that the wheel balancer cost! Chrome clad wheels also require $1200+ flange plates to clamp the wheel to the balancer. A pressure cup will crack the wheel.

Last edited:
That's a cost of doing business. If you choose to be in the tire business, then one of the costs you'll bear is the constant changes that manufacturers make.

I wondered about some of those Jeep wheels.. I had no idea this is how they were constructed. Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Not that it's a total deal breaker, but something to consider.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I wondered about some of those Jeep wheels.. I had no idea this is how they were constructed. Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Not that it's a total deal breaker, but something to consider.

Chrome clad wheels are news to me. But a Google search shows up threads from the late 2000's and also on forums of Ford and GM. Simpleton that I am, I never minded plastic wheel covers ("hub caps") on steel wheels.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
... I never minded plastic wheel covers ("hub caps") on steel wheels.

Couldn't agree more there. That's my preferred setup!

Yes they are terrible. A lot of Ford & GM trucks/suvs also come with these type wheels.

We used to have a 2010 Explorer that came with 18" chrome-clad wheels. I didn't even know what chrome cladding was, never heard of it. My dad was over looking at our new SUV and he flicked one of the wheels with his finger and yelled 'hey that's plastic!' I was pretty disappointed.

Then a year later my wife scrubbed a curb avoiding another car that pulled out. The wheel had a small dent in the lip. Took it to my trusty tire shop and they explained how these type of wheels were not repairable. So I said forget this and bought a whole new set of proper aluminum wheels. Sold the chrome clad wheels on Ebay and nearly broke even on the swap.

Since then I've made sure to avoid them when car shopping.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That's a cost of doing business. If you choose to be in the tire business, then one of the costs you'll bear is the constant changes that manufacturers make.

Well that's part of the point. The manufacturers always changing something, and it greatly adds to the total costs. I would think a few hub diameters, and wheel bolt patterns would work for everything, but no, GM had to come up with a 6 on 132mm bolt pattern, instead of something more common. Collectively, not just me, but just that one change will cost everyone millions.

My GMC has 'chrome clad' wheels.

Good friend owns our local Michelin tire store (Ocean Tire in Hermosa Beach).
Picking my pickup up from him today after rotation and balance.

He earns a very good living.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Well that's part of the point. The manufacturers always changing something, and it greatly adds to the total costs. I would think a few hub diameters, and wheel bolt patterns would work for everything, but no, GM had to come up with a 6 on 132mm bolt pattern, instead of something more common. Collectively, not just me, but just that one change will cost everyone millions.

After spending $800 to update my 14 year old balancer in order to do the newer, not better designs, it's going to cost the owners of the of the next 800 tires a dollar ea. more, till I get my money back.

...it's going to cost the owners of the of the next 800 tires a dollar ea. more, till I get my money back.

Most successful concerns pass "it's going to cost" costs along to their customers/clients in order to stay in business.
Otherwise they just go away.

Perhaps the operators if these newer vehicles with them fancy wheels budgeted accordingly for their upkeep and repairs?

My B-I-L is a economics professor at Iowa State. Things (like COL) are different there than here but most folks will get it.
Otherwise they'll adopt a more modest hardware lifestyle. Or just go away.

One of the best reasons to shop for a polished aluminum wheel IMO.

My son was livid when he found out his MKZ had fake plastic chrome.

Pretty fragile stuff from the examples I've seen...

The chrome clad stuff is pretty lame. Tons of customers in asking for the center cap thinking it is all one piece. Then they get the quote for $1200+ for a single wheel. I would rather have what is on my 14 and my mom's Fusion, real painted alloy wheels.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
..My son was livid when he found out his MKZ had fake plastic chrome..

I'm quite certain he is a smart, reasoned and intelligent man like his father.

My tarted up 'chrome' wheels were a "mandatory option" to have mine equipped exactly how I wanted it built.
Although mine was glued together in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Texas it's called, not coincidentally, the 'Texas Package.'
We don't call it that out here. :p

Point is "chrome clad wheels" and "wheels with composite cladding" was disclosed in writing on multiple documents during
the ordering process and prior to and during delivery.
Me thinks those disclosures and warnings were the direct result of GM losing costly lawsuits.

Remember the hapless Trans-Am owners that discovered after purchase their Ponchos were actually a turd Olds 403? Whoops!
smile.gif

I like them. They stay cleaner and brake dust doesn't seem to stick to them as easily. They are also easier to take care of IMHO.

The downside-yes if you hit a curb they will break.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
..My son was livid when he found out his MKZ had fake plastic chrome..

I'm quite certain he is a smart, reasoned and intelligent man like his father.

My tarted up 'chrome' wheels were a "mandatory option" to have mine equipped exactly how I wanted it built.
Although mine was glued together in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Texas it's called, not coincidentally, the 'Texas Package.'
We don't call it that out here. :p

Point is "chrome clad wheels" and "wheels with composite cladding" was disclosed in writing on multiple documents during
the ordering process and prior to and during delivery.
Me thinks those disclosures and warnings were the direct result of GM losing costly lawsuits.

Remember the hapless Trans-Am owners that discovered after purchase their Ponchos were actually a turd Olds 403? Whoops!
smile.gif

Or my Dad who ordered his beautiful 76 Caddy Seville and got an olds 350! Yep, I guess GM learned something.

And my thanks, he is a good kid who works hard and takes care of his family. I'm very proud of him...

And just to add to my point of standard parts in general, look up the one tire choice for a Mazda CX-7, a 215/70-17, [censored]? What would be so wrong with a more common 225/65-17? Which even that is weird.

Last edited:
No, new chrome wheels still have a copper undercoat and then a chrome rich powder coat. They are then clear powder coated over top of that.

No different than how grey painted alloys are done, and some of them have been cleared for a long time too.

The lack of a front rim lip, lower profile, and greater use of runflat tires has more to do with difficulty.

Sounds like you bought equipment to service with best practices to ensure safety of the wheel finish on modern wheels/tires. Sounds like best practice and a smart move. Now get yourself established as someone who can mount high end performance tires safely on big wheels and you'll be able to attract a good portion of the high end crowd locally.

Well that's part of the point. The manufacturers always changing something, and it greatly adds to the total costs. I would think I would think a few hub diameters, and wheel bolt patterns would work for everything, but no, GM had to come up with a 6 on 132mm bolt pattern, instead of something more common. Collectively, not just me, but just that one change will cost everyone millions.

Man, what's up with this? MIL has a buick Lacrosse that takes 5x120. GM used to be 5x114.3 and now they're 100, 110, 115, 120. I figure it's to sabotage swaps to older rims without TPMS, or maybe also they have some different offsets and don't want to upset their stability control with non-carefully chosen rims.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
No, new chrome wheels still have a copper undercoat and then a chrome rich powder coat. They are then clear powder coated over top of that.

No different than how grey painted alloys are done, and some of them have been cleared for a long time too.

The lack of a front rim lip, lower profile, and greater use of runflat tires has more to do with difficulty.

Sounds like you bought equipment to service with best practices to ensure safety of the wheel finish on modern wheels/tires. Sounds like best practice and a smart move. Now get yourself established as someone who can mount high end performance tires safely on big wheels and you'll be able to attract a good portion of the high end crowd locally.

Yes some new OEM wheels are chrome plated aluminum, but most new cars, now have just a bonded chrome plastic cover. Looks like the real deal, until you tap on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back