Choosing a dishwasher..help BITOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my Wife a KitchenAid stainless steel gas range w/double oven for Christmas. With a stainless friges and range our old white dishwasher is the odd man out. I'd like to also buy a new dishwasher but I'm having trouble picking one out. Any ideas from my fellow BITOG friends? It seems like every brand/model have rave and horrible reviews at the same time.

Do not buy a kitchenaid dishwasher . junk.
G.e. profile or if you can afford it a bosch . That is the hot setup.

Consumer Reports is one of the best sources for that kind of info. Any one BIOTG member has not had experience with more than one or two dishwashers.

Anyway BIOTG members would rate a dishwasher on how well it cleans car parts (when wife is gone) or oil drain pans.

I always clean the flame arrester from my Mercruiser in the dishwasher.

IN my 35 years of using dishwashers, my observations are that the noisy ones clean much better than the whisper quiet ones. For the last 15 years I have been using a "builders special" that came with my new home. It has one knob and a heated dry on/off switch. Best I have ever used when it comes to cleaning. But a bit noisy. In 15 years, I can count on one hand the times a dish or pan came out not clean.

I second consumer reports. Just bought a new dishwasher and washing machine at Home Depot based upon CR. Wished I listened/read 4 years ago when we bought our last washer. It was a GE and it appeared to have been a top loader that had been flipped over to its side to become a front loader. Hinges looked like it was from a top loader (cheap). Had to replace the door several times (all under warranty, and while I rarely buy extended warranty, something told me to do it for this GE washer and I’m glad I did). One time we had to wait 1 month from the date we called in for repairs to the time it was fixed (Sure was fun with a family of 4). Swore I would never buy another GE product again because of their quality and lack of customer service. BTW, the new dishwasher is a Maytag (Never had problems with their products) and the washer is a LG.

why not put a stainles steel front panel on he one you have now?
21.gif

I have used Whirlpool and have been pleased. Kitchenaid is made by Whirlpool but is their high end brand. Probably more stuff to break. You may check the consumer magazines out on which models perform well for the price. I have heard that more models are using self clean filters instead of automatic ones

I bought a Frigidaire FPHD2491K F, one of their Professional Series over a year ago. It was pricey, SEARS sells it at $712 now.

It has no controls on front of door, only at top. It is VERY quiet, you really can't hear it running at all. It cleans very well, even large loads.

Only two complaints, 1) it uses a long cycle, 125 minutes. But most new dishwashers are like this. 2) You can't put a large item in bottom tray front near soap dispenser or it won't open the whole way. I think it still works fine though.

It is also stainless steel on the inside. A real top of the line model. Has nice wine glass holders too. Silverware basket is HUGE and keeps each piece separate. Top rack is easily adjustable.

Last edited:
We purchased a Maytag mid-grade unit at Home Depot at substantial discount when they offered a special sale a few years ago.

Three things were required:
Quiet as possible
Top rack needs to have one side deeper than the other
Dual cleaning, one spinner on top, one on the bottom.

Get a mid-grade unit with as much silencer as you can afford. The loud ones cleaned only OK, this unit, model "Quiet Series 300", cleans much better.

It also has a deeper side to the 2nd rack so tall things fit on one side in the 'loft' area and it has dual cleaning spinners, one on top & one on the bottom. So far, this has been a solid unit.

Lastly, my sister bought a Bosch unit for 2-3x the price many years ago, she's had two repairs to it, but it does a fantastic job cleaning and is whisper quiet.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I don't allow any G.E. products in my home.

+1.
We bought a Whirlpool Gold unit about 8 years ago. Quiet, no repairs, cleans really well, looks good.

Like all dishwashers it did better before the detergent industry stopped using phosphates: a monument to the blind stupidity of the EPA. We went to rural hardware stores and bought all of the old formula we could find. I'm good until 2013.

Originally Posted By: AITG

+1.
We bought a Whirlpool Gold unit about 8 years ago. Quiet, no repairs, cleans really well, looks good.

Like all dishwashers it did better before the detergent industry stopped using phosphates: a monument to the blind stupidity of the EPA. We went to rural hardware stores and bought all of the old formula we could find. I'm good until 2013.

+1. Have a Whirlpool Gold, Quiet Partner 3 of the same vintage. Does an excellent job, is quiet (is slightly noisier than the $850 Bosch I almost bought but I liked the $300 extra change left in my pocket) and have never had an issue with it. We are having the same issue with the detergent (not the machines fault) and have found Cascade and Costco's house brand as the only two decent ones we have found.

+1 on Kitchenaid dishwashers being junk. Have replaced the electronic circuit board 3 times. First two under warranty. When this board goes the dishwasher goes.

I install appliances for friends , family, neighbors , etc.
G.E. profile (the better ones) .G.E. Happens to make decent quality. We have had more problems with whirlpool , kitchenaid, kenmore. Why do you think sears had to buy A&E service company. Its not because their products were great.
Now they do have some junk too. Take their front load shakey washers.
Overall, its a [censored] shoot.
I would stay clear of exotic brands ( l.g. samsung. asko) . There is nobody to service them or parts available.

I think people don't like GE for political reasons in some of these cases - not the quality of the product.

Just speculating.

We bought a new LG dishwasher from Sears just two weeks ago. I installed it myself which went okay. So far it seems to be quiet and clean well so no complaints. This particular dishwasher does not have a heating coil inside so we use rinse aid which aids in making dishes sparkling clean.

In our personal experience, any dishwasher tends to last ~10 years before the trays start rusting etc. Typically one to three repairs will be required to get to 10 years with each repair costing roughly $150. I've also read that it doesn't really matter how much you spend...even the cheapest dishwashers will clean dishes nicely. The more expensive models just offer nicer aesthetics, quieter or more features/settings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hermann
IN my 35 years of using dishwashers, my observations are that the noisy ones clean much better than the whisper quiet ones. For the last 15 years I have been using a "builders special" that came with my new home. It has one knob and a heated dry on/off switch. Best I have ever used when it comes to cleaning. But a bit noisy. In 15 years, I can count on one hand the times a dish or pan came out not clean.

I bought a cheap one from Sears 2-3 years ago for less than $150, it has 1 control knob and a heated dry on/off switch too. It's simple to use and clean the dishes well.

The old one was more than 10 years old when we bought the house in 1997, so that it was more than 20 years old when it died in 2008-2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back