Chevron ATF MD-3 spec for Dexron IIIG and earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife found this 1990 Volvo 240 last year with only 19,000 miles and wanted it. We owned one in the past. I would have preferred something else, but it is her car. I've done quite a few things on this 23 yr old car to get it running "new" again. I purchased this ATF from Costco given the price and did 4 drain and fills last year and 2 this year after the dealer where we bought it did an initial pan drop and filter change. Probably overkill on the fluid exchange. Anyway, shifts nicely. When I read the product information online, Chevron states for Dexron IIIH and earlier but I recently looked at a bottle which reads Dexron IIIG and earlier. I don't know the difference between the two and both are improved compared to the Dexron IID specified in the Owner's Manual. I was not trying to be cheap and avoid a synthetic, I was just looking for a regular ATF and do a drain and fill or two each year. So, I was a bit disappointed when I saw the discrepancy. I have to temper that with my guess that there is no functional difference or transmission life difference between using a DEX IIIG vs a DEXIIIH. And, perhaps the bottle is not correct. I believe this AW70 transmission is fairly durable. I have been reading about the Allison TES-389 spec and will look for an ATF that meets that spec whenever I finish this case. Perhaps the Mobil DM3 product. Comments and insights are welcome. Thanks.

H was more shear stable for 105k OCIs. G was shorter-life, 60k or something?

You would be well suited to not go that long with either fluid.

My main concern is that it was old stock.

Id use the Mobil myself.

You're right, that trans will take anything that sounds like Dex and like it. The AW71 in my 940 turbo shifted great at 240k miles-- in fact, "they" say wear makes them shift a little more firmly. Why not store brand Dex VI? Adjust your throttle linkage and TV cable, they tend to get sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back