Check your Supertechs carefully.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by Walmart yesterday for rock salt, and took a look at the oil/filter section(as I always do)

I opened a few Supertech filter boxes and saw what looked to be Fram "guts", different from the previous design, which was Champ Labs, I think...

Im wondering if we're getting the re-badged Frams like Canada gets. Anyone know???

We (us Canadians) get relabeled Frams? Last I checked all we got are Frams, well at least the Walmart in town sells nothing but Frams on the shelves, but I have seen Pennzoil filters in the service bay.

bobfather99,

Thanks for heads up, I will not buy Fram oil filters.

I did buy a SuperTech this fall for a Crown Vic (4.6) and it was definitely a Champion Labs filter.

There's more than one Supertech filter type. Some are e-core with the plastic "lattice" and some have a traditional metal tube.

The one I saw was a "Made in Mexico" Super Tech.

Autozone sells the same filter with a Valucraft label.

Looks like pure junk.

I think some of these are even showing up in AC Delco boxes painted blue.

But I believe Champion is the culprit, not Fram.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The one I saw was a "Made in Mexico" Super Tech.

SOME SuperTech oil filters were made in Mexico before they started to manufacture the ecore filters. One of the these was the 3600 number. Was this a recently made filter or was it an older one?

Originally Posted By: 55
We (us Canadians) get relabeled Frams? Last I checked all we got are Frams, well at least the Walmart in town sells nothing but Frams on the shelves, but I have seen Pennzoil filters in the service bay.

I thought Supertechs were at Canadian Walmarts, but were rebadged Frams. Sorry 'bout that.

The couple filters I saw were definitely not Champion Labs filters. Same color and packaging, though.

The reason I do this is because once I bought a 3387A filter box with a 3614 filter inside. I ALWAYS check now!!!

The Supertechs - unless something changed very recently - are still made by Champion. There was one design change where they started manufacturing the ADBV with a hard plastic seal rather than a rubber/silicone seal. The filter itself was still pretty decent. I looked for the link that showed where a guy had torn one apart, but couldn't find it. This is across more than just the 3600 filter - I saw it on the 7317 filter for my wife's Altima.

Watch your oil filters, make sure they are not made in China, Some Far Eastern country, nor some Latin American country either. It may be made of junk material that may ruin your engines. My opinion only....

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
Watch your oil filters, make sure they are not made in China, Some Far Eastern country, nor some Latin American country either. It may be made of junk material that may ruin your engines. My opinion only....

They have been around for awhile.
Way back in the early 80s I saw a fake Fram oil filter that had been cut open. The inside steel tube was actually made from a can of Chinese made peaches. The paint on the center tube had a picture of a peach on it and the writing was in Chinese. The "filter" material was actually wadded up cotton and this filter had failed.
Actually, all things considered, maybe today the counterfeit filter would be worth MORE than the.......
Oh, never mind. I'm going to bite my tongue now.

The Penzoil filters are just Fram filters painted yellow and labeled Penzoil. They were anyway last I knew.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

The Penzoil filters are just Fram filters painted yellow and labeled Penzoil. They were anyway last I knew.

Not anymore.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Not anymore.

Im starting to see a few Pennzoil filters that look like Purolators at my local Murrays. Maybe they are switching suppliers.

supertec has downsized their filters.i have a 03 sonata and the orignal filter was a normal size i have one and the new one is smaller.i think champion labs did a downsize on all their filters i the new ones for my car look like they are toys.that includs super tec stp and mobile 1 i took pictures of them but i am not very computer savoy so i cant post them i am going to check purolater and fram today.

All Walmart Supertech filters are sourced through Champion Labs, not Honeywell/Fram. Not all Supertech part numbers will come out of the same factory. Same thing goes with brand-name filters.

Joel

I would imagine that all the Ecore's come out of the same facility. They have 3 in the US that manufacture ..and a few others that just do distribution.

Saw some Supertech oil filters yesterday at WM. They had "AA" stamped on the bottom and "Made in the USA" on the top.

For $2.84, it doesn't sound bad. Any way to tell based on the info if this is a Fram or Champion?

I really need to see one of these alleged "Fram" ST filters. They could just discount Frams to their true worth and beat their own price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back