Check your dog food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
For those who don't watch the news, the FDA is warning that certain dog food brands may cause heart disease. We recently switched to 4Health ironically. Not taking chances with my best friends.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-fo...-16-dog-food-brands-under-investigation/

[Linked Image]

AZJeff
What number is your 4Health dog food rated at?

Originally Posted by hatt
The first ingredient in most dog food is corn. Also something that has never appeared in a wild canine diet and is only on dog food because it's very cheap.

Here in Oz, it's usually wheat...same logic (if you call it that).

Our local vet was Dr. Ian Billinghurst...
https://www.amazon.com.au/Give-Your...&hvtargid=pla-453576399090&psc=1

He started his search for canine diets when he had a number of cusomers ask for advice on breeds that lived 8-10 years, for lifestyle choiices, wanting to not be burdened after the kids moved out for example...some crazy logic, but what people were after.

He went through his records, and found that some dogs, regardless of breed lived long and healthy lives, then just passed away, and some were chronically ill and died early.

Not breed specific.

Then reviewing those customers that would talk at length, the dogs that ate meat, bones, and table scraps were the healthiest, and those that ate processed foods, especially dry foods were the more chronically ill, and not long lived.

And it's not expensive...chicken wings, chicken frames, lamb shanks (there weren't expensive in the day), and pork hocks etc....raw. And yes, a combination of vegetables, some cooked (like frozen three veg mix), some blended to resemble the stomach contents of animals (wild canines will eat stomach contents), and offal a couple of times per month...hearts, liver, brains, kidneys.

The animals thrive... my husky/samoyed, unfortunately outlived her marbles, but was healthy all the way. The elkhound not so much but I couldn't stop neighbours feeding her junk (she was popular, and our back lane was a thoroughfare to the local primary school).

been feeding our Lhasa Apso taste of the wild since 6 months old . he's been doing great and still acting like a 6 month old puppy at age 8 makes you wonder about these reports

Originally Posted by Shannow

Linus Pauling, double nobel winner used dogs to investigate artherosclerosis, as they don't get it in the wild...by elevating the insulin levels in individual arteries, he was able to introduce blockages into individual arteries (and even veins), which were returned to their normal state when the insulin was removed.

Interesting that he also noted that in animals that produce their own vit C, they produce it at many times the concentration of our "RDA" approach that is just enough to stop your teeth falling out.

Linus Pauling contributed greatly to molecular science with commitment to understanding and researching quantum theory and mechanics. For it he earned ONE science Nobel prize. .

Pauling was a physical chemist and not at all a physiologist or medical professional by any stretch. Most all of his later work was pure quackery and fully recognized as that now by health scientists, including the vitamin C nonsense. He's quite a lot like Bertram Russell and others in the regard of translating serious success in one field into dazzlingly distracting and unfounded assertions in another, as long as politically fashionable - science be [censored].. Very talented in a narrow field and used to being celebrated - translating that into self-delusional omniscience and pontification. He was deeply tied to self-dealing health organizations in latter years and embarrassingly discredited today. Quackwatch.org has a decent handling of this, as do many other credible sources.

He started his search for canine diets when he had a number of cusomers ask for advice on breeds that lived 8-10 years, for lifestyle choiices, wanting to not be burdened after the kids moved out for example...some crazy logic, but what people were after.

He went through his records, and found that some dogs, regardless of breed lived long and healthy lives, then just passed away, and some were chronically ill and died early.

Not breed specific.

Then reviewing those customers that would talk at length, the dogs that ate meat, bones, and table scraps were the healthiest, and those that ate processed foods, especially dry foods were the more chronically ill, and not long lived.

And it's not expensive...chicken wings, chicken frames, lamb shanks (there weren't expensive in the day), and pork hocks etc....raw. And yes, a combination of vegetables, some cooked (like frozen three veg mix), some blended to resemble the stomach contents of animals (wild canines will eat stomach contents), and offal a couple of times per month...hearts, liver, brains, kidneys.

This I 100% agree with, though I don't have a scientific sample.

A few years ago I had to let go of two dogs I had cared for since 8 week pups, at age 17.5 and 18.5 years. The vet who cared for them the last year actually begged me to tell her how I kept them so healthy - in fact did not believe their birth dates when I reported them, until I showed their AKC papers - and all I could say was that I fed them like described above and cleaned their teeth. Otherwise they never really saw a vet, though I watched their health like a hawk and had medical training myself. I used common evolutionary/medical sense and fed them as rounded a diet as I could, just like above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look into Honest Kitchen dog food...its all I give my best friend as well as Raw meat

Originally Posted by FT92
been feeding our Lhasa Apso taste of the wild since 6 months old . he's been doing great and still acting like a 6 month old puppy at age 8 makes you wonder about these reports

What's to wonder? The FDA noticed a correlation between reports of this disease and the dog food being used. One would think if this had nothing to do with diet it's incidence would track with volume of brand sold but apparently it doesn't. Of course every dog eating grain free dog food isn't going to get DCM and apparently a few breeds are more prone to it. Just something to be aware of. If the FDA had this info and sat on it instead of making it public and it got leaked they'd be accused of a cover-up.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
Mine tastes great!

Just finished my last bowl this morning.
lol.gif

It makes no sense to list only by brand when within those brands there are different formulas with different ingredients. The only number is the number of cases reported, which is meaningless without comparing to the overall number of dogs eating that brand / formula. Also many of them come from the same factories and are likely an identical product.

Originally Posted by mk378
It makes no sense to list only by brand when within those brands there are different formulas with different ingredients. The only number is the number of cases reported, which is meaningless without comparing to the overall number of dogs eating that brand / formula. Also many of them come from the same factories and are likely an identical product.

Yep... The lack of detail is absolutely stunning and I can't believe anyone would publish this. Part of the FDA's job is to track information and conduct studies. It appears this is still being investigated and no official report is published.

I think CBS news had a slow moment and decided to print the preliminary information produced by the FDA. If the information is part of a study and not marked classified in any way (ie. marked as FOUO or SECRET etc) then, it's by default public information. I strongly suspect that lobbyists for the multi-billion $/year dog food industry are going to be all over this like a duck on June bug. The FDA might need to change it's procedures on the markings of internal documents for studies underway.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...ion-possible-connection-between-diet-and
https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...ween-diet-and-cases-canine-heart-disease
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...nnection-between-certain-diets-and-cases

Ray

PS: For my 3 dogs, we cook hamburger, chicken, rice etc and mix it with store-bought dog food (along with canned pumpkin and green beans). They also get table scrap They're all between 10 and 13 years old and are in excellent health and we exercise them (walking and low intensity ball catching) daily.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

AZJeff

Not sure what you mean?

Where would 4Health be listed on the chart you showed us........ what number? Was that brand tested?

My friend's 4-5 year old dog fell over and died a couple years ago. They only bought high end dog food. Their dog is probably included in this.

Oh yeah, dog was very obese but I sure the dog food killed the dog.

AZJeff

Not sure what you mean?

Where would 4Health be listed on the chart you showed us........ what number? Was that brand tested?

We started buying 4Health grain free several months ago, buying into the hype unfortunately so it would be the 4th highest brand on that list. Interestingly Taste of the Wild (3rd on the list) and 4Health are made by Diamond Pet Foods Inc.

Lets be clear. The FDA is investigating, not warning about anything.

With that said, it absolutely BLOWS MY MIND that people feed their dog the same brand food everyday and expect to have a healthy dog.

Does anyone reading this honestly believe that you would be healthy and fit if you ate Burger King or any fast food, same meal, everyday of your life?

Why on earth do you do that to your dog? Come on people! Talk about buying corporate marketing! Why? why? on earth do people stick with the same brand food?
Hello?? *L*

Always vary your dogs (or cat) diet. Canned food is always best but if even dry food. Buy at LEAST two different companies products and rotate their meals from one brand to the other.
AS a bonus, add some peas or carrots and safe fruits such as apple, buy some cheap tuna in water or canned salmon or mackerel in the supermarket and sprinkle a little on top of their food, come on already, pet food company has you by the ______. Sams Club Rotisserie 3 lb chickens are cheaper then dog food. We actually cut them up into small pieces and freeze in bags always having one bag in the refrigerator and sprinkle on top of the dog food.

Warning, Im repeating what we do and can not post everything in this thread, always first research the safe fruits and vegetables for dogs or cats first. Your in these forums so you know how to use a computer, things like onions, garlic, nuts and pits can be dangerous.

Here is what we do,

1. Breakfast (just a light meal) - small amount of kibble dog food (rotated by brand whenever we run out) and some lactose free milk sprinkled on top.

2. Dinner - 1 can of any of 5 different company brand dog foods, with the following added, small about of frozen peas and carrots from Walmart, small amount of any type of fruit that we have laying around (apple ect) and human meat sprinkled on top, which consists of any leftover steak, chicken, ect OR if we dont have leftovers, we also have cans of cheap tuna in water or mackeral or salmon and as mentioned above a 3 lb chopped up chicken in the freezer.
Adding people food is cheaper then the garbage dog food and my feeling excellent source of clean protein for the dog.

Also read the dog food contents on the label, buy food with named meats, use your computer and research dog food reviews and ratings, Whole Dog Journal is another good source of information.

and one last time, always research the safe foods for your pet BEFORE giving it to them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Lets be clear. The FDA is investigating, not warning about anything.

With that said, it absolutely BLOWS MY MIND that people feed their dog the same brand food everyday and expect to have a healthy dog.

Does anyone reading this honestly believe that you would be healthy and fit if you ate Burger King or any fast food, same meal, everyday of your life?

Why on earth do you do that to your dog? Come on people! Talk about buying corporate marketing! Why? why? on earth do people stick with the same brand food?
Hello?? *L*

Amen - Amen - Amen!
Currently, I alternate equally, using three different brands and three different flavors. Then after a few years, I try (3) others. This is for a small dog ..... 14" high and 22 lbs.
All are high quality and a mix of Grain Free and Grain included. My average bag size is 24lbs and they cost at least $55 (not on sale). I have paid $70 for a bag of dog food.

My dogs only visit the vet to have their mandatory shots every once in a while. No symptoms that are common with cheap dog foods...... nothing! They live a long life.

I give my dogs Pedigree canned food and they love it.

I recently bought Crave canned dog food (was BOGO free sale) and they go bonkers for it. I usually mix with a small amount of rice and Cosequin table for joint health.

The occasional scraps of beef , chicken and turkey are also good for dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back