Changed oil from 0W20 to 5W30 and ...

5W-30 is the only oil I will ever use. Google HTHS wear graph. It convinced me.

Billions of dollars are spent by all the oil mfcrs to achieve the best mpg they can. Low viscosity oils has been the answer for all of them.

Both sides want it ALL.

Thin: "I get better gas mileage with just as good protection " No, no you don't.

Thick: "I protect better and get better mpg". No, no you don't

I've had the same results, long term, in my vehicles. I contribute it to piston ring seal. Last Fall I went with 5w-40 and over the winter MPG's fell slightly from average. We will see what happens this Summer.
I'm not giving up on 5w-40's. Engines run so much better.

I've had the same results, long term, in my vehicles. I contribute it to piston ring seal. Last Fall I went with 5w-40 and over the winter MPG's fell slightly from average. We will see what happens this Summer.
I'm not giving up on 5w-40's. Engines run so much better.
How do you quantify that the engine runs so much better? I've tried various grades in various vehicles and it feels exactly the same to me when I drive them no matter the grade.

How do you quantify that the engine runs so much better? I've tried various grades in various vehicles and it feels exactly the same to me when I drive them no matter the grade.
7ln03i.jpg

Quantify? Easy if you're not deaf, a drone driver, and monitor the dipstick
HTHS for me equals smoother/quieter engine with less oil consumption.

Enjoy the 5w30. Now go out and use a 0w40 next time for another 2mpg :oops:
I would wager a blind Pepsi-Challenge test would say otherwise at least with the audible/smooth comments...

The first annual BITOG 20 vs 40 Challenge! Step right up ladies and gents...see if you can guess the oil grade!

I'm also switching to a 30 from 20 for the 2023 Sonata. Not for any other reason than I have so much of it on hand. I guess another benefit is it keeps both vehicles on the same oil. In my case at least, i've never noticed an mpg difference attributable to an increase in visc.
Maybe not, now that I read this manual. For years H/K has allowed xw20, xw30 and in some cases xw40 in the 4 cylinders. This '23 Sonata only lists 0W-20.

I know, I know, an increase in viscosity is perfectly fine. Yes, you and I know this. My concern is unnecessary, drawn out disputes with a dealership and/or the mfcr. Don't need the headaches.

Maybe not, now that I read this manual. For years H/K has allowed xw20, xw30 and in some cases xw40 in the 4 cylinders. This '23 Sonata only lists 0W-20.

I know, I know, an increase in viscosity is perfectly fine. Yes, you and I know this. My concern is unnecessary, drawn out disputes with a dealership and/or the mfcr. Don't need the headaches.
Very reasonable to consider it and yes, as much as everyone chirps that "they have to prove it was the cause" what a mess if you do...so much easier to remove that variable.

Back