Changed my TL's lifetime fill today. Sand inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the second time I've done a drain and refill on the radiator. The car is 2.5 years old with 66K miles on it and I changed it this time last year too. Last time I drained it and didn't pay much attention. This time I drained it into a brand new container and the drain valve on the radiator drained right into the container, no fluid hit the car to pick up dirt in the process.

So I'm looking at it and notice what looks like sand. Not much at all but I'm assuming this is just from the block and head castings. I'm not sure how abrasive sand would hurt things but I'm sure it's not good for seals, especially the water pump seal. Anyway, I'll probably let it go a until I do the timing belt this time around since I've gotten the majority of the dirt out. Something to think about for the lifetime fill guys.

It isn't lifetime fill. Type 2 is supposed to be changed at 10 years or 120k or when code 5 appears on the Maintenance Minder.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It isn't lifetime fill. Type 2 is supposed to be changed at 10 years or 120k or when code 5 appears on the Maintenance Minder.

I just considered it lifetime since the timing belt/water pump comes up in 105K. Radiator looked amazingly clean though.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
Just curious, what type of fluid does the TL take?

The blue stuff lol. I'm not sure what it's called, I'm sure Mike in the post above knows for sure.

Honda only has 1 type of regular coolant, & it's called Type 2, as mentioned above. They have a concentrated version that is available in northern areas where a block heater is required.

Bet this stuff IS sand from the casting of the engine or heads.

Honda was having an overheating problem with their GL1800 GoldWings. Most of the problems turned out to be that one or both of the heads were cast wrong and did not hold much coolant, however some owners found SAND in the coolant when they drained it. Saw photos of it and it looked bad. I remember that at least two guys on the GL1800.org site had this. Honda requested that this stuff be sent to them for examination. (Never did hear what Honda said about it but there have not been any more problems with overheating due to not enough coolant or sand in the passages in the heads).

Don't know about the TL, but many Honda car (and motorcycle) engines are made in Anna Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back