Change jobs from a short commute to a long one?

I don't want to get into the weeds / details too much; let me try to keep it brief.
My current commute to work is 2.5 miles one way, about six minutes. I am considering changing jobs to where my commute would be 50 miles and 50 minutes.
Insurance and benefits are comparable, perhaps just slightly better at my current job. Pay would be comparable starting out, long term would likely have more opportunity for advancement at the new job. My main issue is job satisfaction. While the jobs are somewhat similar at a base level, I believe I would enjoy the new job much more. I currently work five days a week, six days a week 50% of the time, or more. New job would be four-tens, Monday through Thursday.
With two hours of driving, Monday - Thursday would be 12-hour days.
Long term, if I commute, I will try to sell the Explorer and get maybe a Corolla. I would need to save up for that to happen (just bought the RAV4). I would likely be driving the Tacoma most days. (In signature) (Maybe could pull 23-25 MPG??)
Or, long term, sell our current house and buy something closer. (That's a big deal, of course).
Thoughts?
Definitely go for the 4 10's. If the future job has great growth potential go for it. That's a great sign and opportunity. I can see it leading to more.

I agree, although one time I bought the car I wanted, and kept it for over 10 years (and 300k). That was a commuter that I loved.

Ditto. In college I was carless and biked to/from school, and while it definitely had bad days, I was in way better shape for it, and my wallet thanked me too. But these days, I step onto my porch and... yeah it's nice.

VW diesel wagon ?

From your signature, you are not a kid. You might be about 1/2 to 2/3 through your working years. This is a family discussion. I suppose this place might give you a bit of perspective to sway a wife or family member of the merits of what I believe you have already decided to do. Understand the pros and cons and best wishes on a successful career and a happy home life.

As for the long term, keep in mind that because of climate hysteria the rumors of 15 minute cities, climate lock downs and limited use of your ICE vehicle may become a reality in the not so distant future. Not trying to engage in a debate here, just trying to help you see the big picture.
Its our job to make sure that the climate hysteria is based on scare tactics with no science behind it except the climate has been changing for millions of years.

I did that….4 miles to 13, my choice as I moved.

Then, 13 to 24 miles. Big bump in pay. This co (current employer) moved us 4 miles away, now 28 miles. That 4 miles meant 15-30 min longer. Did that 4 years. Seriously destroyed my quality of life. Ice storm 28 miles could be 2 hours one way.

Office moved again, only 13 miles away and now 2 days per week remote. Both gifts.

We have people who used to commute 80+ miles. I always wondered if the pay were worth it.

We have people who used to commute 80+ miles. I always wondered if the pay were worth it.
Still do. It works for me, but, when I got my drivers license, it was 30min/30miles to the nearest “mall” (more of a strip mall). Bangor was that distance again. Grew up thinking nothing of getting into a car for an hour.

My pay is ok, engineer for a semiconductor manufacturer, limits my opportunities but for now, it works. Trying to get the wife to look in Boston for her job, maybe I can companies and we get an apartment down there. I don’t think she likes the idea though.

As for the long term, keep in mind that because of climate hysteria the rumors of 15 minute cities, climate lock downs and limited use of your ICE vehicle may become a reality in the not so distant future. Not trying to engage in a debate here, just trying to help you see the big picture.
Oh please. That's about as likely as them prohibiting you from using your fireplace in the not so distant future.

I confess to not reading every word but here goes. You're looking at 100 miles a day extra driving (rounded off) at how much per mile all in? Forty cents a mile maybe? So the new job, again rounding off, is going to cost an extra $150 per week above your current commuting expenses.

How are the 7 cars in your signature allocated? Use a couple of them to get a Corolla or similar to majorly cut commute expenses? Good luck with your decision.

In addition to the extra wear and tear on your car and body, you need to acknowledge that you are essentially taking a ~20% pay cut if you factor in the additional 8 hours of unpaid travel time for your commute. We don't know your profession, however, recognizing that Charlotte, N.C. is one of the top 5 business growth meccas in the U.S., I'd suspect that other employment opportunities are available within a lesser distance.

Other things to consider include a Plan B exit strategy if the new job does not pan out. If you decide to make the change, don't make any changes to your current housing and vehicle ownership situation for at least 6 - 12 months so you can get past the honeymoon phase of a new job. Who knows...by then, the current economy and car market may work to your advantage.

Last edited:
Most of my career with the exception of March 2020 till now has been as a commuter, minimum commute no traffic was 40ish minutes, 30 miles when there was no traffic usually closer to 50 minutes in reality while being smart about when to leave to get there. Longer driving commute 50 - 55 miles, 70 to 80 minutes no traffic, same story as above. Plus some years with a short drive and public transit (90 to 120 minutes door to door). All those times are each way. If traffic is in play don’t underestimate it. After the 60 minute mark IMO stuff starts to go downhill. Others have made all the salient points, commute serves as time to clear your head, think about the fact that it is a 12 hour day door to door ultimately if there is nothing added in between, time with and impact on kids and family, added cost impact in fuel and wear and tear.

I don't want to get into the weeds / details too much; let me try to keep it brief.
My current commute to work is 2.5 miles one way, about six minutes. I am considering changing jobs to where my commute would be 50 miles and 50 minutes.
Insurance and benefits are comparable, perhaps just slightly better at my current job. Pay would be comparable starting out, long term would likely have more opportunity for advancement at the new job. My main issue is job satisfaction. While the jobs are somewhat similar at a base level, I believe I would enjoy the new job much more. I currently work five days a week, six days a week 50% of the time, or more. New job would be four-tens, Monday through Thursday.
With two hours of driving, Monday - Thursday would be 12-hour days.
Long term, if I commute, I will try to sell the Explorer and get maybe a Corolla. I would need to save up for that to happen (just bought the RAV4). I would likely be driving the Tacoma most days. (In signature) (Maybe could pull 23-25 MPG??)
Or, long term, sell our current house and buy something closer. (That's a big deal, of course).
Thoughts?
That is a lot changes for a new job with slightly worse benefits and comparable salary. Why not acquire new skills and make yourself more valuable to your present employer and better your advancement opportunities.

First of all you should consider whether you like to drive. Second, you should consider what kind of driving will realistically be involved. This commute could be a low traffic breeze, but if you will face significant traffic, that would suck all the enjoyment out of it.
I drive about twenty five miles each way to work on mostly good two lane with blissfully moderate traffic through mostly corn and bean fields, so I find the drive enjoyable. It does provide some decompression time as well on the way home.
I did in the past consider much longer commutes in pursuit of advancement and decided against. I'm glad that I made that decision although others did choose differently.
You should also bear in mind that the grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you'll meet in any new job.

If you have kids, I'd probably pass unless I could be home at 5 or earlier(which would be early mornings), or move close to work again shortly after confirming its a good place to be.
I had an epiphany this year. For a few years I felt I left home 6 something, I got home 6 something, and now I have to bring my son to karate??! Well, he’s my son. He only has one dad. So half hour here and there adds up, making it impossible to be a part of kids’ lives during the work week…

Back