Champ PH500 vs PH1500

Does anyone know the differences between the Champ PH500 and the PH1500?

Seems to be the 500 is a combo valve vs the 1500 is a poppet valve?

I can't find the specs from Champ but the bypass on both seems to be 22psi

Thanks

Funny you should ask-I just talked to First Brands about the PH500, they ditched the combo valve for a “temperature variable bypass” valve, 16-28 PSI. Higher cold, lower hot.

Funny you should ask-I just talked to First Brands about the PH500, they ditched the combo valve for a “temperature variable bypass” valve, 16-28 PSI. Higher cold, lower hot.
I'd like to see the design of a "temperature variable bypass valve". At this point, I think First Brands customer service is making up some kind of misconcieved "explanation" on why a spring loaded bypass valve range is specified as 16-28 PSI.

Honestly, a nitrile combo valve should do kind of the same thing-stiffer when cold, softer when hot. Until it stiffens up like a rock from heat (my main issue with the combo valve).

Honestly, a nitrile combo valve should do kind of the same thing-stiffer when cold, softer when hot. Until it stiffens up like a rock from heat (my main issue with the combo valve).
No Fram made filters have a combo valve.

No Fram made filters have a combo valve.
With Fram & Champion Labs owned by the same company, and First Brands putting the Fram name on Champ jobber filters, it’s pretty much a matter of time. I have never been a combo valve fan, dating back to Wix made NAPA Silvers, but VIOC has been using the Champ made jobber VO-88 on our Transits since Valvoline switched from Purolator/M&H construction with no issues. I’ve personally ran ~150K worth of 7500 mile OCIs on them (not my decision). Next change coming up, I’ll save it, cut it, & post it to see how it did.

Cut open this used Champ PH500 today and there is no 'combo valve' or 'temperature variable' valve inside. In fact there is no pressure relief valve at all. Date code 012122EN.
Purchased through RockAuto for use on a 540,000 km 5.3L chev.
Not going to buy filters exclusively on price for this truck anymore.
And the oil is very black because I used a can of BG EPR flush before draining.

20240324_155310.jpg

20240324_155351.jpg

Link? I've never seen a "temperature variable valve" of any kind in any oil filter.
I guess I meant reply #2 in this topic. -we know there is no such thing, I'm just referencing it here to make the greater point that there is no pressure relief valve in this filter (sold as an equivalent to AC DELCO PF63)

Looks like that has the combo valve

The Champ Labs PH500 does cross over to a Fram 10575 which does have a bypass valve. Would have to see the base plate of that PH500 to see if it's a combo valve type design, but most likely it is a combo valve since there is obvious no bypass in the leaf spring on the dome end.

What's the base plate look like below the rubber ADBV? Does it have 2 sets of holes?

Agree with @ZeeOSix here. On the pics of the Champ PH500 filter, the baseplate is covered by the nitrile adbv. I 'suspect' if that was removed, a second central set of holes would be revealed. Those together with the adbv act as Champ's design type "combo valve", adbv and bypass in one. Though I'm confident that's the case with the PH500 shown, seeing the second set of baseplate holes would be the confirmation point. As the Champ filter shown is a low tier filter, wouldn't be surprising to see a combo valve used.

Thanks gentleman, I just learned something about oil filters!

View attachment 210467

View attachment 210468

The Fram Drive FD3600 I have sitting around has a combo valve too with a patent number printed on the dome of the can. You can read these document explaining how it works.

Back