Chainsaw recommendations please....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skellyman
Stihl or Husqvarna would be my choices.

+1. The higher end echos (not something you would find at HD) would also be an option IMO.

I have an Echo CS-450 and I love it. It cut through a thick oak with ease and softer woods like butter. It starts easy and runs great.

I've been pretty happy with a Stihl Farm Boss (290)with a 20 inch bar. Bought an additional "aggressive" chain for the really hard woods like eucalyptus robusta.

Whatever you decide, consider buying a bigger saw and bar than you think you'll need, even if it pushes the price up toward $400.

stihl_logo.jpg

The only thing to own!
thumbsup2.gif
MS290

As your limit is $300 your are very limited in your choices . You might want to save a few bucks ... And get a good reliable saw . The Stihl 290 would fit bill . Very reliable, heavy and under powered .
smile.gif

Stihl - Good products, but restrictive dealer setup. No parts manuals published online, you must go to a dealer for most parts beyond filters and plugs.

Husqvarna - Parts manuals made available to the public and many places can order parts for them. The downside is that Husq quality has been questionable over the last couple of years with many parts on backorder. They aren't what they used to be.

Echo - Parts manuals published online, easy to order parts, fairly reliable with good quality. They are owned by the same company as Shindaiwa.

Dolmar/Makita - Used to be really good, but not sure about current models. Expensive to buy with few dealers.

Redmax has a good reputation, but I have no personal experience with them.

Personally if I was in the market, there's a 99% chance I'd buy an Echo.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: webfors

What about model numbers? One thing I've learned over the years is that every brand has their budget line, some of which perform poorly.

So far I've got Husqvarna on the brain, a result from positive online reviews.

I think the model will depend a lot on what you are comfortable handling and how flexible your budget is. It is tough for us to judge what features are important to you.

You should take the Husqvarna reviews with a grain of salt. Most of the people posting those reviews either have very little experience with saws or they just moved up from a Wild Thing.
HEY don't insult wild things. I love mine it cuts pretty good and for 100 dollars I can't complain. I cut up about 16 cords of log length a year plus what I cut down throughout they year and the wood I cut with trees across the roads and things like that. But on a side note id reccomend a stihl farm boss

Originally Posted By: jdawg89
Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: webfors

What about model numbers? One thing I've learned over the years is that every brand has their budget line, some of which perform poorly.

So far I've got Husqvarna on the brain, a result from positive online reviews.

I think the model will depend a lot on what you are comfortable handling and how flexible your budget is. It is tough for us to judge what features are important to you.

You should take the Husqvarna reviews with a grain of salt. Most of the people posting those reviews either have very little experience with saws or they just moved up from a Wild Thing.
HEY don't insult wild things. I love mine it cuts pretty good and for 100 dollars I can't complain. I cut up about 16 cords of log length a year plus what I cut down throughout they year and the wood I cut with trees across the roads and things like that. But on a side note id reccomend a stihl farm boss

LOL, Poulan also has the "Predator" which you can get for $159 with a full case/kit.

What about Poulan Pro? Their 20" 50cc can be had for $170
grin.gif

My friend just came over with his Stihl ms180. That is one light saw and he's cut a few cords of wood up with it over the past two years.

I own a both a Stihl MS290 farm boss and a Stihl 018 (new model is a 180).
Both are great saws in their own right.
The MS290 will handle up to a 20" bar, I have an 18" on mine.
It is a bit heavy, but has good power and is built to last. I would use this saw if I had a large amount of firewood logs to saw up or for felling larger trees.

The 018 (180) is a smaller lighter duty saw. It only runs a 16" bar. The saw is light and has good power for its size. It has a tool free chain tightening system which works well. I use this saw for cutting smaller trees and clearing brush on my hunting trails. Its light weight is a blessing when I am carrying it for hours on my trails.

I think for the OP's needs, I would recommend The Stihl MS250.
I think a 16" bar is just to small for clearing normal size trees from a property. The MS250 comes with an 18" bar and msrp is $299.95. It looks to be the best bang for your buck, and a good power to weight ratio.

Originally Posted By: cronk
The MS290 will handle up to a 20" bar, I have an 18" on mine.
It is a bit heavy, but has good power and is built to last. I would use this saw if I had a large amount of firewood logs to saw up or for felling larger trees.

I agree i have a 290 purchased in 2011 and love it i don't think its heavy tho but thats me,fuel efficient also i think,very nice saw,used with non ethanol premium fuel at 40:1 the saw just screeems.

MS 290 3.8bhp 13.0lbs powerhead only
MS 261 3.75bhp 11.6lbs powerhead only

I know what one i would want to cary all day.

Last edited:
You guys need to get in shape,the 290 is not heavy(1.4lb heaver wow),and of course its going to be lighter,smaller displacement.

Originally Posted By: daman
You guys need to get in shape,the 290 is not heavy(1.4lb heaver wow),and of course its going to be lighter,smaller displacement.

yes you get it .05 less HP but 1.4lbs heaver its about power to weight not displacement.

Local dealer wants to get me into a Husq 445 for $370 (Canadian Dollars). Probably cheaper across the border.

I can't get over how small/light that ms180 was. Definitely a plus if you're going to be carrying it all day.

My daughter has the 445. It's a nice saw (and I am a Stihl guy).

Everyone has different needs, but I believe that a 50cc (+/- 5cc) size is the perfect saw for many. Big enough to tackle an occasional "bigger" tree (18"+), small enough to do trimming work and not get fatigued (weight). Within reason, the smallest saw matched to the work at hand will be safer and more efficient. If you don't cut for a living, I would not fret over a 1.4 lb. difference. Adjust your work mode.....take more frequent breaks if the weight is getting to you.

Bar length? Even though you can put a 20" on these saws, its pushing the efficiency.....it robs more power than the shorter bars. Weigh the pros and cons.

Choose your brand based on the ease to get parts and service. Chainsaw parts need to be renewed (sprockets, bars, chains, etc.) and they are prone to breakage from the nature of the work.

Narrow down your choices (price range/size) and try them out. Husky and Stihl are both great.

Have fun....be safe. Don't forget the PPE!

+1

I am happy with my Poulan "Wild thing". It is fine for a typical homeowner. I have cut down and chopped up over a dozen large trees with it. At first it did not idle very well, now that it is broken-in it runs very well. I use marine stabil in the fuel and I keep the chain sharp.

For a higher end saw I prefer the Husky's due to the excellent vibration isolation.

Originally Posted By: mva

+1

I am happy with my Poulan "Wild thing". It is fine for a typical homeowner. I have cut down and chopped up over a dozen large trees with it. At first it did not idle very well, now that it is broken-in it runs very well. I use marine stabil in the fuel and I keep the chain sharp.

For a higher end saw I prefer the Husky's due to the excellent vibration isolation.

I've got the Wild Thing's little brother, the "Wood Shark". I got it about 8 or 9 years ago at Menards for $80. I've cut a lot of wood with this thing, much of which has been much larger than it was ever intended to cut, and never done any real maintenance and I just can't seem to kill it. It bounces around in the tool box in my truck, I leave old gas in it all the time, and I've never even changed the spark plug. It always just starts right up and runs great no matter what. Eventually I'll probably replace it with a nicer and larger saw, but as long as this thing still gets the job done I plan to keep using it.

By the way for anyone that doesn't know, Poulan = Husqvarna.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: mva

+1

I've got the Wild Thing's little brother, the "Wood Shark". I got it about 8 or 9 years ago at Menards for $80. I've cut a lot of wood with this thing, much of which has been much larger than it was ever intended to cut, and never done any real maintenance and I just can't seem to kill it. It bounces around in the tool box in my truck, I leave old gas in it all the time, and I've never even changed the spark plug. It always just starts right up and runs great no matter what. Eventually I'll probably replace it with a nicer and larger saw, but as long as this thing still gets the job done I plan to keep using it.

By the way for anyone that doesn't know, Poulan = Husqvarna.

Now this is the type of real life experience I like to hear about... and on a $80 saw to boot
grin.gif

Regarding Poulan and Husqvarna being one in the same, their saws are no doubt different. I've looked a half a dozen of both brands the past week and they don't look, feel or smell alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back