Cerma Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I was doing some research and ran across a motor oil called Cerma.
Based out of Dennison,TX.
Have some interesting looking synthetic oils.
Anyone heard anything good/bad about those oils ?

Just curious.
Thank you.

Cerma_5w30_SumLabB1.jpg

Max_5w30_SumLabD1.jpg

Cerma was the first to utilize the acids and carbon within the engine oil to create a SiC coating across the entire surface of the engine.

Really? And how do you do that?

Where is the Scanning Electron Microscope pictures to prove that SiC is found on moving parts?

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly, MolaKule. (I operate a SEM.)

I've commented on Cerma before on this site. They talk a good talk and are one of the more successful snake oils in recent times.

I once went through their site and found one of the testimonials was from the product founder.... a big oops and a red flag.

Cerma additives and oils somehow got a reputation on a Veloster Turbo forum for having magical anti-LSPI properties when engines in those vehicles (apparently mostly modded) were brewing up...I fell for it and went through an expensive "treatment".
Nothing bad happened as far as I know, but I really wish I hadn't done that now.
Their website has a link to testing results from some branch of the Canadian government that showed Cerma reducing fuel consumption in a truck by 2%...it's worthy to note that the certificate mentions that the company provided no technical explanation for how its product supposedly worked.

BTW, I believe the official line from the company was to do a treatment cycle with the additive in your existing oil first and THEN to use the Cerma branded oil.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
BTW, I believe the official line from the company was to do a treatment cycle with the additive in your existing oil first and THEN to use the Cerma branded oil.

That "official line" is not stated in their motor oil ads. The throw out all kinds of inferences and innuendos but never clarify anything.

We went through this same kind of discussion about 15 years ago with Teflon containing-oils and Zmax in which none of the claims these companies made could ever be verified using real scientific instrumentation and industry standard test methodologies.

Consider this:

1) A motor oil is most dirty, is most soot laden, and has the highest carbon levels toward the end of its life. Is that when Cerma's supposed SiC technology kicks in and is most effective? It could not start forming with clean oils since there would not be enough carbon. And what happens when fresh detergents and dispersants are introduced at OC time?

2) Base oils and additives are composed of hydrocarbons and it is their specific structures and molecular arrangements that gets the job done.

3) From this company's literature, their SiC technology does not discriminate between soot carbons and the good carbon atoms found in base oils and additives.

Soooo, would not their SiC technology actually ROB the good carbon atoms from base oils and additives and actually degrade them both?

This is like hunting Mink. Mink are very elusive creatures and one has to approach them cautiously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

That "official line" is not stated in their motor oil ads. The throw out all kinds of inferences and innuendos but never clarify anything.
We went through this same kind of discussion about 15 years ago with Teflon oils and Zmax in which none of the claims these companies made could ever be verified using real scientific instrumentation and industry standard test methodologies.
Consider this:
1) A motor oil is most dirty, is most soot laden, and has the highest carbon levels toward the end of its life. Is that when Cerma's supposed SiC technology kicks in and is most effective? It could not start forming with clean oils since there would not be enough carbon. And what happens when fresh detergents are introduced at OC time?
2) Base oils and additives are composed of hydrocarbons and it is their specific structures and molecular arrangements that gets the job done.
3) From this company's literature, their SiC technology does not discriminate between soot carbons and the good carbon atoms found in base oils and additives.
Soooo, would not their SiC technology actually ROB the good carbon atoms from base oils and additives and actually degrade them both?

This is like hunting Mink. Mink are very elusive creatures and one has to approach them cautiously.

The company president was active on multiple fora and I exchanged a few emails with him before I bought the stuff...my memory is that he was telling us to do the additive treatment on "normal" fresh oil and then buy his oil for all changes after that.
I should mention that this was ONE of the company presidents, apparently there were two companies making and selling Cerma for a time and they were involved in some kind of litigation...I think the guy I was in contact with said the other guy was a salesman who stole the formula (memory is REALLY shaky on that one).
Like I mentioned before, I feel like I was a sucker for using the stuff and regret it now.

BTW, we used to see mink around the brook in our "backyard"...probably been 10 years since a sighting, though.
We also used to see and hear fishers until a ridiculous neighbor started paying to have them trapped because he thought they were eating his outdoor cats.
I much preferred the fishers as they didn't poop in our daughter's play area like the cats still do...

Hello all,
A little clarification.
I am not advocating the oil.
Just trying to find out some information about the oil.
I did find on the website if you click on the motor oil of your choice. Under there is a link to a spec sheet.
According to that the motor oil is API certified.
Why they are not showing the API certification on the bottle, who knows..

Have a wonderful New Years all.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 27
Humm Denison TX huh... They are located at near my town... never heard of them but for that price, i will stick to big company names.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fordman65
Hello all,
A little clarification.
I am not advocating the oil.
Just trying to find out some information about the oil.
I did find on the website if you click on the motor oil of your choice. Under there is a link to a spec sheet.
According to that the motor oil is API certified.
Why they are not showing the API certification on the bottle, who knows..
Have a wonderful New Years all.

I'd say those "meets or exceeds" statements are tacit admissions that the oil does not really have the certifications for those standards.
They might well meet the standard, but they haven't gone though the actual certification process.

Hello all,
My apologies.
I misread the oil spec sheet.
I also got an email response from Cerma.
Quoted from email response.
"No we are not API certified. The certification is a self reporting certification that costs $75.000 per sku to get certified. We start with an already API certified SN rated oil then reblend and add our SIC ad pack to the oil."

So they don't want to spend the money to get an actually API certification..

Sorry about my mis interpretation of info I stated.

All that aside.
I will probably stick with my Castrol or Kendall motor oil.
Maybe Pennzoil ultra synthetic if I can find the 10W-30 weight.

Not going to run due to it is not API certified.
Mistakingily I stated it was.
My apologies for that, but per the email response I got.
It is not API certified.

Originally Posted by fordman65
Not going to run due to it is not API certified.
Mistakingily I stated it was.
My apologies for that, but per the email response I got.
It is not API certified.

It's interesting to hear that they start with a somebody else's SN oil and then add their own stuff.
I guess that helps to explain the price...
I wonder how the additive in the oil differs from the standalone additive, the stuff I used came with the instruction to add it to oil that was at full operating temp....preferably with the car still running! I didn't care to see what would happen if I opened the oil fill cap with the engine going, so I had my daughter shut it down to let me remove the (hot metal) cap and dump the stuff in and then signaled to her to fire it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back