catapiller's fully synthetic diesel oil 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exact same oil, different colored bottle. Buy the one that is the cheapest. Avlube.com to buy Delvac I on line. Good price and they are a site supporter.

[ March 05, 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

My local CAT dealer knew nothing about this "new" oil. He looked up the part number and said it was available to foreign distributors only. Doesn't make any sense to me, but he says he can't order any. I ended up going to the local Mobil/Exxon outlet and bought Delvac 1...@ $75/4gal. case.

OkieG

One thing to consider when selecting the CAT version of DELVAC-1 one is API certification. The CAT data sheet implies API certification (shows the API Logo) but there is no listing for it on the API website. (See the following links)

http://eolcs.api.org/

http://www.cat.com/services/shared/...data_sheets/_datasheets/machlube/pehp7062.pdf

I sent emails to CAT and API asking for clarification on this question. CAT replied and said talk to the dealer. API hasn't responded. I am considering use of the CAT Synthetic 5w40 in my 2003 Duramax Diesel but, since GM requires an API "certified" oil to maintain the warranty, I would like to confirm it's "pedigree". Given CAT's reputation for quality, there is no question that CAT DEO 5w40 is excellent oil, but I would be nice to know if it is truly API certified.

Is there anyone on the forum who is using the CAT DEO 5w40 synthetic that could look at the container to see if it displays the API Logo?
smile.gif

OkieG

That a pretty good price $18.75 a gallon. I found Delvac 1 at my local Flying J Truck stop for $26.00/ gallon.

Does this mean you've selected an oil form your sod buster?

[ March 10, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Neil ]

hannaco,

Thanks for confirming the API logo the CAT DEO 5w40. Apparently the data on the API license website is not up to date.

here is the response from api about cat's synthetic diesel engine oil.
Cat DEO 5W-40 is not licensed by API, and I'm not sure why. API's program is voluntary, so Cat may have some reason why it didn't include the 5W-40 on the license. That vis grade has been licensed in the past.

If you're using the oil in a Cat vehicle or engine, you will probably be OK as long as it is acceptable under your vehicle's owners manual recommendations. If the recommendations say to stick with licensed oil, you may want to check with your dealer before using the oil. Make sure your warranty won't be affected.

We always recommend you work within Original Equipment Manufacturer recommendations.

Kevin Ferrick
American Petroleum Institute
Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System
1220 L Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
USA
Tel: 1 202 682

Niel,
The Delvac 1 is for my new Chev 2500 Duramax. Just changed out the original oil with the Delvac at 500 miles. Sounds like it may be a little cheaper than the CAT version...around here at least.

For the "sodbuster", I plan to try Syndurance, a Citgo blend at about $3/qt. at the next oil change.

OkieG

[ March 12, 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: OkieG ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back