Castrol Number One Oil in Canada WHY ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just reading that Castrol is the Number one oil in Canada why would anyone buy Castol at 11-12 a litre after the BP Gulf Oil Spill Fiasco ? If it was 1/2 the price then I might be more forgiving but when they charge premium prices for mostly a Group III base Oil (except for GC ) there are too many options IMO, for now I will stick with Toyota Synthetic 0w20 at around 5.70 a Litre and Amsoil when I want a little extra piece of mind.

Last edited:
I've seen the TV ad about this. What do they actually mean by number one oil in Canada? Sales? Sales on synthetic? Sales on conventional? "Best" conventional or "best" synthetic?

If they're talking best selling conventional, that I could swallow, considering that it's very easy to find it cheaply all the time. Best selling synthetic? Maybe, given the ridiculous amount of marketing they do up here. With respect to their price on synthetic, I'd agree with you.

I'd have no issue using GTX, and have used a lot of it. Their Syntec and Edge could use some major rollbacks, though.

Edit: This is a strange subforum to be using for this topic.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Easy. Its cheap up here. And tons of places use it (Ie: Mr Lube).

Castrol GTX at Walmart is like $11 for 5 quarts, thats a bargain.

That is the only reason nearest I can figure.

I should have mentioned I only buy Synthetic Oils...
Well yes BP is a Huge Company with deep pockets so lots of marketing power, but the fact that Castrol is owned by BP and what happened in the Gulf I can't believe people have such short memories ( or don't know about the BP connection ) I used to use Castrol years ago but I decided to avoid Castrol because they are responsible for the Group III base Oils being called Synthetic ( and Mobil decided if you can't beat em join em ) Not that there is anything wrong with group III oils but I resent paying synthetic prices for highly refined oils. Then the BP oil Spill and I will personally NEVER buy Castrol ( Unless it is half off of course ) And while I am at it why do Canadians pay so much more for Oil ( It seems we pay a premium for most products )

Last edited:
You give people too much credit these days then :p

Seriously, a CEO of a major company could club a dozen baby seals to death to sell the fur, profit off it, apologies, wait a few weeks, and come out saying he's better now and supports the environment, and donates a few measly bucks to a cause, all the money coming off the fur he sold.

And people would applaud at how good it is to be making a difference, and then carry on :p

Last edited:
Castrol does have the perception of being a premium product here on the west coast. Only the higher-end shops and QLs use it.

I buy Castrol for my motorcycle. Decent oil. Oil spills are part of the nature of that business. If you think any oil company wants to have a spill you are dead wrong. They do their best but there are always bumps in the road.

Originally Posted By: DanMiller
Yes that is the perception but they use Base III Oils and charge PAO ESTER Prices.

I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as they are sold on a performance and specifications basis, they can make it from whichever base stocks that will deliver the goods.

I don't think that the oil price in Canada is very high. It is lower than in 90% of coutries around the globe. Not as good as it used to be, though. Why I buy Castrol oils? A few reasons: 1. It is a European company. 2. The oil is sold in normal 1 litre containers, not 946 ml. A nice approach to steal 54 ml per bottle, or 5.4%. 3. They have a complete range of oils for any application readily available from CT.

its a well known brand for good price thats why its very popular...

everybody I know uses castrol even their sythetic for higher end cars.... where buying mobil1 from wallmart will save them money and offer better protection.

America follows brand names because we are told its good. Is shell good for cars? [censored] NO their ethenol kills cars in long run , but its shell... it must be amazing right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Easy. Its cheap up here. And tons of places use it (Ie: Mr Lube).

Castrol GTX at Walmart is like $11 for 5 quarts, thats a bargain.

That is the only reason nearest I can figure.

Seen GTX at Walmart yesterday. $11.88 for 4.4 L.

So, the entire issue was caused by BP etc and no blame can be directed at the company that was being contracted by BP to do the drilling?

You do realise the CEO of Transocean Ltd "Steve Newman" admitted at the Senate Hearing that his company was to blame.

Nice to see the need for a "British" or at least Non American scapegoat has not been forgotten.

Correct me if wrong,but I believe Castrol in the US is blended by Amalie oil company out of Florida.Not that that means anything,but BP isnt blending its own product here if correct.Sure are spilling plenty though...

It wasn't just the spill it was the way that BP handled it how many tons for chemicals did they dump in the ocean to HIDE the Oil ! While Castrol may be good oil I don't like the parent company BP or the fact they Castrol is resposible for selling what was know as Non Synthetic as Synthetic at top prices ! I would rather find another oil brand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back