Castrol Magnatec for 2007 Acura RDX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advice about engine oil for my 2007 Acura RDX (with only 48K miles). The 2007 RDX manual recommends Mobil 1 or an equivalent oil that satisfies the 'Honda/Acura HTO-06' requirements for the RDX's turbo engine. Up to now I've be taking the RDX to my local gas station's repair shop for a Mobil 1 oil change. That typically runs about $80 (with filter), but now I'm on a low fixed income so I need to start cutting expenses (where I it makes sense). The mechanic in that shop has offered to do a Castrol Magnatec oil change for $55 (with filter), but he tells me although Castrol Magnatec is a full-synthetic oil it is not 'HTO-06 approved'.

So I'd really appreciate hearing from you guys with 'oil-smarts' as to whether or not I should switch from Mobil 1 to Castrol Magnatec. At my age I'm not able to change my own oil so that's not an option.

Are you able to bring your own oil/filter? His price is very high for just an oil change. You could get your own mobil 1 from walmart and take advantage of their spring and fall rebates. Comes out to about 12-15 dollars for a 5 quart jug and 5 dollars for each filter after rebate..

HT-06 is such an old spec that it has probably been surpassed by most modern oils. Not sure I would worry about it much as long as you're using a decent quality proper weight oil.

Originally Posted by justintendo
Are you able to bring your own oil/filter? His price is very high for just an oil change. You could get your own mobil 1 from walmart and take advantage of their spring and fall rebates. Comes out to about 12-15 dollars for a 5 quart jug and 5 dollars for each filter after rebate..

I don't know about that - I'll ask him next week. But I need to get an answer to my question as I'm overdue for an oil-change.

welcome2.gif

Although Magnatec doesn't say HTO-06, it is probably OK to use since the newer oil specs have to take DI into account, and TGDI engines which are MUCH more demanding with oil than your RDX. I don't think your RDX is DI.

Even if you can't change your own oil, you could buy the oil yourself and pay someone on CL $10 to do the oil change. Some shops may also let you do the same, bringing in your own oil and filter. In that case, get Edge, PP, QSUD, or M1.

Walmart has HTO-06-rated oil and a filter for well under $30. You cab use the Fram PH7317 for the full OCI recommended by the MM. That orange can is very close, if not identical to, the OEM Honda oil filter.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
HT-06 is such an old spec that it has probably been surpassed by most modern oils. Not sure I would worry about it much as long as you're using a decent quality proper weight oil.

Well I've been using either 5W-20 or 5W-30 in and around So. Cal. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't be overly concerned about the HTO-06 spec and go for the Castrol Magnatec?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Although Magnatec doesn't say HTO-06, it is probably OK to use since the newer oil specs have to take DI into account, and TGDI engines which are MUCH more demanding with oil than your RDX. I don't think your RDX is DI.

Even if you can't change your own oil, you could buy the oil yourself and pay someone on CL $10 to do the oil change. Some shops may also let you do the same, bringing in your own oil and filter. In that case, get Edge, PP, QSUD, or M1.

Walmart has HTO-06-rated oil and a filter for well under $30. You cab use the Fram PH7317 for the full OCI recommended by the MM. That orange can is very close, if not identical to, the OEM Honda oil filter.

Thanks for the welcome and for that info ...but what is 'CL'?

Originally Posted by 35mm

Well I've been using either 5W-20 or 5W-30 in and around So. Cal. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't be overly concerned about the HTO-06 spec and go for the Castrol Magnatec?

Yup, keep using a good 5W30 and you're not going to have any issues at reasonable change intervals.

Yup, keep using a good 5W30 and you're not going to have any issues at reasonable change intervals.

I have the oil changed when the RDX's MID (maintenance minder) says "Service Due Soon/Now", which typically occurs after 4000 mi. or about 10 months. Is that okay?

Last edited:

I have the oil changed when the RDX's MID (maintenance minder) says "Service Due Soon/Now", which typically occurs after 4000 mi. or about 10 months. Is that okay?

At 4000 miles you'll be just fine.

[ctechbob]

^^I see you have several high mile Hondas. What oil/filter combo do you run in them?

I don't know about that - I'll ask him next week. But I need to get an answer to my question as I'm overdue for an oil-change.

No need to rush, so don't worry. If you're changing the oil/filter around 4000 miles consistently, you are fine. Little secret: You can safely go well over 4000 miles and your engine will be just fine.

Do you use this mechanic for all of your repair work ? If you do, explain to him your change in finances before asking if you can bring your own oil and filter.

As for the oil to use, do this - call a local Acura dealer, tell them what vehicle you have, and ask what oil they use. Bet it ain't Mobil 1 !

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
[ctechbob]

^^I see you have several high mile Hondas. What oil/filter combo do you run in them?

Currently Milesyn SXR5W30 and Partsmaster 61334 Filters (Made by Wix) I'll probably order another 5 Gallon bucket of the 5W30 although the SXR5W20 also worked well for all 3 of them.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...36809/re-it-just-doesnt-matter-sometimes

List of things I've used in my 2003 since I purchased it new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back