Castrol Elixion 5W-30 - now updated to CJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not dual rated but if i could find it i would run it in my avalanche and do a couple of uoa's. Is'nt it rated for like 35,000 miles in a diesel? wonder how long you could run it in a gasser? Was'nt the zddp level around 2400ppm?!!!

Last edited:
From the sheet:

CASTROL ELIXION is a technologically advanced fully synthetic diesel engine oil engineered to reduce operating costs while providing outstanding engine protection. CASTROL ELIXION offers the fuel economy benefits of a 5W-30 engine oil and combines it with certified API CJ-4 performance.

...and, a bit later:

Industry Specifications and OEM Approvals by Grade:

API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4

CAT ECF-3

Cummins CES 20081

Volvo VDS-4

Mack EO-O Premium Plus

MB Sheet-228.31 Product Data

laugh.gif

I beg to differ; that verbiage is NOT listed in the link you provided in your initial post. I see nothing greater than CI-4 listed in that intial post link.

Here's what I see on the site:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82915561&contentId=7019852
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int.../0-999/1854.pdf

Those two links do not mention CJ-4 for Elixion anywhere. That second link is the exact same one you posted. I do see CJ-4 for the Tection Extra and Hypuron, but not the Elixion.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see where you're right. The links don't support your statement. Perhaps there is a different link you're getting the info from?

Last edited:
Dave I clicked on your second link, and it pulls up a PDS for Elixion and only Elixion, no TE or Hypuron. Right on page 1 at the bottom I see exactly what the addyguy posted in the post just before yours - Industry Specifications .... API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4 ...

Wow! I don't see it at all. I seriously wonder if we're not getting differnt link returns. My apologies, but I still don't see what is claimed.

On the link I posted and the one addyguy posted, at the bottom right of the first page, above the Castrol logo in green and red, it reads:
"From No. 1854 NNM 12/31/2008" as a reference to the internal company document number.

Is that what you all see? Or, are you seeing a different document number? The document I see only covers CI-4 and CH-4, and Cummins 20078 among others (20081 is also absent).

I'm not a guru when it comes to internet stuff. Is it possible we're getting different document returns on the same querry? Does it have something to do with the browser? I'm lost at this point. I wish I could "snapshot" the return document and show you guys what I see, and vice-versa.

Yes, the CJ-4 comments I made about TE and Hyp were on differnt PDSs; sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
Nope, the pdf I get when I click on your link has no document number or date at all at the bottom of either of two pages.
Only "Product Data – Castrol Elixion" at the bottom, and only logo at the top of pg.1
The only thing I can guess is that the Castrol US servers are detecting the geographic region of the the requester (you or I), and directing to regional servers, which right now have different content associated with the same link pointer.

Last edited:
Dave, could it be you have visited that link before, and your browser is pulling up a cached copy instead of refreshing the pdf file?

I suppose anything is possible. Yes, I've visited that link many times before. (Probably isn't a lube link I haven't been to over the last two years ...)

What's the quickest way to check, and deletet the old PDF, and refresh with a new one?

Addyguy - again, my apologies!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I suppose anything is possible. Yes, I've visited that link many times before. (Probably isn't a lube link I haven't been to over the last two years ...)

What's the quickest way to check, and deletet the old PDF, and refresh with a new one?

Clear your browser's internet cache, close the browser, re-open, then navigate to the link and see if it's updated.

This process is different depending on browser and operating system.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

No worries, man! I'm just sorry you can't see what is being shown to discuss!

...let me know if you still can't get it, and maybe I can PM it to you?

Addyguy

got to be something with my browser at work; can see it at home with no problems.

technology is both a blessing and a curse at times ...

Last edited:
I really like the looks of this oil but it's not readily available, nor inexpensive in the few online places I have found. I keep hoping that more companies will jump on this bandwagon. If nothing else, just for ME ( : < )! I could then have one oil for everything! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Yes, very intriguing, indeed. Niche markets are often expensive, unfortunately.

To be honest, I would think that Amsoil's HDD or ACD would work very well in most applications (pre-2007, of course). The similar cost of Amsoil, and relative ease of attainment, make it as attractive as the Exlion.

But if it's light grades and CJ-4 you're after, then you're a captive audience for sure.

All these oils are just too rich for my blood (or maybe I'm just to tight fisted, but I digress). I'm getting such great service from the qt????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back