Castrol Edge 0w-40 "In Australia"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have purchased Castrol Edge 0w-40 for use in my Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, it is green and according to Castrol closely related to SLX Longtec.Looks like it may be a slighty bigger brother to your GC

The 0W40 has a K100 viscosity only 0.6 higher than the 0W30, making it the thinnest 40wt i have ever seen.

also its TBN is only 6.6, so dont expect it to run as long as the 0W30.

pour point and flash point are VERY similar however, to they probably use the same base stock.

the 0W40 is an API SM oil meeting BMW LL04, whereas the 0W30 "meets the engine test requirements" of SM, and is LL01. LL04 is NOT for extended drain intervals, despite the LL meaning long life". Both meet A3/B3 specs, so both should have very similar wear performance, possibly even the same additive pack (just a bit less ZDDP in the 0W40 maybe?)

closely related indeed, possibly the exact same thing, but with a bit higher VI and base viscosity to knock it into 40wt territory and keep it there over the non extended drain interval, and a bit less additives to get SM/LL01 approvals

It looks pretty good, should work well in your 6 cylinder.
We have the Edge 5w-40 here in SA, probably similar stuff.

Do you get the Edge 10w-60 as well?

Yes we do have the Edge 10w-60, After reading Dr Haas's article some 6 times, I believe it to be to thick, talking about 0w-20 oil's, a former Mechanic of our Ford Legend Mr Allan Moffat (Mick Webb) has his own bussiness and use's nothing else but Fuchs Titan GT1 0w-20 in Boss 260 & 290 engines and also the Falcon Turbo 6, 240 Kw motors with out any problems. I dont have the cohunas to try that, would Mr Haas be able to make a comment on using a 0w-20 Oil in such a performance motor, all though I believe I know his answer would be yes.

Regards
Jeff White

there is Edge 10W60 and Edge Sport 10W60, the "sport" version being the same as the german Formula RS, which seems to be the superior oil. the regular 10W60 has a pour point of -51C, which generally means it uses lots of VIIs to get to a 60wt rating.

BillionPA

Edge 10w-60 is the same as TWS Motorsport 10w-60 which is the same as pre-year 2000 Formula RS 10w-60. It's the "real deal" racing oil. Everything else is just OTC retail stuff to fill the shelves.

Cheers
JJ

xrhp6

I would stick with the 0-40 if I were you. As far as I am aware the average ambient temp in your neck of the woods is a bit high.
Having said that, it really is dependant on oil pressure and temperture and the UOA you get from your oil choice.

well thats extremely interesting, the Castrol Edge 0W40 products in england and germany both spec 6.6 on their online TDS.

also the AU version os BMW LL-01, and the other 2 are LL-04

to complicate matters further, the Italian Formula RS 0W40 is also LL-01 with a TBN of 10.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back