Cars are popular again!

My wife and I took a trip to Winnipeg and were amazed at how many 4 door sedans and small vehicles there were compared to large trucks and SUV's. The price of fuel is higher there as we all know. Personally, I don't mind driving a smaller vehicle and do appreciate the savings in fuel. Sure I could drive my truck but the Civic does great on gas. My wife and I always take the Jeep when we are together running around town. The Corvette is for trips and fun events and my truck is my boat tow vehicle.

IMO, people tend to buy more vehicle than they really need and then have to scrimp on other more enjoyable things to accommodate their payments as well as to fuel and insure it.
Guy who works for me is like this. European vacation? Nice winter cruise? Nope, a "vacation" to Hershey and a tweny year old Corvette of no real value plus payments on a half ton Ram and a new Challenger.
Stupid as can be, to me.

I agree. But sometimes when you have two vehicles in the fleet you can finagle getting to the appt schedule. Not everyone is putting 10k a month on their vehicles. Get older, drive less, extend the fleet. You’ll get there. I’ve got two cars. I know every squeak that sounds unusual and I schedule an appointment. My cars haven’t gotten to 10-12 years by ignoring things. Gotta find a good Indy. Neither car has been to the dealer since I bought them.

IMO, people tend to buy more vehicle than they really need and then have to scrimp on other more enjoyable things to accommodate their payments as well as to fuel and insure it.
Guy who works for me is like this. European vacation? Nice winter cruise? Nope, a "vacation" to Hershey and a tweny year old Corvette of no real value plus payments on a half ton Ram and a new Challenger.
Stupid as can be, to me.
Some people value what they can have and use everyday rather than the once or twice a year expense of a cruise or European holiday.

Honda is hanging in there too, several trims are available with a 6-speed. Honda's CVT seems to be quite reliable if properly maintained.
I like the look of the new Civics, especially the Si. I'd definitely buy a 6-speed Civic, unfortunately the dealer markup is insane on anything fun. I'm fortunate enough where I can afford it, but I'm not dumb enough to pay more for something than I think it is worth. Some of these places want crazy money for a Civic Si. The whole "allocation" thing for a fun car is stupid. If they are popular, they should build and sell as many as possible.

Well the Honda Civic and Accord has always been popular..... :D
Even those popular models are down in sales. Honda sold 154K Accords in the US last year, and 133K Civics. Those numbers are 1/3 to 1/4 what they were a decade earlier and that is despite absorbing sales from however-many different other cars that have been discontinued since then.

Even those popular models are down in sales. Honda sold 154K Accords in the US last year, and 133K Civics. Those numbers are 1/3 to 1/4 what they were a decade earlier and that is despite absorbing sales from however-many different other cars that have been discontinued since then.
Maybe they were discontinued because they could not compete with the Civic and Accord.. I am sure that if Honda felt like they are loosing money on the two they would have dropped it too..I am sure the Camry would have been dropped too by Toyota too... But these are great cars and still sell well for Honda and Toyota,,,

Maybe they were discontinued because they could not compete with the Civic and Accord.. I am sure that if Honda felt like they are loosing money on the two they would have dropped it too..I am sure the Camry would have been dropped too by Toyota too... But these are great cars and still sell well for Honda and Toyota,,,
My point being, nearly all regular car models have lost sales over the past decade. Some of them substantially so. Where have those sales gone to? Trucks and SUVs.

Of course, someone is going to come on here and cherry pick their favorite car as an exception. They always do. :rolleyes: I am generalizing here.

Back