Car Wash-Kerosene & Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father use to wash the car every year after the winter in kero also. never hurt anything, as to why it is not promoted, think, throwing kero out into the enviorment, not a thing to promote.

Ugh.
thumbsdown.gif

Besides the possibility it could play havoc with trim and be hard on any glued-down items on your car, I don't really see the point of doing this. This trick is very old school and there are better ways to keep your car looking good.

I think (not 100% sure) that kerosene contains oil in it, which is why it beads water and makes things slick. You may as well spray Pam on the car.
tongue.gif

In the Army Diesel is used to make the flat paint shiny on the vechiles. It attracts dust quickly but looks good for a while.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
In the Army Diesel is used to make the flat paint shiny on the vechiles. It attracts dust quickly but looks good for a while.

It also is a trick farmers use when selling old farm equipment, they spray it with kero or diesel and it shines like a new penny.
smile.gif

I think the problem that Zaino ran into was the users of the product. The term 'Zaino Zealot' arose because of the way Zaino users would push the product. I was a Zaino Zealot at one time. Nobody could convince me that Zaino wasn't the best product out there.

I've come to learn that there is no 'best' product. People have different needs and demands when it comes to taking care of a vehicle's finish. Some want to wax once a year while others wax every few weeks. Some like the shine of Zaino while others like the depth of a carnauba. The ability to apply the product in the sun or colder temps is an attraction for many people. Then you have the people who are convinced that if Wal-Mart doesn’t carry it, then it's not worth using.

I have a good-sized detailing 'arsenal' with products from Zaino, Klasse, Clearkote, Poorboy’s World, Meguair’s and a sprinkling of others. Zaino and Klasse win hands down in durability. Zaino goes on and comes off a bit easier than Klasse. Both give a great shine. Zaino requires a little more prep than Klasse though. Meguiar’s offers a wide selection of excellent products targeted at specific solutions such as cleaning, polishing and swirl removal. Clearkote and Poorboy’s World also offer some excellent wax products that are well-regarded.

Using kerosene to wash and/or wax a vehicle would be like using it or ATF as an engine flush. You can do it, but there are much better ways of getting the results you want.

I have never used kerosene on the exterior paint, but in our car wash if we don't spray the chasis, wheel wells, and wheels of the cars and trucks with diesel people will not come back. then insist on the shine on the chasis, even though it eventually rots the brake lines and rubber bushings. We go through at least 100 gallons a month. We don't use it on our own vehicles, and try not to do it on others. It supposedly keeps the parts from rusting, but in reality, with 95% dirt roads, within a couple of km it has absorbed enough dust and dirt to look worse than without.

The man that owned my '64 Chevy P/U before me washed his truck and the engine with kerosene just about every day they told me. He was the original owner of the truck. I was told the truck rusted out due to his excessive washing. Whether or not the kerosene contributed to the rusting I don't know.

I sure as **** am not going to ever wash with kerosene.

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
I have never used kerosene on the exterior paint, but in our car wash if we don't spray the chasis, wheel wells, and wheels of the cars and trucks with diesel people will not come back. then insist on the shine on the chasis, even though it eventually rots the brake lines and rubber bushings. We go through at least 100 gallons a month. We don't use it on our own vehicles, and try not to do it on others. It supposedly keeps the parts from rusting, but in reality, with 95% dirt roads, within a couple of km it has absorbed enough dust and dirt to look worse than without.

You guys don't have any problems with ground water contamination do you?

[ September 25, 2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Bartman ]

The contamination from this is minor compared to the tradition and practice of everyone except us. People believe that the best use for used oil ispouring it on the shoulders, dirt roads, parking lots, and anywhere else where dust is a problem. I've tried campaigns and talking with the people at the environmental protection office, but even they say it's better to keep the dust down.

cool.gif
Washing with kero is just an old timer's thing from back in the day (way, way, back). Sure it's smooth and beads water because there is a coat of oil on the car. Probably will take off any wax you have too. I use Armor All car wash and dry it with a Cali wiper blade and my wax lasts a lot longer.

my grandfather always used kerosene on his old cars.he said back in the early days you he never herd of wax or even seen it till around 1950.plus all the old paint was laqure paint and it liked the oil in k-1.i have his 1928 chrysler now and there is no rust and it still shines up good every sping when i wash it with water and k-1.it is all org.now my new car i use either maguires or mothers pretty easy to get ahold of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back